Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's your phobia?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

I don't know if it's a phobia exactly. For me it's mottled patterns, something like this:
    cochin_mottled_hen_poster-r79ae24f3a0634a348e1fd127da0774cf_iqw_8byvr_324.jpg

I'm not afraid in a "bogey man" sense but I get a weird twisty feeling in my tummy, and sort of break out in a sweat and breathe fast and can't look at the image without making weird faces. I don't even know if there is a name for it? Closest I found is trypophobia, fear of small holes in things - which is close as I feel the same way about beehives etc :eek:

Edit: ok (picks self up off floor) - just did a google image search for "tryptophobia test" - oh ffs!!!!!!! I actually nearly got sick!!! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭s.m

mottephobia - fear of moths
    the creepy buggers

• Registered Users Posts: 5 buubba

Selenophobia- moon O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Mar Mar Marmalade

I have the cliched Acrophobia :D

I remember when I was younger I couldn't even go on this climbing obstacle course with my friends not even for the course yet, but the steps leading up to the top where you would start off. Each step had a large gap between them so you could see all the the way down to the ground :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭madness98

Jellyfish Phobia

The thought of them just puts me right off. I always see myself swimming in the sea and getting stung or surrounded. Eugh..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭brilou23

this is a weird one dunno if its a phobia i cant eat other peoples cooking except gf and mothers i can eat if they person was cooking in deli chipper or resturant but if anywhere else i cant. if any1 touchs my food or drink cant eat it or if anyone stays over at are house and eats are food i cant eat the food in the house till the next shop. hardly need to see a shrink lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Trypophobia. Those patterns actually make my stomach flip... :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 33 atog

scared of snakes

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Maria1986

My phobias are Thunder and lightning, and Frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 atog

social awkwardness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭jamie124

I am incredibly afraid of Spiders (BIGGEST FEAR) , Wasps and Bees and basically anything that can sting or harm but i dont think Spiders in Ireland can harm you or bite??? (I HOPE) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭michael.dublin

dogs.... no matter how big or small they are

• Registered Users Posts: 3 grouplout

Fish. Can't stand how they wiggle. Crazy I know.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭AlanS181824

I've severe arachnophobia....

Spiders make me so uneasy...

I see one and it's either run for the next room or send the girlfriend in with the hoover! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Trypophobia too, but it's only recently I've realised I have it.
    Always hated things with holes in it as a kid.
    If I saw a slice of cheese with holes in it, I'd cut it so the hole was gone.
    Can anyone explain why fear of holes is such a horrible thing and something we find disgusting?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

Pregnancy.

I will never go through it. I get very distressed even at the thoughts of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

therealme wrote: »
    Pregnancy.

I will never go through it. I get very distressed even at the thoughts of it.

I used to be the same but then I reminded myself that millions of women have done it; women who I'd have thought were wusses and made it out the other end fine, so I reckon it's fine and doable!

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭therealme

fussyonion wrote: »
    I used to be the same but then I reminded myself that millions of women have done it; women who I'd have thought were wusses and made it out the other end fine, so I reckon it's fine and doable!

I can't even think of all those - I actually hate looking at pregnant women. It REALLY freaks me out. Everything about the 40 weeks repulse me. I can't listen to ANY of my friend's birth stories - regardless of how"easy" it was.

Good luck when you go through it though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭LeonardNelson

I'm afraid to rats and frogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tom75

I'm afraid of first pint.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

roxychix wrote: »
    belly buttons they freak the hell out of me.

My own freaks me out, I can't cope if anyone even talks about mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭daviecronin

I know its not weird but heights! Not just heights but what also scares me a lot is looking up at tall buildings and imaging them falling on me!! Being on top isn't the best either - And yes I was in New York twice hhaahah! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 littlebuddy84

Heights and crabs :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭littlemouse22

Spiders although I think the term Phobia may be underated in my case, horrible creatures!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭HeathenWolf

I used to, and still to an extent have a fear of looking straight up into the sky. I love looking up at the sky now as long as it's not from a certain height (a hill, for example) because it makes me extremely uncomfortable and then I have to walk down from the hill with my eyes trained to the ground, blocking out all view of the sky. It was really bad when I was younger, it always felt like I was about to fall into the sky (which sounds really weird but it's the only way you could describe the feeling)

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Viva La Gloria

Ohhhh, what a terrible time of year to suffer from arachnophobia. Would easily trade it for a gut wrenching fear of heights or snakes...at least then there's no way you can be surprised by them in your bedroom :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,191 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I count peoples fingers. I think it relates back to a TV documentary I daw as a kid about an inbreed community somewhere in america, and a lot of the children had only 3 or 4 fingers. Even now , forty years later, i sometimes get a shiver when I get a glimpse of what looks like a person with 3 or 4 fingers. Amputees are no problem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 valkyriec

Im arsonphobic :/ its terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭edber2011

Snakes,i absolutely loathe them.Crocidiles are a close second.These creatures are not needed on this planet as far as im concerned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

Hi

I have a phobia of bees, wasps, basically anything that buzzes.
    I was stung on the hand once by a wasp when i put my hand down on the grass by accident, I can't see so I didn't know it was there so as not to put my hand down.
    I also got stung, well, an attempted one, while i was outside in the grounds of a hospital (was in for an op and just went to get some fresh air)
    also, because he thought it was funny, when i was smaller, my a*** hole of a cousin would catch bees/wasps in a jar, and put them close to my ear, and say he would let them out. It was horrible.
    These things, coupled with the fact that i can't see which buzzy thing something is when it comes into a room, has lead to a massive massive phobia. I can sit in the garden if there's people who i know can see about, and who i know will watch out for me, but could never do it on my own, unless i have headphones in so i won't hear them.
    Is there any way i can get over this, and if there's any way to tell things apart by their buzzes i'd really appreciate this also. :)

Advertisement