Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hurler of the Year 2012

• 20-05-2012 9:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

I know we havnt seen any of the matchs yet but ye always expect someone to excel each year so wat are yer predictons.

2012 Hurler of the year 92 votes

Tommy Walsh
    0% 0 votes
    Henry Shefflin
    11% 11 votes
    Michael Fennelly
    4% 4 votes
    Pauric Maher
    6% 6 votes
    Joe Canning
    10% 10 votes
    Eoin Larkin
    44% 41 votes
    Conor O Mahony
    16% 15 votes
    Eoin Kelly (Tipp)
    0% 0 votes
    John Gardiner
    2% 2 votes
    Liam Rushe
    0% 0 votes
    Conor Mcgrath
    3% 3 votes
    Conor Lehane
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

It's definitely going to be Henry Shefflin, or else Richie Power, or Michael Fennelly or Padraic Maher or else one of Tommy Walsh, Lar Corbett, John Mullane, Joe Canning, JJ Delaney or if it's none of those it will be someone else that hurls for either Kilkenny, Cork, Tipperary, Galway, Limerick, Waterford, Clare, Dublin, Wexford, Offaly or Antrim

That's my prediction

• Registered Users Posts: 14,232 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Lehane by a country mile

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Lehane by a country mile

Danny Sutcliffe at 16/1 for young hurler is my shout. As for the senior, Eoin Larkin would be a good outside bet. Had a solid league campaign. Other than that, sure it could be anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Declan Hannon/Shane Dowling

• Registered Users Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Lehane for young hurler, Power for player of the year if he comes back from injury, Tommy Walsh to win it if he doesn't. Early days yet though so it's anyones guess, will be hard to beat Lehane to young hurler of the year though he's been quality thus far

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    Danny Sutcliffe at 16/1 for young hurler is my shout. As for the senior, Eoin Larkin would be a good outside bet. Had a solid league campaign. Other than that, sure it could be anyone.

Sutcliffe not going to miss part of the champo through injury?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,581 ✭✭✭eigrod

Surprised to see John Gardiner in that list. Will be doing well to keep his place for the year. Would have Shane O' Neill, Patrick Horgan, Darren Sweetnam and others on it from Cork long before John Gardiner.

Joe Canning for me, if he stays fit. Unmarkable when he's on form.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭Yeboah

the usual KK suspects will be in the running: Walsh,Larkin,Fennelly,Shefflin....if Cork have a decent year Sweetnam or Lehane for Young Hurler...Id take a punt on Padraic Maher, very consistent player and if Tipp get to a final, will have a good shout for it

AGC wrote: »
    Sutcliffe not going to miss part of the champo through injury?

Nope.

http://www.herald.ie/sport/gaa/sutcliffe-to-lift-the-blues-3108501.html

Also, just saw this...

http://www.thescore.ie/at-odds-put-your-money-on-sutcliffe-455994-May2012/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Can't see how anyone from outside of Tipp and KK can win it, so with that in mind I would say Padraic Maher and Eoin Larkin wiould be my two against the field, with Seamie Callinan a lively outsider if rumours from Tipp camp are to be believed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭OAOB

I'll go with Colin Fennelly, reckon he could be a goal machine for Kilkenny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭cgpg5

Lehane shoe in for young player surely with N.Burke and Sweetman (if he starts) not far off.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

Hope Lar Corbett has a thing or two to say about all this.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

See the problem as I see it with that article as I see it (second article) is that while you'd get more money if Sutcliffe wins it, if Lehane wins it you'll get no money, where as you would if you bet on Lehane, and Lehane is going to win it. Sutcliffe also played midfield against Cork, so I don't see where this stuff about Gardiner is coming out of, he was on Sean Og, who I reckon should definitely be dropped for Cork.

Hurler The Year is a difficult one to call, it's way too early really to be talking about it. Padraic Maher was hurler of the year for most of last year, probably up until the final. The year before it was between Fennelly and Brendan Maher, and Lar Corbett won it. I'd say Power or Larkin would be decent bets, Noel McGrath was the man in the league for Tipp from what I saw. I'll believe it when I see it with Seamus Callinan, last time I saw him he was destroyed by Wayne Hutchison playing for Drom/Inch.

Haha what is Conor O'Mahony doing in that list by the way, or Conor McGrath? O'Mahony is decent, but no where near that good and while Conor McGrath is excellent, he plays for Clare.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 106 ✭✭Mike O' Brien

Why am I not nominated?!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

Unlikely that a Waterford player would win hurler of the year since it is inevitable it will be a Tipp or Kilkenny player but Brick Walsh and John Mullane are surely a better bet than a good few on that list

A few people getting carried away with Lehane. Kilkenny didn't give him a sniff in the league final and while he is a huge prospect he won't be winning hurler of the year in his first proper season at senior

Hurler The Year is a difficult one to call, it's way too early really to be talking about it. Padraic Maher was hurler of the year for most of last year, probably up until the final. The year before it was between Fennelly and Brendan Maher, and Lar Corbett won it. I'd say Power or Larkin would be decent bets, Noel McGrath was the man in the league for Tipp from what I saw. I'll believe it when I see it with Seamus Callinan, last time I saw him he was destroyed by Wayne Hutchison playing for Drom/Inch.

Haha what is Conor O'Mahony doing in that list by the way, or Conor McGrath? O'Mahony is decent, but no where near that good and while Conor McGrath is excellent, he plays for Clare.

Re. Seamie Callinan, club hurling and intercounty are two completely different games and played at the opposite end of the callender year, have a look at Lar Corbett's form at club level, its nothing short of shocking.

COM on the list is hardly that absurd, he is the CB for the second favourites for the AI, has 2 allstars in that position and at 27 should be in he's prime, I dont think he will win it myself but certainly stranger things have happened.

Conor McGrath is an excellent talent and I quite fancy Clare to upset Waterford in the Munster Semi, that would mean he would be then in a Munster Final and would also be having an appearance in Croke Park, why is that anymore ludicrous than Joe Canning, what are Galway going to win this year??

See the problem as I see it with that article as I see it (second article) is that while you'd get more money if Sutcliffe wins it, if Lehane wins it you'll get no money, where as you would if you bet on Lehane, and Lehane is going to win it.

It's taken me about a day to try and work out this little riddle. The odds imply that Lehane is over 6 times as likely to receive Young Hurler of the Year than Sutcliffe, I can't agree with that and I can't see any value whatsoever in Lehane, but if you think he is more than 38% likely to win the award then fill your boots. I defnitely see Sutcliffe as more than a 6% shout.
    Sutcliffe also played midfield against Cork, so I don't see where this stuff about Gardiner is coming out of, he was on Sean Og, who I reckon should definitely be dropped for Cork.

It's fairly widely accepted, the last quotes below are from Ryan O'Dwyer and Sutcliffe himself on the matter.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0312/1224313151433.html

Lehane finished with three points, but his contribution was bettered by Dublin wing forward Danny Sutcliffe, named at centrefield but switched with Simon Lambert, on just his second league outing. Including a rhythmic three points from play in four minutes, the St Jude’s man shot five to land the TG4 Man of the Match award.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0328/sport/no-fear-of-leagues-being-hurt-188627.html

especially the likes of Danny Sutcliffe, who has starred against John Gardiner and Tommy Walsh.

http://www.southernstar.ie/article.php?id=3321

It was rough justice on the Dubs, who looked the better team for long stretches of the second half when Danny Sutcliffe made a huge impact against John Gardiner, who was way off the pace at wing back for Cork.

http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/8581-The-GAA-Thread/page296?p=1040177&viewfull=1#post1040177

Danny Sutcliffe from Dublin has taken john gardiner and Tommy Walsh to the cleaners in the last 3 weeks.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0328/1224314004649.html

http://www.reservoirdubs.com/forum/index.php/topic,14209.msg522500.html?PHPSESSID=96bfe1d2fa735cd47140796d860a8c27#msg522500

Sutcliffe was terrific. Destroyed John Gardiner. We have a real talent here.

“Danny Sutcliffe, like, he goes out one week and plays wing back against Galway and plays a stormer. Goes out against Cork and John Gardiner is taken off. How often do you see that?

“I was joking with Danny in the showers after and I said, ‘Jeez, when I was playing with Tipp, John Gardiner finished my Tipp career, you’re after finishing his Cork career’.”

http://www.theliberty.ie/2012/05/01/danny-sutcliffe-previews-dublins-chances-in-the-shl/

“Having watched people like John Gardiner and Tommy Walsh for years on television it felt great to finally pit myself against them.”

I re-watched the game this morning. Sutcliffe was on Gardiner from about 30mins in, when he had a goal chance saved in the 35th minute (subsequently got a point) and when he scored three points in four minutes (48th to 53rd minute) in the second half. He was given Man of the Match too, despite the defeat (and Lehane was very impressive also). Had been one of Dublins best players in a poor overall performance in Salthill in the previous outing, and was certainly Man of the Match the next week against Kilkenny also.

0-1 against Galway
    0-5 against Cork
    2-3 against Kilkenny
    0-2 against Tipperary
    0-1 against Waterford
    0-3 against Galway (0-0 in the replay)

Averaging 3.0 points per game to Lehane's 3.3, in a team that was relegated thats not a bad return at all. I'm not arguing that Sutcliffe is a better player, or had a better league. Just trying to back up my argument that there is no value in Lehane at 13/8 and value in Sutcliffe at 16/1.

0-7 against Waterford
    0-3 against Dublin
    0-5 against Galway
    0-1 against Kilkenny
    1-2 against Tipperary
    0-2 against Tipperary
    0-0 against Kilkenny

Re. Seamie Callinan, club hurling and intercounty are two completely different games and played at the opposite end of the callender year, have a look at Lar Corbett's form at club level, its nothing short of shocking.

COM on the list is hardly that absurd, he is the CB for the second favourites for the AI, has 2 allstars in that position and at 27 should be in he's prime, I dont think he will win it myself but certainly stranger things have happened.

Conor McGrath is an excellent talent and I quite fancy Clare to upset Waterford in the Munster Semi, that would mean he would be then in a Munster Final and would also be having an appearance in Croke Park, why is that anymore ludicrous than Joe Canning, what are Galway going to win this year??

I'd probably agree about Canning but he'll always have the media onside.

Clare may well upset us, I don't mean to sound arrogant with that but can you really see them advancing as far as an all-ireland semi, which you yourself have said is when player of the year begins to be decided?

I won't entertain Conor O'Mahony as a suggestion for player of the year, I would put everything I own (admittedly not an awful lot in the scheme of things) on him not even being nominated. Can't remember the last time someone said he'd an outstanding game, and I've seen him mix playing well enough with being poor.

As for Callinan, he's still young and no doubt has the talent, but to be fair Premier you can understand why I'd be at the very least reserved about him, given some of his performances for the county. Wouldn't see him as a big game player, which is what you need to be to win Player of The Year. We've all heard of the lad that's flying in training before, doesn't mean he'll win player of the year, though he could well be in contention for an all-star because he has the talent I just don't see two back to back truly excellent performances from him at the business end of the year.

It's taken me about a day to try and work out this little riddle. The odds imply that Lehane is over 6 times as likely to receive Young Hurler of the Year than Sutcliffe, I can't agree with that and I can't see any value whatsoever in Lehane, but if you think he is more than 38% likely to win the award then fill your boots. I defnitely see Sutcliffe as more than a 6% shout.

It's fairly widely accepted, the last quotes below are from Ryan O'Dwyer and Sutcliffe himself on the matter.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0312/1224313151433.html

Lehane finished with three points, but his contribution was bettered by Dublin wing forward Danny Sutcliffe, named at centrefield but switched with Simon Lambert, on just his second league outing. Including a rhythmic three points from play in four minutes, the St Jude’s man shot five to land the TG4 Man of the Match award.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/archives/2012/0328/sport/no-fear-of-leagues-being-hurt-188627.html

especially the likes of Danny Sutcliffe, who has starred against John Gardiner and Tommy Walsh.

http://www.southernstar.ie/article.php?id=3321

It was rough justice on the Dubs, who looked the better team for long stretches of the second half when Danny Sutcliffe made a huge impact against John Gardiner, who was way off the pace at wing back for Cork.

http://www.munsterfans.com/threads/8581-The-GAA-Thread/page296?p=1040177&viewfull=1#post1040177

Danny Sutcliffe from Dublin has taken john gardiner and Tommy Walsh to the cleaners in the last 3 weeks.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0328/1224314004649.html

http://www.reservoirdubs.com/forum/index.php/topic,14209.msg522500.html?PHPSESSID=96bfe1d2fa735cd47140796d860a8c27#msg522500

Sutcliffe was terrific. Destroyed John Gardiner. We have a real talent here.

“Danny Sutcliffe, like, he goes out one week and plays wing back against Galway and plays a stormer. Goes out against Cork and John Gardiner is taken off. How often do you see that?

“I was joking with Danny in the showers after and I said, ‘Jeez, when I was playing with Tipp, John Gardiner finished my Tipp career, you’re after finishing his Cork career’.”

http://www.theliberty.ie/2012/05/01/danny-sutcliffe-previews-dublins-chances-in-the-shl/

“Having watched people like John Gardiner and Tommy Walsh for years on television it felt great to finally pit myself against them.”

I re-watched the game this morning. Sutcliffe was on Gardiner from about 30mins in, when he had a goal chance saved in the 35th minute (subsequently got a point) and when he scored three points in four minutes (48th to 53rd minute) in the second half. He was given Man of the Match too, despite the defeat (and Lehane was very impressive also). Had been one of Dublins best players in a poor overall performance in Salthill in the previous outing, and was certainly Man of the Match the next week against Kilkenny also.

0-1 against Galway
    0-5 against Cork
    2-3 against Kilkenny
    0-2 against Tipperary
    0-1 against Waterford
    0-3 against Galway (0-0 in the replay)

Averaging 3.0 points per game to Lehane's 3.3, in a team that was relegated thats not a bad return at all. I'm not arguing that Sutcliffe is a better player, or had a better league. Just trying to back up my argument that there is no value in Lehane at 13/8 and value in Sutcliffe at 16/1.

0-7 against Waterford
    0-3 against Dublin
    0-5 against Galway
    0-1 against Kilkenny
    1-2 against Tipperary
    0-2 against Tipperary
    0-0 against Kilkenny

Fair enough, I watched it on tv and obviously got it wrong. Don't get me wrong he was outstanding against Cork, and I'd loved to have seen him against Kilkenny but I could see Cork progressing further than Dublin, and I just think Lehane is different class. My point was there would be no point in betting on someone that won't win. Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit but there's a reason the bookies have stretched Sutcliffe's odds out that little bit further I reckon.

I look forward to watching both this summer though, exciting to see such good young hurlers.

• Advertisement

I'd probably agree about Canning but he'll always have the media onside.

Clare may well upset us, I don't mean to sound arrogant with that but can you really see them advancing as far as an all-ireland semi, which you yourself have said is when player of the year begins to be decided?

I won't entertain Conor O'Mahony as a suggestion for player of the year, I would put everything I own (admittedly not an awful lot in the scheme of things) on him not even being nominated. Can't remember the last time someone said he'd an outstanding game, and I've seen him mix playing well enough with being poor.

As for Callinan, he's still young and no doubt has the talent, but to be fair Premier you can understand why I'd be at the very least reserved about him, given some of his performances for the county. Wouldn't see him as a big game player, which is what you need to be to win Player of The Year. We've all heard of the lad that's flying in training before, doesn't mean he'll win player of the year, though he could well be in contention for an all-star because he has the talent I just don't see two back to back truly excellent performances from him at the business end of the year.

The Canning thing has been snowballing now for the last three years and its a joke, he's brother was one of if not the best corner back I have ever seen and never got a fraction of the hyperbole that surrounds Joe, of course this is not Cannings fault himself.

I have never really seen COM been poor for Tipp tbh, possibly was for one or two games after he came back from the viral infection, he isnt your swashbuckling type CB and thats probably why he doesnt make the headlines but he is very very rarely beaten by he's direct opponent, very simailar to Brain Hogan.

I know what you are saying about Callinan and in previous years he would frustrate the life out of you and looked like he was afraid to go in to a dark room, but I have seen him in action recently and he has really developed physically and personally I think he and Pa Bourke could have massive years, we'll have to wait and see, roll on Sunday :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭randd1

Lehane by a country mile

He was kept very quiet in the league final which would suggest he's still a bit raw, the early front-runner though all the same the way he's played overall.

Most likely to be either him, Sweetnam, or Kilkenny's Richie Doyle or Cillian Buckley on current form.

I have a sneaking suspicion for Sweetnam as I think Cork need him to be the one to lead them from midfield this year, they don't look the same side without his pace, drive and directness in midfield.

Though if Doyle keeps his place in the Kilkenny lineup this summer he'll be (most likely) playing in the bigger matches which could tip it for him.

I'd loved to have seen him against Kilkenny

Possibly the best game of hurling I've ever seen, definitely up there with the best of the Cork-Waterford or Kilkenny-Tipp games over the past few years. When I found out there hadn't been a camera at it I lost the plot. I'd have watched that match for years to come, same way I do with the 2004 Munster final, 2007 Cork-Waterford games, and more recently, the 2009 and 2010 All-Ireland finals. It was that good a game.

Anyway, way off-topic, sorry!

Possibly the best game of hurling I've ever seen, definitely up there with the best of the Cork-Waterford or Kilkenny-Tipp games over the past few years. When I found out there hadn't been a camera at it I lost the plot. I'd have watched that match for years to come, same way I do with the 2004 Munster final, 2007 Cork-Waterford games, and more recently, the 2009 and 2010 All-Ireland finals. It was that good a game.

Anyway, way off-topic, sorry!

I remember the same thing happened in 2003 when Waterford drew with Limerick 4-13 a piece, Flynn scored an unbelievable goal that day. It also had the worst refereeing performance I've ever seen, and all this is basically forgotten now on account of some fire safety issue with where the cameras usually are in Thurles.

Sweetnam will probably be in contention as well, he was excellent when he came on against Kilkenny in the League final.

I remember the same thing happened in 2003 when Waterford drew with Limerick 4-13 a piece, Flynn scored an unbelievable goal that day.

A real hero of mine, Paul Flynn. Genuinely nice guy and a serious hurler. The goal in 2004 against Cork is probably my favourite GAA goal of all-time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Joe Canning is currently in the lead in the poll ...... wtf??? :confused:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I reckon Richie Power is more likely than any of those to win HOTY, playing very well up until he got injured and assuming he stays fit I think he has a great chance of winning it.

Joe Canning is currently in the lead in the poll ...... wtf??? :confused:

Lots of Tribesmen on boards!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,257 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

adrian522 wrote: »
    I reckon Richie Power is more likely than any of those to win HOTY, playing very well up until he got injured and assuming he stays fit I think he has a great chance of winning it.

That would be my opinion as well. He's becoming more and more important for KK.

There must be!! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

The thinking with Joe Canning is probably due to how well he played against Dublin.

Advertisement