Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info req re moving family to Oz

• 28-02-2012 3:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys and gals, Im looking for info on the above. Were both over 33 and with a 1 yr old baby. Were both have degrees in Hotel Mgt, which doesnt seem to be on the sol list. the info im looking for, is there much chance of us getting a visa and where should I go to enquire. Shud we try and do a 1 yr course in something that is req?

Morgan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

A one year course won't really get you anywhere, it's about experience and skills, you can talk to a migration agent, but they are not cheap (make sure they are MARA certified)

By the sounds of it best option is to apply for jobs and hope for sponsorship - There seems to be a shortage in the hospitality industry (but maybe not for visas)

• Registered Users Posts: 23 caroline32

http://www.liveincanberra.com.au/index.html
    you could check out this site, there was a programme on 2fm last week about the government recruitment for this area.
    http://www.globaltradesearch.com.au/contact.html
    this site is an irish recruitment agency, whos based in australia and comes to ireland often to recruit.

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭MorganIRL

@hussey @caroline32 thanks for your help, caroline there some great sites with good info. I ve had a lease in a bar now for 3 yrs, so looking for info from people that have being self employed and gone back to working for people, any ideas

Morgan

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

MorganIRL wrote: »
    Hi Guys and gals, Im looking for info on the above. Were both over 33 and with a 1 yr old baby. Were both have degrees in Hotel Mgt, which doesnt seem to be on the sol list. the info im looking for, is there much chance of us getting a visa and where should I go to enquire. Shud we try and do a 1 yr course in something that is req?

Morgan

If either of you were hotel/ cafe or restaurant managers you could be eligible be the 457 (employer sponsored) visa as these occupations are on the list

http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/booklets/books9.pdf

I can tell you right now in Melbourne there is loads of work in hospitality. The city is jammed full of restaurants/hotels and cafes and good staff are always needed.

In my case me and my girlfriend after one day of looking for work we had eight interviews lined up and we could pick and choose where we wanted to work. We were even able to turn down offers from Two Hat (The aussie version of Michelin) restaurants after we found supervisory roles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

In my case me and my girlfriend after one day of looking for work we had eight interviews lined up and we could pick and choose where we wanted to work. We were even able to turn down offers from Two Hat (The aussie version of Michelin) restaurants after we found supervisory roles.

I follow a few chef's on twitter they are always looking for staff (mainly chefs/waiters etc) but I did see some other hospitality roles

OP I know you said hotel management, but just giving other options

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

hussey wrote: »
    I follow a few chef's on twitter they are always looking for staff (mainly chefs/waiters etc) but I did see some other hospitality roles

OP I know you said hotel management, but just giving other options

No matter where you are in world there are usually always vacancies in hospitality in some shape or form. There are very high rates of staff turnover in the industry.

Advertisement