Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky Player

• 15-09-2009 10:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Anyone get a date for when the Sky player will be released ?? Really could save me having to get multiroom :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

It will come in the "fall" update along with Facebook and Twitter and Last.fm. No date announced yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

bucks73 wrote: »
    It will come in the "fall" update along with Facebook and Twitter and Last.fm. No date announced yet.
    Thats what I heard but we're well into fall at this stage :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭zero19

How wll it work? Enter your acc number and get sky? have sky back n the home place n kldare but none n galway, does that mean i can view sky up here?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

They seem very reluctant to give out dates and details as to how it will work. All speculation at the moment.

I have Sky at home and my dad got Sky Anytime on his PC. However the rule with Sky Anytime is that it can only be accessed on one PC in every household.

If Sky for the Xbox uses the same password etc I won't be able to view it on my Xbox in my room will I?

I hope it's feckin' free for existing Sky subscribers.

It wouldn't surprise me if they made it so that only people who have a multiroom sub could use it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭greenman09

Prob wrong here but wasnt there something about it being 6e per month. As a sky subscriber i wouldnt like to think i'll be charged twice for the service.

greenman09 wrote: »
    Prob wrong here but wasnt there something about it being 6e per month. As a sky subscriber i wouldnt like to think i'll be charged twice for the service.
    Didn't hear anything about that myself, I don't understand why they're being so secretive about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,380 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'm not sure of the charges for a new customer, or if there'll be one-off prices available (for Movies, Footy matches, etc.). But I believe it will be similar to the sky player currently available on the PC - there isn't an extra charge for existing subscribers, or is there?

I'm not sure of the charges for a new customer, or if there'll be one-off prices available (for Movies, Footy matches, etc.). But I believe it will be similar to the sky player currently available on the PC - there isn't an extra charge for existing subscribers, or is there?
    That's what I was thinking but wouldn't it take potential multiroom customers ?? I have my xbox in another room with a TV but I was considering getting multiroom till I heard about this.

It looks like its going to be free for existing Sky subscribers. Basically what you get on Sky player now on the web as a subscriber you will get on the Xbox. Thats movies, sports replays and highlights and TV shows.

For live sports on the web you will need a multi room sub just as you currently do but if you dont want a multi room sub and wish to watch live sports on the Sky player you need to pay a monthly fee so that probably the €6 talked about above.

Also, while they may call in the "fall" update it usually arrives in early november each year to have things ready for the big sales push for Xmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thecross1

i heard november not sure what exact date though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

bucks73 wrote: »
    It looks like its going to be free for existing Sky subscribers. Basically what you get on Sky player now on the web as a subscriber you will get on the Xbox. Thats movies, sports replays and highlights and TV shows.

For live sports on the web you will need a multi room sub just as you currently do but if you dont want a multi room sub and wish to watch live sports on the Sky player you need to pay a monthly fee so that probably the €6 talked about above.

Also, while they may call in the "fall" update it usually arrives in early november each year to have things ready for the big sales push for Xmas.

Off Topic: Can you use the sky player for the web while abroad?

If so then I could use the sky player for the xbox while I am abroad which would be excellent....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

The "autumn" update usually appears about the middle of November.

I wonder if there'll be an alternative way of getting Sky without a credit card. Perhaps they might do a similar thing with the Xbox Live membership. Pay x amount of money for a code for 3 months or a year or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭rcs

Looks to be coming with the october update... link here

Hopefully you won't need Sky Multi Room to get Live Sports now.. but have a feeling you will

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭ella87

The last update seemingly was for the sky, facebook etc it's to be activated by them yet hopefully soon!!!

ella87 wrote: »
    The last update seemingly was for the sky, facebook etc it's to be activated by them yet hopefully soon!!!

From what I've been reading that update is just to "prepare" your console for the updates. I'm hoping it'll be soon.

Yep the last update was just to prepare the console for the upcoming big one. Sky Player is now coming mid-October so only a couple of weeks to wait.

Thanks for the updates guys, good to hear that it's on it's way. Haven't turned on the xbox in weeks now so I hadn't noticed the update.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

cian1500ww wrote: »
    It wouldn't surprise me if they made it so that only people who have a multiroom sub could use it.
    I would be extremely surprised if you didn't have to pay the multiroom sub

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,206 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

no talk of non subscribers having access to the sky player, say for premium events like boxing or big matches?

Hopefully they won't mess this up because otherwise it will ruin the potential of the Xbox being an unbelievable entertainment system.

We've got multi-room in our house but I don't want to be charged extra for Sky when it does eventually arrive on the Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    no talk of non subscribers having access to the sky player, say for premium events like boxing or big matches?

yea that would be nice, thats what i was hoping for :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

corcaigh07 wrote: »

That would be great and would open up Sky programming to people who can't get Sky anyway (bloody apartments :() - offering content to non-subscribers a-la-carte surely would be profitable for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

From what i have read here (probibly info ye allready know but ill post it anyway just in case), you get this if you are a sky subscriber and it will work like a multiroom box. If your not a subscriber you can sign up to a monthly contract (say if your in an apartment block).

It has 22 live TV channels
    It has TV on Demand ( watch your shows when you want )

Link also has a little video thing showing how it will look.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

Surely the lag will be terrible?????

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

wannabepr wrote: »
    Surely the lag will be terrible?????

Don't see why it would be..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭wannabepr

unklerosco wrote: »
    Don't see why it would be..
    what speed bb would one need???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

it says on the site 2mb minimum recommended, its at the bottom in the small print
    To watch Sky Player on your Xbox 360 you need an Xbox LIVE Gold membership. Live TV channels depend on your subscription. Price and availability of on-demand content depends on whether you are a Sky TV/Sky Player TV customer and the kind of subscription you have. Some programmes from live Sky TV channels are unavailable to show online (see sky.com/skyplayer). Your subscription will renew automatically unless you tell us otherwise. Minimum 2Mb broadband connection recommended. PC with Microsoft Windows XP or Vista or Intel based Mac required for Sky Player on your computer. Information only applies to residential customers in the UK, ROI, Channel Islands and Isle of Man. Further terms apply.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

My connection is 3mb and it works fine on my laptop

Advertisement