Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Marathon 2011 Novices Mentored Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,554 ✭✭✭Mr Slow

RayCun wrote: »
    I'm planning to insitute a new "no novices are allowed finish before the mentor" rule, so he'll have to fecking slow down :)

He'll be waiting around for a while then :P

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

mrslow wrote: »
    He'll be waiting around for a while then :P

why, are you planning on taking over as mentor? :P

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

Yeah jesus christ. Mate you have a serious base of fitness there and to have completed a dozen plus 10+ mile runs since xmas is excellent going. You certainly hve a good base....

Aye I second Ray cuns motion of no finishing before the mentors! hahaha

why, are you planning on taking over as mentor? :P

I can see those words being eaten in Dublin this year young man!:P

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Aye I second Ray cuns motion of no finishing before the mentors! hahaha

There's only one mentor.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm planning to insitute a new "no novices are allowed finish before the mentor" rule, so he'll have to fecking slow down :)

Good thing that rule wasn't in place last year :pac:

I can see those words being eaten in Dublin this year young man!:P

I'll take you - you and your magic pills!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Perkina3

There's only one mentor.

Aye....Let me rephrase so (Finishing ahead of non novices) ;)....Happy?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

menoscemo wrote: »
    Not really. He has a 18.25 5k. Mcmillan gives an LSR pace of 7:22-8:22 for this, so well within range. ;)

McMillan also says I should be doing sub 3 hour marathon. The guy clearly hasn't got a clue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

McMillan also says I should be doing sub 3 hour marathon. The guy clearly hasn't got a clue.

Fair enough, in that case LSR pace should be about 30-90 seconds slower than Goal marathon pace.

However, given your base and times you might change your mind on the sub 3 thing...

• Advertisement

I'll take you - you and your magic pills!:D

Time will tell.;)

Perkina3 wrote: »
    Happy?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭butlerjustine

Hi,

I don't use boards very often but I was really happy to see that there is marathon mentoring.
    I started running 4 years ago and 3 years of that training was 4-6 miles 3 times a week. I have done four 10K races, pb was 57 which isn't very impressive I know. :o
    I did the Bupa 10K a few weeks ago and my training for that was only about 12 miles a week as I was also doing boot camp 3 times a week.
    I was hoping to use the Hal novice training plan before I saw this thread and use boot camp as my cross training.
    Things that will affect my training are a 3 week holiday in July and business trips every now and again for 2 days a week so I can use these as my rest days if I can’t run abroad.

I would love to do a marathon and this year is good as my friend is doing it also so we will train together. I would be more motivated and active longer but my downfall is putting pressure on myself and getting stressed during runs that I’m not doing good enough which affects my times but I’m working on this.:o

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome aboard!
    A sub-60 10k is faster than a lot of the novices who were on these threads in the last couple of years, it's nothing to be ashamed of. (I ran that 10k in 54 minutes last year, so about the same)

Having someone to train with is a great help - you can keep each other motivated, and make sure you don't miss any runs. (If you're in Dublin there are also group runs in Phoenix park most weekends in the summer, there'll probably be a bunch of people from this thread doing them)

For your first marathon you shouldn't stress too much about times. A lot of the challenge is in just completing the distance, and so a lot of the emphasis in training is in just getting out there and racking up the miles. (you can get competitive next time :D)

Boot camp could be good cross-training. If you're going to miss two weeks in July you should be thinking of starting your training two weeks early (or even three weeks if you want some extra wiggle room), so around the middle of June. In the meantime you could look at the first week of the training plan (3 x 3 mile runs on consecutive days and a 6 mile slow run on the weekend) and start preparing for it by running on consecutive days (if you don't already) and running a little further on the weekend.

my downfall is putting pressure on myself and getting stressed during runs that I’m not doing good enough

As you move through training you'll improve your endurance and aerobic base, you'll naturally run shorter distances quicker. I ran a 10k last June in 54:07 and in training a few months ago ran 45:40. Hitting each target 16,18,20 miles will also give you great confidence and when you cross the finish line, you'll be bursting with confidence!

Thanks for the help RayCun and Mrslow I really appreciate it.

I really enjoy running and being active so don't want the time pressure to hold me back, like you say the distance is the hardest thing.

Looking forward to following the thread.

Thanks for the help RayCun and Mrslow I really appreciate it.

I really enjoy running and being active so don't want the time pressure to hold me back, like you say the distance is the hardest thing.

Looking forward to following the thread.

If you're based around Dublin, there'll be group runs in the Phoenix Park in the Summer (announced here), running with a group helps the miles fly by and you'll get great advice and encouragement along the way.

Cool thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭ger664

I know already now that Im going to miss 4 or 5 weekends in the middle of my marathon training, for a number of weddings in July and August.

So even though we are a full 6 months away Im doing a bit more now that I really need to - as the folks say, it will stand to me having that strong base to work from. The theory being that I can then afford to have the odd 20 mile week and it wont be a disaster [where missing 6 weekends/long runs in a 14/16 week plan, when coming into it with next too no base would be very bad].

You dont plan to fail, you fail to plan - as I was constantly told in school :cool:

Its not written in stone that LSR has to be done on a the weekend. Okay its when most people have the time. Adjust the plan by a few days and do your LSR on Mon/Tues in the morning or evening or whatever ever day suits best for the whole training plan.
    It will only effect the taper at the end by it been a few days shorter or longer depending on whether you start a week earlier or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Ok so...deep breaths...I think I might maybe possibly join in on this with a view to maybe possibly kind of somehow running Dublin too! EEKKK there I said it. Oh crap, my husband is going to kill me!

Some info on me. I was part of the original Amadeus Allstars:D mentored group and ran (plodded) Dublin in 2009. I LOVED being part of that group and dont think I would have made it to the start or finish without it. However my training was affected by ITB and achilles and a calf injury so in the end I finished in 4:53:36. I was thrilled to complete it but a bit embarrassed by the time.

I have been hit with injury after injury since but now feel Im back on track even though I feel scared every time I think I might be ok. Im still very much a plodder- my 10k PB is 60:54 from March 2011 but have cut out all walking breaks since January of this year. I am aiming to run a race a month this year and have achieved this so far. Im running 16.5 miles of the Cork relay in June and then hopefully the Portlaoise half marathon in August. IF and only IF im still injury free by the end of that race I will pay my registration fee and book hotel for DCM.

I have the usual complications in my life- a husband and daughter, a job with a long commute, friends and family who take up a nice bit of my time and a very unhealthy relationship with my bed and couch:D but I still manage to get out running 3-4 times a week at the moment and even though other things in my life will suffer (I think everyone felt a bit neglected the last time I trained for the marathon) I feel I am ready to try get a new marathon PB this year. I felt so left out and jealous last year:(

Best of luck to everyone

• Advertisement

Good luck with your training Bally8, hopefully we'll get the kind of comradery this year that we've had in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

Its not written in stone that LSR has to be done on a the weekend. Okay its when most people have the time. Adjust the plan by a few days and do your LSR on Mon/Tues in the morning or evening or whatever ever day suits best for the whole training plan.
    Good man Ger, thanks..

Its one of those facepalm "ohhh yeeeeaaaa" things, and why you need advice from experienced folks.

My current job [where current is very much in the conditional tense! :eek:] is 15k odd from where I live, I could stretch that to a LSR very easily by adding in a few twists and turns, running home from work one evening during the week [on weeks I cant do weekends], and just reorganise a training schedule around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Quick question for those more experienced with the longer runs. At what point do you start to carry water on your runs? Did 14 miles this morning and beginning to think I should have some fluids with me. Especially in that weather. And how to carry it? I find carrying a bottle while running awkward and I feel it upsets my rhythm. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt need liquids up to 90 mins if you generally keep well hydrated but 14 miles is certainly beyond that.

Quick question for those more experienced with the longer runs. At what point do you start to carry water on your runs? Did 14 miles this morning and beginning to think I should have some fluids with me. Especially in that weather. And how to carry it? I find carrying a bottle while running awkward and I feel it upsets my rhythm. I vaguely remember reading somewhere that you shouldnt need liquids up to 90 mins if you generally keep well hydrated but 14 miles is certainly beyond that.

After an hour you'll start to dehydrate so you should be drinking before that! I have a belt with two bottles that has served me well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,686 ✭✭✭tHE vAGGABOND

I have a big gigantic nike belt, that holds a proper water bottle and a couple of pockets for gels, but was looking at the belts with a couple of water bottles [that folks like Mr Slow have] and was wondering if the two small bottles hold more or less than the normal size "big" bottle?

Some options for taking water on your runs
    • carry water in bottles or a camelback (don't like this myself, find it uncomfortable)
    • run in loops passing your house/parked car (the downside is you might find yourself tempted to stop each time)
    • go out ahead of time and stash bottles on your route (but these may go missing)
    • bring some money with you and stop off in a shop for water (my preference, but not always possible)
    I would tend to agree that you don't need water if you're running under 90 minutes and are well-hydrated in advance.... but that's only a rule of thumb, some people will want water earlier. And on a hot day you'll get thirsty faster.

Bottom line -even if you're usually okay without water for 90 minutes, once you start getting up to about 80 minute runs you should have a fallback plan for water. Maybe you'll take a wrong turn, or it'll be a hot day, or you were drinking a couple of days ago and you'll find yourself feeling parched faster than normal... whatever the reason, you're much better off having water available that you don't use in the end, than to be gasping for water with another 30 minutes left to run.

I have a big gigantic nike belt, that holds a proper water bottle and a couple of pockets for gels, but was looking at the belts with a couple of water bottles [that folks like Mr Slow have] and was wondering if the two small bottles hold more or less than the normal size "big" bottle?

Generally the same, 16oz in total, it's just less cumbersome to have them balanced across your back. would love a belt that could carry a litre:).

Depends which belt you get. I have a belt which takes 4 small bottles, which have a capacity of about 200ml each. I hate wearing it because bottle belts just really weren't designed for the female frame - mine tends to ride up all the time which is really annoying.

Depends which belt you get. I have a belt which takes 4 small bottles, which have a capacity of about 200ml each. I hate wearing it because bottle belts just really weren't designed for the female frame - mine tends to ride up all the time which is really annoying.

Put on some weight around the middle, that'll hold it down :pac:

• Advertisement

Put on some weight around the middle, that'll hold it down :pac:

I'm trying to lose some weight, not put it on! :pac:

Advertisement