Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My college course... (A 3rd-level student's insight)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭MauraTheThird

I'm in first year in this course so if anyone wants to know anything about it, just send me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭biohaiid

First year Psychology and Sociology student at the University of Limerick.

I think points this year were 495.

There's 28 in my class, although we are always mixed in with other classes such as the Bsc. Psychology class, Law Plus, Arts, Economics and Sociology etc.

I have 5 modules - Psychology and Everyday Life, Theory and Method 1, Practical Psychology 1, Introduction to Sociology 1 and Introduction to Social Research Methods. I know 3 of these modules continue after the holidays, not sure about the rest, sorry.

I only have 14 hours in a regular week, although it changes from time to time with different things.

The workload isn't too bad. As I said I don't have many hours, but there is quite a lot of independent research to be done, which is difficult enough at the start but you get used to it.

If anyone wants me to go into more detail about the course, subjects, modules, workload, university etc I'd be more than happy too.
    I know I knew very little about this course when I begun, and how different it was to how I imagined, so I know how valuable this info could be.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 whatsec

1st Year UCD Medicine, if anyone wants to know any info send me a message!

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Ash_M

Number of students:
    Just two of us doing my specific combination, and I believe there are none left this year! I think the intake is usually about 3 or 4. However, lectures are shared with all the English students (definitely over a hundred per lecture) and then a combination of pure Maths, TSM, TSM with Economics, Theoretical Physics etc. for Maths - lecture sizes vary from maybe 30ish to probably 80ish.

Hours:
    I had 15 in first year, 14 this year.

Course Content:
    Most semesters will be 3 English modules, 3 Maths (our first semester we only had 2 Maths as one of them was a double module), so it is more or less a 50/50 split, although Maths does have more contact hours - works out at usually 2 lecture and a tutorial per Maths module, and 1 lecture and 1 tutorial for English. In second year you only have tutorials for the mandatory English modules, your optional ones don't, although some lecturers will treat the lecture as a seminar so it's somewhat more interactive. Though Maths has about 3 more hours of classes than English, they consume a roughly equal amount of time as English has quite a lot of reading and the famous "self-directed learning". TSM students take half the modules of the pure English or pure Maths students, which isn't too much of a hindrance in English - it can be a little awkward in Maths but overall the way the course is structured means it isn't too bad. Be aware that Maths at third level is difficult, especially when balancing it with an Arts subject. There were quite a lot of transfers to other disciplines or to pure Maths from within the TSM group, and that seems to be a trend throughout the years. English is hugely enjoyable but it is easy enough leave it to the side if you don't have a genuine interest, and then suddenly the exams are a thing and you need to read several dozen books; it's definitely a course for those who do love English and reading. Maths is examined by end of year exams with some continuous assessment, while English is based on either an essay or an exam, 3 of each.

Summary:
    I love this course because it's on the two extremes of the spectrum, but that can also be a reason to hate it - it isn't for everyone. The subjects don't help each other out, but it can also be refreshing to take a break from one side of academia and go to the other. Both subjects are plenty of work but it's definitely manageable without slaying yourself in the library the whole time. Running from one end of the campus to the other can be a pain but you also meet a great variety of people and socially my course is great fun :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,989 ✭✭✭PictureFrame

520. Points have increased by 15 points each year for the last 3 years so 2013 entry could possibly be 530-535.

Number of Students:
    Around 20 accepted each year into the Undenominated Psychology course (MH106), my class consists of 18 students, 13 girls and 5 lads. However lectures in 1st year have around 200 people as some students choose to study Psychology through Arts (MH101) or through Science (MH209) at reduced points but aren't guaranteed their place in 2nd year through the MH101 course.

Hours:
    For Psychology modules, you're looking at around 4 hours a week (3 lectures and 1 tutorial). In 1st year, you choose 2 other subjects to study with Psychology and the combination of these subjects will add (in some cases) considerably to your overall number of hours. I study English & Sociology along with Psychology and have a total of 9 hours a week including tutorials for both of my additional subjects. This brings my overall hours to 13 a week which is very handy!

Content:
    Ok, so I won't discuss my Arts subjects here, i'm just going to talk about Psychology (if anyone wants me to discuss English and/or Sociology drop me a PM).

Ok so in first year, you take 4 main Psychology Modules:
    1. Biological and Developmental Psychology (Semester 1)
    2. Research Design and Psychological Statistics (Semester 1)
    3. Social and Cognitive Psychology (Semester 2)
    4. History and Methodology of Psychological Research (Semester 2)

Summary:
    Psychology is an interesting course, I don't know if I love it yet, only time will tell if it is the 'perfect' course for me. However most people don't realise that Psychology is a fantastic started degree and opens a lot of doors for future careers which are seemingly 'unrelated' to the field of Psychology. For example Research, Science, Management, Social Work, Teaching etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭Found This Fork Sir

Anyone doing CS & IT in NUIG? :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 7,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭XxMCRxBabyxX

yournerd wrote: »
    Just wants law like :) I want to do it in trinity or UCD or maynooth :)

Well here's my post on Maynooth:
    Course: Law and Arts (History) in Maynooth

However I got into Law by doing Arts and taking Law as one of my subjects. Got a 2.1 (60) in Law and was able to transfer into the Law degree. Arts is 370.

http://gomaynooth.ie/lecturers.html
    http://gomaynooth.ie/students.html
    www.nuim.ie/courses
    http://history.nuim.ie/

Number of students: I think there is about 90 in my class although that has probably gone up

Hours: About 14 hours of lectures/tutorials and plenty more with reading and assignments!

Course Content:
    First Year: In first year you will study Law with two other Arts subjects (whether you're in Arts or the Law degree). In Law you will study Contract Law, Constitutional Law and Administrative Law. The first two are over both semesters while Admin is only in Sem 2. You may have a dreaded triple class on Fridays...
    I believe that the history course has changed but I think that they still have Practicing History 1 and 2 which are a bit like the basics of History that you studied in you JC
    I also did Sociology that year which I hated! And I can't actually remember what I studied that year other than Politics of the European Union.

Second Year: I got into Law and Arts in 2nd year and so I dropped Sociology. In Law I studied EU Law, Criminal Law, Tort Law and Evidence Law. In History I studied Early Modern Europe in Sem 1 and Early Modern Ireland and England and Sem 2. In 2nd year History you also get to choose 30 credits of elective modules so I chose History of Medicine and an Art History module.

Third Year: In third year you have three choices: Go on to final year, study abroad for a year or go on work placement for a year. I went for the work placement option in one of Ireland's top five law firms. It was an absolutely amazing experience and I even ended up having my contract extended by 2 months. I was also offered a training contract at the end of it which was brilliant to have.

Fourth Year: I have yet to start fourth year but I will be studying Land Law, Company Law, Equity and Jurisprudence in Law and Ireland in the Modern World and Europe in the 19th and 20th Century as the compulsory modules in History. I haven't picked my electives yet.

Assessment: About half of the modules will have some form of continuous assessment. All of the History compulsory modules both include a couple of assignments which will make up about two thirds of the final marks for that module with an exam making up the rest of the marks. The electives are nearly all marked entirely by continuous assessment. Some only have one big essay while others will include small tests, book reviews or presentations as well as the essay. There is no definite system for the CA in Law but some lecturers will give it. Often they will be case summaries or an assessment of a certain aspect of the Law.

Summary: I LOVE the course and studying in Maynooth. For me it's a great college with great people and a brilliant atmosphere. I have really enjoyed everything I have studied and I have gotten some great opportunities through both the Law and History departments. The classes are small enough to get to know your lecturers so use it to your advantage!

The Course structure nay have changed so don't take all this as definite!

Any questions about Law or History (or both!), send a PM :)

If you have any more Qs feel free to ask here or PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,340 ✭✭✭Siobhnk

1st year nurse in UCD, if anyone wants a bit of info :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭Garzard

Looking for a bit of info on Automotive Management and Technology in DIT, I might put it down as a first choice. Anyone here done it?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭deand21594

Doing Sports MGMT & Coaching if anyone wants info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 Ellenkc

biohaiid wrote: »
    First year Psychology and Sociology student at the University of Limerick.

I think points this year were 495.

There's 28 in my class, although we are always mixed in with other classes such as the Bsc. Psychology class, Law Plus, Arts, Economics and Sociology etc.

I have 5 modules - Psychology and Everyday Life, Theory and Method 1, Practical Psychology 1, Introduction to Sociology 1 and Introduction to Social Research Methods. I know 3 of these modules continue after the holidays, not sure about the rest, sorry.

I only have 14 hours in a regular week, although it changes from time to time with different things.

The workload isn't too bad. As I said I don't have many hours, but there is quite a lot of independent research to be done, which is difficult enough at the start but you get used to it.

If anyone wants me to go into more detail about the course, subjects, modules, workload, university etc I'd be more than happy too.
    I know I knew very little about this course when I begun, and how different it was to how I imagined, so I know how valuable this info could be.

How do you find the Sociology? I've researched this course a fair bit and while I think I've got a pretty good grip on what Psych will be like, I reckon Sociology will be completely different to what I'm imagining.
    How do you think the course measures up against the single Psych course? I'm a bit wary that the points are lower, seeing as most courses with two subjects are usually much higher points-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭HistoryKitty

I know there is plenty in here about arts courses but thought I might post my own experience here.

Course: UCD Arts - Maths, Irish, Economics

Maths
    So far I'm loving maths in UCD. I think it's taught really well and the lecturers are really helpful. I find it challenging but if you work at it then you should be okay. We've tutorials (which are like small classes) and the tutors really help you out :D. You can take 4 modules in maths in first year. There is a maths support centre too if you need help with anything. :)

Irish
    I did 2 modules in irish. I really liked irish in college. I thought the way they taught it was great. In my modules, I had 2 grammar classes and 1 oral class a week. And if you're not too confident in irish but have an interest there is a module called Bunchloch na Gaeilge to build up your standard of irish. There are plenty of different modules on offer like heritage etc so there's something for everyone.

Economics
    I find it a lot different from LC economics. Its all just lectures so you have to do a lot of work on your own but it is easy to find videos and info on all your topics :) There is an economics support centre if you're finding anything difficult. :)

Hours:
    Hours aren't too much or too little really I had 19 last semester and 14 this semester :)

Number of people:
    There are 120 in maths which isn't too much tbh :) And you'll make friends really easy :) There are 800 or more in economics because commerce students are in our lectures too. I find it challenging enough to make friends but just mingle a lot in the first few weeks and you'll be grand. There are a lot of people doing irish but the classes are small with no more than 20 people in a class :)

Additional comments:
    Okay I just have a few things to say about my course and arts in general.
    • Arts isn't as easy as everyone makes out. It is a lot of work and is as hard as any course. Don't believe that it's useless cause it's not, an Arts degree is a good degree to have if you use it well. Just take it seriously.
    • Arts wasn't my first choice and even though it wasn't I still loved it so I'm just saying this in case somebody sees this post after offers and is sad about getting arts. I'm having a great time in college and most importantly I love my course and I'm so happy I got it :)

UCD:
    UCD is really really big but dont let that scare you :) I find that I recognise the same faces after a few weeks and I make new friends everyday :) There is plenty of facilities on campus and I'm never bored there. I find UCD is really supportive and give you loads of information.

PM if you want more info about anything :) Hope this helped :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Hi, just wondering if anybody is doing Theoretical Physics in UCD and could give me an insight into how much maths is involved.

Little bit of info: I'm probably only a B maths student at the moment and I'm doing Applied Maths and honestly I'm struggling but I'm hoping to get on top of it.

I have a keen interest in quantum mechanics and the like and was hoping if somebody could delve into the course a bit and tell me what aspects of quantum mechanics it covers.

Also if anybody is doing it in TCD I'm interested but I visited TCD and honestly didn't have one positive thing to say about it just couldn't see myself studying there.

Anyway, I'm rambling now anybody with info PLEASE PM me, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 fccallan

Hey!
    im studying athletic therapy and training in DCU! if ye have any questions pm me and ill give ye all the info! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Hermione Granger

Hey everyone,

I study Diagnostic Radiography!

Any questions, shoot! :)

Hi. I'm after doing my L.c. in 2012 and am seriously considering radiation therapy. I would really appreciate it if you could answer my questions .

I didn't study physics for the Leaving and didn't really like it at Junior Cert level. Is there much physics in the course and is it difficult to grasp?

Did you do any work experience in this area before you started your course ?

Is there much demand for qualified workers in Ireland?

Is the degree recognised abroad ?

From other research that I've done I found out that the oncologists basically tell you what dose of radiation to give. Is this true ? and if so does the job get a bit boring after a while ?

Thanks so much :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭Luize

Anyone doing Applied Languages in UL, Applied Languages and Translation Studies in DCU or International Languages in UCD?
    Please pm me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Mr.Fun

Hi. I'm after doing my L.c. in 2012 and am seriously considering radiation therapy. I would really appreciate it if you could answer my questions .

I didn't study physics for the Leaving and didn't really like it at Junior Cert level. Is there much physics in the course and is it difficult to grasp?

Did you do any work experience in this area before you started your course ?

Is there much demand for qualified workers in Ireland?

Is the degree recognised abroad ?

From other research that I've done I found out that the oncologists basically tell you what dose of radiation to give. Is this true ? and if so does the job get a bit boring after a while ?

Thanks so much :)

Diagnostic radiography and radiation therapy are almost completely different for a start

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Bonbon1995

Hi guys I'm a 6th year student seriously considering applying for midwifery in UL next year so if anyone here studies midwifery in UL or generally anywhere, or has any knowledge in relation to it could you answer a few q's please?

1. How many hours a week do you have and when would your day typically start and end?

2. Is there a great deal of needles involved? Im quite petrified of them especially blood tests?

3. Does studying midwifery, especially with placement, take away from a great deal of the social life like RAG week, Christmas daze and student race day??
    Thanking you all. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Undeadfred

Aspiring wrote: »
    Hi, just wondering if anybody is doing Theoretical Physics in UCD and could give me an insight into how much maths is involved.

Little bit of info: I'm probably only a B maths student at the moment and I'm doing Applied Maths and honestly I'm struggling but I'm hoping to get on top of it.

I have a keen interest in quantum mechanics and the like and was hoping if somebody could delve into the course a bit and tell me what aspects of quantum mechanics it covers.

Also if anybody is doing it in TCD I'm interested but I visited TCD and honestly didn't have one positive thing to say about it just couldn't see myself studying there.

Anyway, I'm rambling now anybody with info PLEASE PM me, thank you!

Hey, i didn't see any responses to this so i thought i might tell you what i know.

I'm only in 6th year still but i plan on doing Theoretical Physics next year in either TCD or UCD. I've researched the courses quite thoroughly so i know as much about it as you can without actually being a student.

Theoretical Physics is very heavily maths based. In Trinity the course is 2/3 maths and 1/3 physics for the first 2 years, then its 50:50 for the last 2 years. consider it a TSM course with Maths and Physics.

A lot of students drop out of the course and switch to either Maths or Physics. There's something like a 40% drop out rate, one of the highest in Trinity. I've heard the workload is quite large as well, more so than maths or general science.

I don't have as much info on the UCD course as on the Trinity course since its part of the general science program in UCD, but i presume that its very similar as I've been told by a number of reliable sources that a TP grad from UCD would be at the same level as one for TCD. The good thing about UCD though is that if you dont like TP its not a big deal as you have a choice between a range of 6 subjects to study.

In general I'd say you'd have to really like maths to do Theoretical Physics. I love maths, more so than i do physics, so the course is perfect for me in that sense.

Hope this helps. If you want more info on the course you can search it on boards and you can generally find a good few threads about TP students talking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭dropping_bombs

Slow Show wrote: »
    Biomedical Science in NUIG, anyone?

Sup, I'm after finishing 4th year. I did Physiology in final year through undenominated but it's effectively the same as Biomed, also most of the class were Biomed so I know a lot about their situation.

So first year you do Physics, Chemistry, Biology and Biomedical Science. Biomedical Science really gives you an advantage on science people as you do a lot of presentations which are important in later years. You do an essay on a topic assigned to you which is supervised by a lecturer in one of the Biomed subjects (Biochemistry, Physiology, Anatomy and Pharmacology). Seemingly it is relatively simple once you get used to projects.

In second year you do a full year of 2 from the Biomed subjects and a semester of the other you also do a year of biomedical science, which is more presentations and some statistics.

In third year you do a full year of one subject half the other and another full biomedical science year.

In final year you do a full year of one subject and half a year of biomedical science. I hope that all made sense.

A bit more about Physiology. I loved it, it makes more sense than the other 3 in my opinion and is more fun. In second and third year you do modules on all body systems and exercise and how it impacts on these systems. In third year you build on this knowledge and study in more detail how disease effects the body. You also look into Stem cells, therapeutics and regenerative medicine. You also do a project in 4th year. This takes about one full semester and is supervised by one of the lecturers in the department. In other years you generally do computer labs, these are simple but allow you to understand lecture material.

The lecturers, bar one in my opinion, are all interesting and approachable. In second and third year you have 4 lectures a week and 2 hours of labs. In final year this increases and changes every week.

The only negative that I found was that sometimes things aren't overly organised and can change at the last second.

NUIG is great for college, the Biomeds all really form a good class bond and the subjects are interesting and all are growth areas. Also they are building a new bioscience research building as well as a new teaching building so standards will improve further in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭user.name

Not a fairly popular course but might as well put something on it, putting off studying for my own exams - procrastination still happens in college!

Course
    Economics, Politics and Law, DCU

No. of students
    Around 70ish, but you share lectures with other degree courses

Hours
    14, doesn't really go up from that!

Course Content
    Law - Law isn't too bad, you have two law modules in your first semster - Constitutional Law (year long) and the Irish Legal System. They are pretty manageable, assignments aren't too bad. Depends on who you get for Con. Law, there is a lot of information you have to know, like articles of the Constitution and the cases that conflict with that.
    Politics - Intro. to politics is pretty easy. If you have a general interest then you will know some of the key terms.
    Economics - it would be helpful if you done economics for the leaving but not necessary (I didn't). Its full of information, but isn't too hard to get into. You have two in class exams in semesters 1 and 2 and then an exam in May.
    Others - In semester 1 you have two other modules you think has nothing to do with your degree - Research Skills (skills on how to research for essays and its all continuous assessment, its easy enough) and business maths (basically furthering from lc maths with loads of economics maths added to it, not fun!)

Further Comments
    Course may seem a tad bit dull, but its actually interesting. They weigh out economics, politics and law somewhat equally. DCU itself is brilliant though. You can escape some of the big headed peeps you might find in other colleges, not naming any in particular :p Social side is great, loads of clubs and socs to join and great for nightlife (go to the college balls!) and the library has loads of great resources to help with study. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Course:
    Management Science and Information Systems Studies (MSISS) in Trinity

Number of students:
    27 to start, 24 of us left

Hours:
    20 in first semester, then 15 in the second semester

Course Content:
    You'll study a wide variety of subjects in first year, Programming, Engineering Maths, Organisation & Management, Statistical Analysis, Management Science, Software Applications and Economics. All are introductory courses, apart from Maths, and will assume little or no prior knowledge, and you will be beginning from scratch. That being said, as with the LC, if you keep up to date with the subjects then you will be fine.
    Programming will probably be the hardest thing you do in first year. This isn't a module you can cram for, you need to go the classes, and keep up with the work. You will get weekly assignments, and they get very difficult very quick, the easy thing to do is to google for a solution or get the solution from a classmate, but you will more than likely fail in summer going this way.
    Eng Maths assumes a lot of knowledge of LC HL Maths, and again you get weekly assignments which you should do yourself. For Maths and Programming, assignments are worth 20% of overall grade, and you need to pass these as well as the summer exam.
    Organisation & Management is very wordy. It will involve a lot of readings, and i find them to be very vague and they don't do anything only talk about stuff. Unless you are passionate about the stuff you won't like this module.
    Statistical Analysis builds on what you done in LC. The first few weeks go over most of the LC course, and if you don't keep up with this then the labs and assignments will be very difficult. Along with Software App, this module is first semester only and this is why the hours drop between semesters.
    Management Science is my favourite module, and the favourite of a lot of people in the class. It involves going through a series of scientific methods for management type questions, such as decisions on where to invest money.

