Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

24-08-2014, 21:55   #1186
nice_guy80

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabadabado View Post
Didn't we beat them in the final about 2 years ago ?
Yeah.
Roscommon were huge outsiders that day v Kildare.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
20-09-2014, 19:17   #1187
megadodge

Just back from the replay between Faithleachs and the Gaels. Faithleachs won by a point and I have to say they deserved to do so.

They were unlucky in the first game where a lucky late Gaels goal nearly stole it and it looked like history was going to repeat itself again when the Gaels got another lucky goal well into the second half (followed by a point to put four in it) and it looked decisive in a tight match between very evenly matched sides. However, Faithleachs just wouldn't back down and clawed back point by point (including two soft frees) and Ciaran Murtagh got two massive points to give them the win.

The Gaels real problem was a lack of penetration. They dominated midfield but were content to play the ball sideways out around the '50 and then either play it into Mark Healy (playing at FF) who had to go to the wings to lose two markers and expect him to do it all on his own, or, worse still, just hoof a high ball into Healy where there were three or four Faithleachs players on him. The support play you usually associate with them was poor. The Gaels really, really missed Cian Connolly (injured I presume - didn't play), whose ability to win ball and finish would have given them an extra option and possibly freed up Healy also.

The first day I got to see Brigids and Clann too and despite Cathal Shine and Ultan Harney doiminating midfield, Brigids were far, far too slick and polished, plus Clann had no forwards (Donie injured). Was impressed with my first look at Mulhaire in the flesh. Shows constantly and works very well with Senan. They won't be beaten this year (which is not what I thought early in the summer).

Finally, I must say Ultan Harney is absolutely ready to play inter-county senior. His physical strength and control on the ball is stunning for someone so young and despite the fact that he's probably not six foot, his aerial ability is excellent. Hopefully he's brought in.
20-09-2014, 22:49   #1188
Syferus

Sure he was invited onto the panel by Evans but rightly chose to respectfully decline because of his injuries and other constraints - he only sat his Leaving in June. Don't doubt himself and Corcoran will be on the senior panel next year.
20-09-2014, 23:03   #1189
yabadabado

Did Ward get a 2 game suspension for the incident last Sunday ?
20-09-2014, 23:05   #1190
Syferus

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabadabado View Post
Did Ward get a 2 game suspension for the incident last Sunday ?
Heard nothing so I assume it's just a regular one game suspension.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion