Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Temp Clerical Officers in Civil Service

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭V480

missym wrote: »
    Hi,

I don't know what that email means. I did my interview last thursday and have received no email at all. Very disheartened especially with the cost of getting there and staying in a b&b due to a 9am interview. oh well back to the job hunt I guess!! :(

Don't worry, you might still recieve an email early next week...

Has anybody who got the temp clerical officer job been offered a longer contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

V480 wrote: »
    Has anybody who got the temp clerical officer job been offered a longer contract?
    They tried to keep me on... Sent off emails but try weren't allowed?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 missym

I got offered a job today in waterford!!! :)

I was wondering what tax I would be likely to be paying on €379.72?

I'm just trying to make a decision whether it is worth my while leaving my current position.

Thank you very much

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Monife

I'm just trying to make a decision whether it is worth my while leaving my current position.

Thank you very much

Depends on your tax credits and personal situation.

For example, I have a medical card so get a small (very small) exemption from USC and PRSI. I work in the CSO (temp) and I earn €441 (previously €421, but here a year so got an increment) and I come out with €388, so that is €63 in tax (PAYE, PRSI and USC). Also included in that is the pension related deduction which is around 9euro a week which you can claim back at the end of your contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭sjms

Monife wrote: »

Thank you very much

Depends on your tax credits and personal situation.

For example, I have a medical card so get a small (very small) exemption from USC and PRSI. I work in the CSO (temp) and I earn €441 (previously €421, but here a year so got an increment) and I come out with €388, so that is €63 in tax (PAYE, PRSI and USC). Also included in that is the pension related deduction which is around 9euro a week which you can claim back at the end of your contract.

How does one claim this pension deduction back? I'm finished my contract! Also I've to wait until next year to get my emergency tax back because I kept my part time job on (didn't want to be completely unemployed when i finished up)! Over €500! :(

sjms wrote: »
    How does one claim this pension deduction back? I'm finished my contract! Also I've to wait until next year to get my emergency tax back because I kept my part time job on (didn't want to be completely unemployed when i finished up)! Over €500! :(

I am not too sure but I would say your first port of call would be either your old HR department or Finance Department and they will probably direct you onto the Pension department.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭brokenhinge

sjms wrote: »
    They tried to keep me on... Sent off emails but try weren't allowed?

Same, they've asked higher up, but no chance of it.

I thought that if you were taken on say in late July you would have a better chance of an extension as people who started in June would only be covering summer holidays, whereas people who start later are more likely to be covering long term absenses like maternity leave, sick leave or term time. Also it depends where you are working, in a busy social welfare office for example there is obviously going to be more work available.

I thought that if you were taken on say in late July you would have a better chance of an extension as people who started in June would only be covering summer holidays, whereas people who start later are more likely to be covering long term absenses like maternity leave, sick leave or term time. Also it depends where you are working, in a busy social welfare office for example there is obviously going to be more work available.

Yeah it really depends on the office. They are being forced by the "higher beings" to reduce costs and the first stop shop is the temporary people. I was lucky that I was offered a 2 year contract from the start. In the CSO just a little bit over a year now :) Even the TCO's resigning here are not being replaced, even though they should be with the processing of the census forms. But HR are not allowed to replace them and/or take on any more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭gazzer

The Jobsbridge schme (aka Slave Labour initiative) is starting to advertise for people to work in government departments so I would say the chances of any temp staff being kept on for longer periods is nil. The Department of Justice is looking for staff under Jobsbridge and other departments are going to be following suit.

Its a win win for them, they dont have to pay staff anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

gazzer wrote: »
    The Jobsbridge schme (aka Slave Labour initiative) is starting to advertise for people to work in government departments so I would say the chances of any temp staff being kept on for longer periods is nil. The Department of Justice is looking for staff under Jobsbridge and other departments are going to be following suit.

Its a win win for them, they dont have to pay staff anything.

....and the race to the bottom continues.....

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Mayo Miss

I got a phone call today asking me to come to Dublin for an interview next week for the Mayo region. I had given up all hope on hearing anything from them.

I'm looking forward to getting the email off them to see what's expected in the interview. I could really do with getting this or any job!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭Mister Dread

People working already in the Civil Service under these jobbridge schemes. This is the new reality.

People working already in the Civil Service under these jobbridge schemes. This is the new reality.
    Well if I get the train to Dublin to be told they'd like me to work for nothing I'll be more than annoyed.

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    I got a phone call today asking me to come to Dublin for an interview next week for the Mayo region. I had given up all hope on hearing anything from them.

I'm looking forward to getting the email off them to see what's expected in the interview. I could really do with getting this or any job!

Best of luck with the interview. You will be fine...they were really nice in my interview and mainly concentrated on my most recent employment experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

I got a call today to go for an interview next week in Dublin:) The job is in waterford. I applied back in march and got an email saying I hadnt reached qualifiying level but neways Im happy they finally rang me! Just wondering since its almost october would the TCO's Position be a bit longer than say 12weeks as the jobs being placed in summer time seem to be holiday cover..?? I hope it goes well!! I really would love the job regardless of timescale just wondering:D

Amzie wrote: »
    I got a call today to go for an interview next week in Dublin:) The job is in waterford. I applied back in march and got an email saying I hadnt reached qualifiying level but neways Im happy they finally rang me! Just wondering since its almost october would the TCO's Position be a bit longer than say 12weeks as the jobs being placed in summer time seem to be holiday cover..?? I hope it goes well!! I really would love the job regardless of timescale just wondering:D

Congrats on getting the call! I was in a similar situation to you in that I applied way back in March but heard nothing until mid-July. Chances are that if you are selected for a position you will either be covering maternity leave or long term absense, i.e. sick leave.

You would probably be offered a contract of 8 to 12 weeks with the possibilty of extension depending on when the person you are covering returns. In a way it may work out better for you than if you were selected for one of the summer positions.

That's just my opinion though as I was in the same situation as yourself, the exact circumstances may be different. I hope the interview goes well though. Best of luck :)

Congrats on getting the call! I was in a similar situation to you in that I applied way back in March but heard nothing until mid-July. Chances are that if you are selected for a position you will either be covering maternity leave or long term absense, i.e. sick leave.

You would probably be offered a contract of 8 to 12 weeks with the possibilty of extension depending on when the person you are covering returns. In a way it may work out better for you than if you were selected for one of the summer positions.

That's just my opinion though as I was in the same situation as yourself, the exact circumstances may be different. I hope the interview goes well though. Best of luck :)

Thanks so much for your info on this.. Hopefully I get somethings similar like yourself then and if not I'd would be delighted for the experience! Ive been out of work ages so this would be fantastic to get back and into something I like:) Fingers crossed it goes grand:o Thanks again!!:D

Forgot to say Im doing an evening course in W.I.T in business should I mention that or not say nething incase they disregard me??:(

• Advertisement

Forgot to say Im doing an evening course in W.I.T in business should I mention that or not say nething incase they disregard me??:(

Hi, I have just started my 3rd week in Mayo. We got 8 week contracts.

Your evening course shouldn't go against you as it won't affect your work. It will show you are updating your skills and that can only work to your advantage.

Make sure you have specific detailed examples of the 3 areas mentioned on the forms they emailed you. Good luck with the interview.

Mayo Miss wrote: »
    Hi, I have just started my 3rd week in Mayo. We got 8 week contracts.

Your evening course shouldn't go against you as it won't affect your work. It will show you are updating your skills and that can only work to your advantage.

Make sure you have specific detailed examples of the 3 areas mentioned on the forms they emailed you. Good luck with the interview.

Heya, I went to the interview tuesday. It went well anyway because an hour later I got an email saying I reached the qualifying standard at interview and they will be in touch shortly should my name come in line for a position. :D

They didnt say anything about my course so it mustn't have bothered them too much!! Hopefully I'll hear something now :D Thats brill you got a position there!! What area did you get the temp in? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,032 ✭✭✭She Devil

Amzie will you let me know if you get called for a position as when I rang their office the other day they said I was first in line for a job in Waterford as I couldn't take up placement during the summer! So i'd be interested to see if this is true! :)

She Devil wrote: »
    Amzie will you let me know if you get called for a position as when I rang their office the other day they said I was first in line for a job in Waterford as I couldn't take up placement during the summer! So i'd be interested to see if this is true! :)

Sure no problem:) thats if I get called atall:rolleyes: I soo need a job!!!

I know, me to! So bad! Even if it was just for 12 weeks! I need something!!!
    Aaaah best of luck anyway, imagine we could be working together :eek::):)

Ah Fingers crossed for both of us!!! yeah even 12weeks would be brill! Update the cv a bit:o Ha thanks! I know we could be co workers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

I have an interview this week for a job. I had given up hope at this stage!

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭steph1

Good for you hope it goes well. Just as a matter of interest did they notify you by email or letter? I finished in the top half for the west but have not heard a thing yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭lolli

steph1 wrote: »
    Good for you hope it goes well. Just as a matter of interest did they notify you by email or letter? I finished in the top half for the west but have not heard a thing yet!

Thank you! They rang me and after I spoke with them they sent me an email with all the details. I'm in the top band too, I just figured they werent taking people in that area. I'm delighted, hopefully it'll go well.

• Advertisement

I got offered a job in Waterford but I couldn't take it! Was meant to be starting tomorrow!! 12 weeks only, but the dept said it would definitely run on !!! Hope it goes well for you all girls xx

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement