Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Youths Rugby

Options
1939495969799»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Ireland won 2 from 3 in those games in cardiff losing to Italy and beating Scotland and Wales

Under 18 schools interpros started today. munster beat ulster 26-7

Connacht beat Munster today to win u18 Youths interpro title

Leinster finished 2nd, Munster 3rd and Ulster 4th

In 19s Leinster win title, Munster 2nd, Connacht 3rd, Ulster 4th

• Registered Users Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭ulsteru20s

I’m honestly kind of surprised about how many guys ulster got in these teams. We were gack in the interpros this year.

I’d feel a bit hard done by it i was munster at u19. They won last year at u18s schools and lost narrowly this year at u19. The representation seems to indicate there is a massive gap in talent between them and leinster and a narrow one between them and us. That was not my impression following the interpros the last couple of years.

Connacht feel a tad underrepresented as well.

• Advertisement

But last years interpros shouldnt have much if any relevance. so much rugby played in that time be it for players now playing adult rugby etc etc

fair enough. I find it hard to believe such across the board improvement in a year.

However, looking closer at the teams, there are probably two munster players playing up in u20s. Mix in an injury or two, it probably makes more sense.

I heard connacht had some athletes this year so surprised by their numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭realhorrorshow

I assume Rory Gavin is a brother of Hugh? Surprised Bryan Walsh isn't involved with the 19s.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,557 ✭✭✭snotboogie

Any sign of the NTS for 23/24? We are nearly in December now and I've seen nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,959 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Leinster youths played New bridge school today. Anyone know result?

It wasn't leinster youths team but a wider selection of 18s and 19s from clubs and they won 22-7

Ok. Do you know if it was New bridge firsts? They're a good team

Possibly but a provincial wide squad training regularly together should be able to beat a lot of school sides and any win shouldn't be seen as a big deal

I'd see Newbridge as a top 8 side. It's a good win. Would be good to see team to see how many players are youths and where other players are coming from

It's no big deal. All the players are youths players in that provincial team. That's the point of team. It shouldn't be made out as something very big. It really isn't a big deal.

Shame the provinces can't highlight youths competitions more on their websites and social media. Or at least give papers a few articles and squad lists to add a few pages to the school supplements. Could create bit more interest in the competitions

Yeah funny how so much of the media cover the private schools, then a few articles on elitism in rugby and then completely ignore the youths scene. If the youths side can compete, beat top 8 SCT schools that's really good. Because reality is they will never get the same amount of coaching - so they are relying more and more on talent.

Many of the players especially those in provincial squads or squads like those do get the same amount of training as players in the top schools between their own club, if their school plays and provincial squads. Including for some players early morning gym sessions and lot more besides.

It shouldn't be seen as anything major if a provincial youths team is beating a school senior team.

Hmmm... I think they might get a batch of training sessions that could be a one and a half drive for their parents and may clash with something else going on.

But, a top rugby school it's going to be much easier to organise training before and after school which isn't just an advantage for individual skills but also collective ones where you need a bunch of players to fine tune moves, lines of running and lineout calls. You are also going to get more exposure to more competitive games regularly. There's also a lot going on with kids that age. Exams, school trips and other activities. If a school is putting rugby as it's sales pitch it's going to make it easier for the kids to fit everything in.

I agree with you it shouldn't be seen as a huge thing because I always believe the talent is there but that world class infrastructure you get with the top schools is never going to be there.

Well I put it as not a big deal as you have on a few occasions here when provincial youths sides beat schools sides say wow or that's huge when it isn't any more.

Of course it will be easier in a school but with the new training centres for provinces coming in/planned then it will be easier for club players to do what schools players are doing and they will be doing it under eye of provincial coaches...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Hey_Ho_Lets_Go_3

it wasnt Newbridges strongest side, didnt have any of their leinster u18/u19 reps.

Munster youths cup/plate/bowl back after Christmas break this weekend. Lot of games off due to weather but some wnet ahead.

2/3 rounds played for most clubs. Hopefully next weekend weather can let lot more games be played

Cups in munster at 16s and 18s are at quarter finals. Few more games to be played in plate and bowl before knock outs.

Any info on other provinces

Good to see georgia and portugal added to under 18 6 nations. All 6 nations shoulf never have pulled teams from co.peting in the fira/rugby europe competitions

Ireland U18 Schools Squad (U18 Six Nations Festival 2024, Parma, Italy, March 29-April 7)

Chris Barrett (CBC Cork/Munster Rugby)

Ethan Black (St. Michael’s College/Leinster Rugby)

Noah Byrne (Gonzaga College/Leinster Rugby)

Jamie Conway (Castletroy College/Munster Rugby)

Paddy Curry (Terenure College/Leinster Rugby)

Jack Deegan (CC Roscrea College/Leinster Rugby)

Max Doyle (Clongowes Wood College/Leinster Rugby)

Joe Finn (Roscrea College/Munster Rugby)

Rory Gavin (Colaiste Iognaid/Galwegians RFC/Connacht Rugby)

Josh Gibson (RBAI/Ulster Rugby)

Bill Hayes (CC Roscrea College/Munster Rugby)

Conor Magee (Banbridge Academy/Ulster Rugby)

Luke McLaughlin (Gonzaga College/Leinster Rugby)

Blake McClean (RBAI/Ulster Rugby)

Donnacha McGuire (Blackrock College/Leinster Rugby)

Dylan McNeice (St. Michael’s College/Leinster Rugby)

Charlie Meagher (CBC Monkstown/Leinster Rugby)

Charlie Molony (Blackrock College/Leinster Rugby)

Diarmuid O’Connell (Carrick on Shannon RFC/Sligo Grammar/Connacht Rugby)

James O’Dwyer (Gonzaga College/Leinster Rugby)

Brian O’Flaherty (Blackrock College/Leinster Rugby)

James O’Leary (PBC Cork/Munster Rugby)

Conor O’Shaughnessy (Blackrock College/Leinster Rugby)

Cian Walsh (CBC Cork/Munster Rugby)

Michael Walsh (Blackrock College/Leinster Rugby)

Tom Wood (St. Munchins College/Munster Rugby)

Ireland U18 School Management

Neil Doak – Head Coach

Brendan O’Connor – Assistant Coach

Michael Hodge – Assistant Coach

Stephen O’Hara – Team Manager

James O’Leary – Athletic Development Coach

David Lyons – Team Physio

Prof. John Ryan – Team Doctor

Brandon Shanahan – Team Analyst

Mo Dempsey – Team Logistics

U18 Six Nations Festival 2024 – Fixtures

Ireland u18 vs. France u18 (30th March 2024) @ 15.30pm