Summary:
    The course really is like it says on the prospectus. I can already see several things in this course that will be valuable in future years, and we are only beginning to get to some of the more interesting stuff. The workload isn't overly hard if you do the work required week to week. As with most courses, if you don't keep up with it you will fall behind. Unlike other courses, this is not a course you can cram for. There is job prospects from this course, during induction in September we were told that all wishing to be in full time employment, were. Parts of the course, you won't like, because it is so varied. And you don't get much specialisation in further years, with none in 1st year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 6,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoonyLovegood

I'm doing Civil Law in NUIG. If anyone'd like to know about it, feel free to PM me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

df123 wrote: »
    Hi :) Does anyone have any information about the Liberal Arts course in Mary I OR Business and Accounting teaching in St Pats Thurles? :)

I'm doing the BEd course in Mary I but I have a lot of friends doing the arts course. It's a great college, haven't a bad word to say really. It's much closer to town than UL, and the numbers are smaller which is obviously a plus.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,102 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

buyer95 wrote: »
    I'm doing the BEd course in Mary I but I have a lot of friends doing the arts course. It's a great college, haven't a bad word to say really. It's much closer to town than UL, and the numbers are smaller which is obviously a plus.

There's also a Mary I forum, where the OP might have a better chance of a response.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭aarond280

Im studying actuarial and financial studies in UCD, points this year started at 570 and went down to 565, a course that is challenging and for those who are interested in Maths. Accounting and Economics would be handy enough to have but not essential as both are thought as introductory courses, I didn't do either. Any questions feel free to ask

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

First of, CHOOSE A COLLEGE COURSE WHICH YOU THINK YOU COULD FIND ENJOYING!!

Excuse the ugly capitals, but I felt it was important, now here we go...

*deep breath*

Hi all, I'm a 3rd year Electronic & Computer Engineering student in NUI Galway. Currently stressing about exams before I start my work placement in April!
    When I first started doing Engineering, I choose to do Undenominated Engineering since I didn't really have a clue what I wanted to get into. I had a small idea I wanted to do Biomedical Engineering but discovered over the year I was liking the sound of Electronic Engineering a lot more. My third year Electronic Engineering, as a discipline within the College of Engineering & Informatics, consist of Electrical & Electronic Engineering, Electronic & Computer Engineering, and Sports & Exercise Engineering (though this last one might be discontinued for incoming first years, not sure).
    I choose Electronic Engineering since I had a bit of experience with electronics myself, for having a tiny "business" if you could call it that repairing/customising electrical guitar wiring when I was in my teens. I also really enjoyed the electronics side of the LC Physics course, so that helped. Also in the words of Jesse Pinkman, "Magnets Bitch!!" .

Undenominated Engineering was great craic, had to do modules like Biology & Chemistry (which I'd studied during the Leaving but ended up getting an A in, they're taught way better at college! ), and various maths & physics. The new first years also have a module where they do a few weeks' Mechanical Engineering, a few weeks' Civil, and a few weeks' Electrical. I was working harder than my mates who were studying Arts or Science, but that's just how engineering is. It's definitely manageable though, don't worry! It's also very well worth it in the end, an Engineering degree allows you to work a number of different jobs in a number of different fields. Many Engineers these days are also businesspeople.
    When I specialised in ECE in second year, I went from a large class of 100+ in Undenominated to a class of about 22. It did take me a while to get the hang of some of the Electronic Eng subjects, and programming was completely new to me, but I stuck with it and I love it. All the lecturers in EE are extremely helpful and supportive, and they treat you with respect, as long as you show that same respect by going to lectures and making a good effort in their classes. One of my lecturers was actually a founder of boards.ie!
    In my first semester of ECE, I designed (with a group of people) a "robotic" tin whistle that could be played electronically. Of course when I started off I had no idea what I was doing, but I learned a massive amount doing it. In the second semester, I worked with 2 other lads to create a tracking device which had the application of being used as an anti-theft device on motorcycles.

In third year now I'm involved in creating an app which uses native indoor navigation to guide a vision impaired user around a building in which they've never been in before. As part of Engineers week recently, I worked with primary school kids doing a Lego Robotics workshop too!All third year engineers go on work placement this year, so I'll be moving up to Dublin to work with a company there until August. You can get paid for your internship, but the experience is the key thing. You have to go through the full professional method of getting a job, suiting up, doing interviews, getting rejected, getting hired.

There's also a great sense of teamwork among Engineers, we all know the work is hard so most people are generally happy to help each other! We had an Engineering Meet & Greet night where all years were invited, over 100 people came and had a great time!

tl; dr Electronic Engineering in NUIG is awesome. Work hard, play hard (terrible slogan I know). Biggest advice: CHOOSE A COLLEGE COURSE WHICH YOU CAN SEE YOURSELF ENJOYING

• Registered Users Posts: 47 ShonyBoulders

ShonyBoulders,Thank you so much for the information you have put up really appreciate it as i have put down undenominated engineering in NUIG as my first choice and id like to get a bit more information from you if you wouldnt mind.
    1. Is the maths and physics much more difficult than in Leaving cert?
    2. What is the time table like?
    3. Is it more practical work than theory?
    4. Do you think the points will go up this year?

1. The maths and physics are around the same level as Higher Level LC. Even if you're not doing so well or do a bad LC, NUIG still has options available. I messed up my Leaving Maths, got a HD2, but NUIG offered an Entrance Exam which I passed and I haven't had any trouble with maths since. It's quite well taught in university. One of the aims of first year is just to bring everyone up to the same level.

2. Your timetable will look like you have full days 9-6, so it looks daunting, but many of the hour slots will be tutorials and labs which won't start up for a few weeks. Tutorials are very important, they'll help get your assignments completed, but you really only need to attend one per subject per week. First and second years kind of get roasted for hours, but it's not so bad, trust me! And if you think it is, give me a PM!
    In third year we have much fewer hours on our timetable, but the work we have to do is much harder and we much more to do in our own time.

3. College is different to secondary school, instead of straight classes, you'll have lectures, tutorials and labs making up your modules. Lectures are always theory, tutorials are more practical where they help you complete assignments, and labs are where you do real hands on work. By the way, labs don't just mean going into a chemistry place, but also looking at machines do stuff (or whatever mechanical engineering labs are, have no idea haha!), or in my case assembling/analysing circuits in the Electronics lab room of the Eng Building.

4. Points? I can't really help you on this, as far as I know they only represent the average number of points a successful applicant had. All I will say is, adopt a methodical way to answering questions, for essays that's like PQE (Make a point, back up with a quote, explain the relevance) and for maths/science subjects, learn off the stuff you can learn off, drill your formulae into your head, even if they are in the log books it'll save you valuable time in the exam. Also try to understand how everything in the formula is related.
    And then in true Leaving Cert fashion, do as many exam papers as you can, and start studying early!

Any more questions do let me know!

EDIT: Also, I know it's super stressful doing the Leaving, you'll die if you don't do a good Leaving blah blah blah, just don't forget to take care of yourself (this applies to everyone). Try to eat healthy, and catch an early bedtime. I can't function until I have my 7 hours 45 mins sleeping and have my Muay Thai! Having a good regular sleeping pattern, along with a good diet and some sports on top (whatever you fancy, football, GAA, hurling, swimming, running, walking) keeps your brain working well and makes you feel good. And when you feel good you look good, which makes you feel good! I'll stop here before it gets too slick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Cathal6606 wrote: »
    I want to do physics as one of the subjects if I get science but I'm not doing it for the leaving cert, how difficult would it be to pick up? (I'm pretty decent at maths if that has any bearing)

The physics isnt that hard to pick up, i didnt do it for the leaving either (12 years ago) and i was able to get an A in the christmas exams in it. if your good at maths, then you have the hard part covered. The maths i found the hardest part.
    The first physics module (foundations of physics), starts with the very basics of physics, so if you attend lectures and do the assigned problem sheets, its quite easy to pick up. There is a lot of information in it, but not difficult, and it is marked generously, they want you to understand it, so most marks are given for the method, not the final answers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Even a brief few lines saying how you found the course is helpful, folks, and perhaps then if people have more detailed questions, they can always pm. ;)

Advertisement