Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low Irish IQ

• 06-08-2006 3:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Hello all.

On another place I post Ive been told that the Irish average IQ is about 93 or so. The main argument for this comes from Richard Lynn. Now when I do some research on this I cannot for the life of me find any real sources to verify or contradict this!

Can anybody help me out. In the name of the Irish people :D

Great Britain: Research by Richard Lynn discussed in Ciaran Benson, "Ireland's 'Low' IQ," pp. 222-23 in Russell Jacoby and Naomi Glauberman (eds.), The Bell Curve Debate (New York: Times Books, 1995).

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

You're asking this to people on AH? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

nevr heard dat b4, i did hear 1 bout d blacks in nigeria r sumthin havin bout 40 lower IQ avg dan mst of d rst of d world..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

That's because all the bright ones emigrated. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭sixpack's little hat

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    nevr heard dat b4, i did hear 1 bout d blacks in nigeria r sumthin havin bout 40 lower IQ avg dan mst of d rst of d world..

QED

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Isn't 90 pretty much the average IQ for humans in general? So it's nothing special if it's true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

^CwAzY^ wrote:

Second thread today I've read where you say something negative about Blacks.

Also on a thread about IQ I'd avoid getting your 13 year old sister to type for you. She seems to think you do it the same way her mates text her.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

There is an argument that the Irish IQ is lower by about 10 point generally as at some deep sub conscious level we all think in only Irish (the language of our ancestors) and as a consequence of speaking and thinking in English, part of our brain power is consumed doing the "translations"

Btw I think the Bell curve is a awful piece of research with some really dodgy methodology and even worse analysis.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,055 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

^CwAzY^ wrote:

dear christ. Close your boards.ie account please, do us a favour ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭Crucifix

Isn't 90 pretty much the average IQ for humans in general? So it's nothing special if it's true.
    I thought 100 was the average by definition. I could be wrong though.

Also on a thread about IQ I'd avoid getting your 13 year old sister to type for you. She seems to think you do it the same way her mates text her.

yawn, dis is taken from richard lynn site
    In 1991 I extended my work on race differences in intelligence to other races. I concluded that the average IQ of blacks in sub-Saharan Africa is approximately 70. It has long been known that the average IQ of blacks in the United States is approximately 85. The explanation for the higher IQ of American blacks is that they have about 25 per cent of Caucasian genes and a better environment.
    The IQ of blacks in sub-Saharan Africa is a good deal lower at 67. Hence, the adverse environment in sub-Saharan Africa, which he regards as consisting principally of poor nutrition and health, contributes about 13 IQ points to the low IQ in sub-Saharan Africa.
    taken from www.rlynn.co.uk

u cant call me a racist for quotin facts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

RuggieBear wrote:
    There is an argument that the Irish IQ is lower by about 10 point generally as at some deep sub conscious level we all think in only Irish (the language of our ancestors) and as a consequence of speaking and thinking in English, part of our brain power is consumed doing the "translations"

Btw I think the Bell curve is a awful piece of research with some really dodgy methodology and even worse analysis.

~I'd be interested to know who put forth that argument. I knew a Dutch guy living here so long he said he was translating more when speaking in Dutch. Surely that would imply the brain doesn't mind which language it thinks in once it's used to it.

Surely the english used by English people's ancestors would be very different to the english spoken today.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Crucifix wrote:
    I thought 100 was the average by definition. I could be wrong though.
    Well I think it's something like 80% have an IQ between 90 and 110.

Anything below 70 and you're looking at mental retardation though.

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    u cant call me a racist for quotin facts

They are not facts. They are his interpretations of his woeful research.

dats jus u sayin its woeful, sure ders lots of ppl who agre wit him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

...and you were the one slating the Herald for missing satire?

Or is this deeply deeply hidden sarcasm?

~I'd be interested to know who put forth that argument. I knew a Dutch guy living here so long he said he was translating more when speaking in Dutch. Surely that would imply the brain doesn't mind which language it thinks in once it's used to it.

Surely the english used by English people's ancestors would be very different to the english spoken today.

It was actually something i heard in a lecture years ago. Personally I think it's a pile of yak **** ( for the very reasons you put forward) but then it isn't my field of research and i know very little about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Ruu wrote:
    You're asking this to people on AH? :)

I didnt know where else to put it :eek:

Anything lower than a 100 is considered below average. 93 is quite low for a developed country.

RuggieBear wrote:

The Irish thing is interesting, can you remember where you heard it. I know the Bell Curve is dodgy and so is Lynn but I cant find anything to contradict his finding :(

RuggieBear wrote:
    They are not facts. They are his interpretations of his woeful research.

Can you point me in the direction of anything that would show his interpetations are shoddy etc?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

RuggieBear wrote:
    at some deep sub conscious level we all think in only Irish
    This is lies... I've spoken with my subconscious while on LSD and he doesn't speak Irish.
    lol though, he was so freaked out I knew he was there. :D :eek:

NB. Drugs r bad mmkay.

scop wrote:
    Can you point me in the direction of anything that would show his interpetations are shoddy etc?

Also interested in this, wouldnt hold my breath tho as he has already said
    but then it isn't my field of research and i know very little about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭the Shades

Please learn how to type in English... oh really? well if I have to... Cwazy, I think you'll find your arguments might hold more weight if they presented in the correct manner.

On the plus side if the Irish average is 93 I'm well above that :D

Tbh, I can't. I studied a good bit on IQ and epistemology in college and came across these guys research and a lot of papers arguing against their methods and results but i couldn't tell you which journals to start looking for (I suppose you could try the dept of sociology in Trinity College)

RuggieBear wrote:
    Tbh, I can't. I studied a good bit on IQ and epistemology in college and came across these guys research and a lot of papers arguing against their methods and results but i couldn't tell you which journals to start looking for (I suppose you could try the dept of sociology in Trinity College)

Ok fair enough, thanks for the help. :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bell_Curve

some useful links there arguing the validity of the methods used within the bell curve by murray. Alot of them would be useful in arguing against the whole low Irish IQ too

I suppose specifically that evidence showing heritability of IQ does not indicate a genetic origin to group differences in intelligence

• Closed Accounts Posts: 304 ✭✭Dagnir Glaurung

According to this we have an IQ of 99...can't vouch for the reliability of the site though. This says the same thing

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

i have no idea what my iq is and i don't really care.
    i have no desire to join mensa just because i can.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭TomCo

julep wrote:
    i have no idea what my iq is

I know mine, its awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

^CwAzY^ wrote:

WHAT THE **** IS THIS! jesus, where did I put my English-Retard dictionary.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement