Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Table Trick

• 01-04-2008 10:53am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭

Hi guys. I've recently got into Magic as a hobby and have been trying to make a new trick. Basically I will have a 6 seater dinner table in front of me and will have the aim of flipping it over without using my hands. Anybody got ideas on how I can do this? Any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

DarkJager wrote: »
    Anybody got ideas on how I can do this? Any help appreciated

Tie and elastic band around your manhood.

Then watch some Adult Entertainment. Eventually, the elastic band will snap and, if you are sufficiently endowed, send the table flying.

Magic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

get a hot assistant who can turn it over, just magic her invisible

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

To get the table to flip and land on the feet everytime its gonna require a fixed turning mech, some kind of flipper simply wouldnt work.

Its a fair big feat.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Popinjay

You'd need a pretty big mechanism for this as 6th said. You'd have some job either concealing that or explaining it away to the other dinner guests. At best, they wouldn't be able to get their legs under the table. If it doesn't have to be a full 360 rotation you're still talking a fair whack of both just to turn it over. It'd be pricey and time consuming I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

It doesn't neccesarily need to land on the feet. Just as long as it flips onto its top with no hands... Tom, thats a very good suggestion!!! :)

• Advertisement

Well some controls which may want to be considered is you want it staying within a ceertain area ... you dont want to get a smack in the face or to take out your audience :D

I'd have a large enough area so the possibility of anybody getting maimed or killed by the table is suitably low!! Ideally, the table would just flip over...ya know...like magic...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭kev_s88

id have to agree that so far Tom is the only one who has given a decent solution to DJ's problem

1 - How much time/money/skill at wood or metal-working are you willing to invest in this?
    2 - Are you building the table yourself?
    3 - Do you already have the table?
    4 - Can you modify the table without too much effort and is somebody likely to be upset about their messed-up table if you do?
    5 - What are the dimensions of the table?
    6 - Will it have a cloth over it?
    7 - Will this cloth look silly or not given the size of the table and also importantly the nature of the event or whatever that has people gathered around this table?
    8 - How much space will you definitely have around the table?
    9 - Do you want to be near the table or far away?
    10 - How are you at electronic engineering?
    11 - How silent will whatever mechanism you want to use need to be (Pretty bloody silent I'd guess)?
    12 - If the table flips all the way, the mech can't be stashed under the table so where will it be?

Sorry about all the questions but the more I know the more I can advise.

NOTE: See! This is not even close to the level of work that goes in to the development of a new effect.:cool:

Ok folks Boards.ie has returned to normal.

dis iz seriouz 4um!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Build it out of paper and just blow it over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 ioctl

Hypnotise all of your audience so that they cannot see the colour orange. Have a dude in an orange boiler suit come out and turn the table over. Badda bing badda booom.

How much time/money/skill at wood or metal-working are you willing to invest in this?

A couple of hours each week, not a lot of finance at the moment:)

Are you building the table yourself?

No the table is here.

Do you already have the table?

Yes

Can you modify the table without too much effort and is somebody going to be upset about their messed-up table if you do?

If possible, I will leave the table as it is.

What are the dimensions of the table?

6 x 3

Will it have a cloth over it?

Maybe, I haven't decided yet.

Will this cloth look silly or not given the size of the table?

No it would probably look awesome, still undecided.

How much space will you definitely have around the table?

Not certain but about 20 foot would be grand.

Do you want to be near the table or far away?

With the table.

How are you at electronic engineering?

Not.

How silent will whatever mechanism you want to use need to be?

Silent enough to make it look magic and awesome!

6 x 3 so I'm guessing it's about hip height too (3' approx again)?
    How fast of slow do you want to spin - are we talking slow and ghostly turning or manic possessed flip a la poltergeist?
    Lenghtways or widthways turn (If it's lengthways, the table would have to levitate a bit first which isn't all that complicated to include but would only really look good if you're going for the slow turn)?
    Can you do up a quick bitmap or something of the rough layout of the room including doors, windows, where the table will be and anything else big or important in the room? MSpaint or whatever should be fine.

I have a pretty vague idea at the moment but it'sd still only in the larval stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭kev_s88

maybe you could use some sort of WOODen mechanism to flip it over eh DJ?

kev_s88 wrote: »
    maybe you could use some sort of WOODen mechanism to flip it over eh DJ?

Hope he's a damn fine carpenter so. Otherwise, the mechanism will be very trial and error (read: expensive) and also very difficult to make silent.

I have a daycent image in paint of the table and stuff but for some reason can't post it!!! :(

I was thinking of something like a wooden chair leg connected to a piston??

PM sent for getting image. I was thinking some form of piston myself at first but for that to work properly you're talking hydraulics or similar or else some very bulky noise reducing padding. Also, that'd have to be under the table which would uncover your dirty work just as soon as the table flipped.

Advertisement