Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

e30 316i as first car?

• 12-03-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭

I'm in love with these things, but I'm unsure as to wether I should can get one of these? I'm just about to apply for my learners permit, but I heard about Aviva's €400 deal with 6 months insurance and 13 lessons. I've know of one person getting a 316i (e30) insured on this (max is 1.6 litre).

I know it's quite slow, I'd like to do a 325i conversion sometime down the line, but would anyone recommend getting one? I would get a 318iS if there wasn't a limit on engine capacity. I would intend on keeping it for a good few years. Doing mechanical engineering and formula student, so I think I could take on a fair bit of work too.

Also are parts relatively cheap?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 707 ✭✭✭ants09

Lovely car has a cult following and easy to maintain and upgrade ;)
    Things to watch out for is rust but can be easy to fix.
    Engine swaps are easy to do from one E30 to another E30.
    Most would say the 316 engine is underpowered but some love it, i havent drove a 1.6 in them so cant say tbh.
    Parts are cheap in them either second hand or new.

If your interested in them join E30owners.com and you get great advice there and new members always welcome ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭Daniel S

ants09 wrote: »
    Lovely car has a cult following and easy to maintain and upgrade ;)
    Things to watch out for is rust but can be easy to fix.
    Engine swaps are easy to do from one E30 to another E30.
    Most would say the 316 engine is underpowered but some love it, i havent drove a 1.6 in them so cant say tbh.
    Parts are cheap in them either second hand or new.

If your interested in them join E30owners.com and you get great advice there and new members always welcome ;)
    I have and I have been welcomed! :D

Looking better and better!

Also, what's the story with €48 tax for 3 months? Which cars are elegible?

Daniel S wrote: »

Looking better and better!

Also, what's the story with €48 tax for 3 months? Which cars are elegible?

Havent a clue what your talking about :rolleyes:

3 months for a E30 316 is €135

And welcome to the site hope your going to the big meet up whether you got a E30 or not :D

Havent a clue what your talking about :rolleyes:

3 months for a E30 316 is €135

And welcome to the site hope your going to the big meet up whether you got a E30 or not :D
    Apparantly if you have a brown log book that means you get €48 tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Afraid not, vintage tax is only for cars over 30 years old.

• Advertisement

Anan1 wrote: »
    Afraid not, vintage tax is only for cars over 30 years old.
    :( Tax is pretty steep then.

I have 2 E30's and have them brown log books and who ever told you that well is leading you on a little merry goround ;)

:( Tax is pretty steep then.

The joys of loving cars that are old :confused:

I have 2 E30's and have them brown log books and who ever told you that well is leading you on a little merry goround ;)
    Had a feeling that was the case. It was definitely too good to be true, 6 months insurance, tax and lessons for €496? :pac:

Had a feeling that was the case. It was definitely too good to be true, 6 months insurance, tax and lessons for €496? :pac:

One of my E30's car tax 186 for 3 months, classic motor insurance 120 for year :confused: but hey the joys of owing one is priceless

• Advertisement

One of my E30's car tax 186 for 3 months, classic motor insurance 120 for year :confused: but hey the joys of owing one is priceless
    I'm 18 and haven't a full license. No chance of €120 insurance for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭Fiona

Hey I am Lady30 on there ;)

DaveMsport is yer man on the Owners for the engine conversions if you have any questions.

I have heard of some young lads having problems trying to get insurance on the E30's. You could try and get a classic policy with first ireland but you need to have another policy on your own name to qualify for one :(

It will all work out ;)

I'm 18 and haven't a full license. No chance of €120 insurance for me :D

Oh i hate to be in your shoes :D have you got one yet ?

mrs crilly wrote: »
    Hey I am Lady30 on there ;)

DaveMsport is yer man on the Owners for the engine conversions if you have any questions.

I have heard of some young lads having problems trying to get insurance on the E30's. You could try and get a classic policy with first ireland but you need to have another policy on your own name to qualify for one :(

It will all work out ;)
    Yup, I know you! ;) I'm the lad who wants an e30 looking exactly (not exactly but pretty close :D) like yours :pac: Need to use the Aviva deal tbh, no other way of getting cheap insurance and a full license.

Oh i hate to be in your shoes :D have you got one yet ?
    I'm applying for a provisional, but want to get Aviva's 6 month deal so I'm waiting to get a car before I apply. Get the most out of it if I can.

http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Cars-and-vehicles-for-Sale-cars-BMW-316i-auto-E30-W0QQAdIdZ353569649

That looks okay, but needs a new interior, steering wheel, wheels, gearbox...

Nevermind :pac:

omg he hates anything less then a six pot or a 318is lol
    I have heard of some young lads having problems trying to get insurance on the E30's. You could try and get a classic policy with first ireland but you need to have another policy on your own name to qualify for one frown.gif
    most wont insure a wee young lad but you could get lucky

http://www.e30owners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=190184&postcount=3

:)

http://dublin.gumtree.ie/c-Cars-and-vehicles-for-Sale-cars-BMW-316i-auto-E30-W0QQAdIdZ353569649

That looks okay, but needs a new interior, steering wheel, wheels, gearbox...

Nevermind :pac:

Looks ok

like to see it to make sure theres no rust on it in usual places

interior ok but if you like i can get you leather seats for her

Its a auto so usually they aint abused like manuals tbh

Be lovely with a mtech1 style steering wheel and bbs style wheels and engine looks unmullested but pictures only tell a certain story

Looks ok

like to see it to make sure theres no rust on it in usual places

interior ok but if you like i can get you leather seats for her

Its a auto so usually they aint abused like manuals tbh

Okay, so that's one good thing about autos :pac:

The interior is okay, but it's just a horrible beige. One of the reasons I was looking to get a black car is because most of them have nice interiors.

There's rust on the bottom of the wings near the bonnet which can't be good.

It also has a sunroof but no pictures of it. A rusty E30, with a sunroof, without pictures cannot be a good thing. :(

• Advertisement

Okay, so that's one good thing about autos :pac:

The interior is okay, but it's just a horrible beige. One of the reasons I was looking to get a black car is because most of them have nice interiors.

There's rust on the bottom of the wings near the bonnet which can't be good.

It also has a sunroof but no pictures of it. A rusty E30, with a sunroof, without pictures cannot be a good thing. :(

Wouldnt worry about rust at the bottom of the wings tbh as there easy treated

Sunroof can be replaced but check mechanism and seals, cage etc so make sure they are ok

You can get new interior in very cheap so wouldnt let that put you off it

Most important thing is to check for rust and walk away if bad !

Wouldnt worry about rust at the bottom of the wings tbh as there easy treated

Sunroof can be replaced but check mechanism and seals, cage etc so make sure they are ok

You can get new interior in very cheap so wouldnt let that put you off it

Most important thing is to check for rust and walk away if bad !
    I meant the roof around the sunroof. If that's damaged, I'd be screwed.

I meant the roof around the sunroof. If that's damaged, I'd be screwed.

If its surface rust you be ok but if its bad then yep you could be screwed but unlikely E30's rust there as never seen any rust there and i have two with sunroofs ;)

If its surface rust you be ok but if its bad then yep you could be screwed but unlikely E30's rust there as never seen any rust there and i have two with sunroofs ;)
    http://www.e30owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17731

Combine the two cars! :D

Gearbox, wheels and exhaust from the black one and everything else from the grey one :)

http://www.e30owners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17731

Combine the two cars! :D

Gearbox, wheels and exhaust from the black one and everything else from the grey one :)

If thats a manual then goodluck trying to swap gearbox and engine not impossible

exhaust be difficult as thats for a 320 yours is a 316

interior wont fit as thats a two door and the other one is a four door

but sean your man if you need help along with dave and jozi etc

If thats a manual then goodluck trying to swap gearbox and engine not impossible

exhaust be difficult as thats for a 320 yours is a 316

interior wont fit as thats a two door and the other one is a four door

but sean your man if you need help along with dave and jozi etc
    Crap. :rolleyes:

I'll just keep looking for now.

Crap. :rolleyes:

I'll just keep looking for now.

Do you want a manual one or auto ?

Dont rush into anything as take your time and when the right car come then woo hoo

have a look at lady30 cars its mmm

bty that blue one same colour as my one lol

Do you want a manual one or auto ?

Dont rush into anything as take your time and when the right car come then woo hoo

have a look at lady30 cars its mmm

bty that blue one same colour as my one lol

Manual

Yea, I can wait. I'll be using it from next September, so I have time to get it and repair it.

I have seen her's and it's pretty much exactly the way I want it. Can't afford her alloys though :pac:

Isn't it Sapphire Black?

Just found this:
    25u0036.jpg

WANT NOW!

• Advertisement

Very nice :D left hand drive think think she's a M and sex on wheels some say :P

Advertisement