Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tops of the town

• 17-08-2014 10:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭

Was anyone ever involved in the Tops Of The Town?

I was marginally involved in an effort in 1990, and despite the pain involved at the time it genuinely was something I look back on quite fondly.

It was a big company effort rather than local group thing, and we didn't get past the competion in Wexford, but we had the most tremendous fun.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah that's a bit of a blast from the past! Did it stop because sponsorship stopped? The television performances were often remarkably good considering it was all very amateur local talent, I suppose we have all got too sophisticated for amateur events on tv :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,631 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

looksee wrote: »
    ...I suppose we have all got too sophisticated for amateur events on tv :(
    TV seems to be full of amateurs these days. Amateur dancers, amateur pop singers, amateur classical singers, amateur bands, amateur chiefs, amateur gymnasts, amateur gardeners, amateur designers...

Then they bring in the celebrity versions: Celebrity amateur dancers, celebrity amateur pop singers, ect., ect.

I'd love to see the return of Tops Of The Town.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

I was part of a Team that won a Heat of this about 81' or 82', brings back great memories

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 26,899 ✭✭✭✭BBDBB

OldGoat wrote: »
    TV seems to be full of amateurs these days. Amateur dancers, amateur pop singers, amateur classical singers, amateur bands, amateur chiefs, amateur gymnasts, amateur gardeners, amateur designers...

Then they bring in the celebrity versions: Celebrity amateur dancers, celebrity amateur pop singers, ect., ect.

I'd love to see the return of Tops Of The Town.

It certainly is, and unfortunately its the sort of telly I cant stand to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭SouthernBelle

I was part of a winning group. Oh the excitement when we were "live from the Gaeity". :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement