Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

INTRODUCE YOURSELF 2014/15 first years

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Hotfail.com

To add to the above post.. There's an absolutely unreal Mexican place near Paul Street, go there! :D :pac:

And Cork is great, that's about all ye outsiders need to know. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

To add to the above post.. There's an absolutely unreal Mexican place near Paul Street, go there! :D :pac:

And Cork is great, that's about all ye outsiders need to know. :p

Café Mexicana?

Yeah, you will hear about how great Cork is. It's a well known fact in Ireland that Cork is fantastic, Corkonians are a great bunch of lads and we're always up for a bitta banter. The rest of the country/world hate us for accepting the fact we are a naturally fantastic bunch of fellas.

magicianz wrote: »
    Café Mexicana?

That's the name of it, yeah. Love the place. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Velvet Daffy

I don't know if it's still there but there was a little coffee shop down the road from the School of Music that made amazing hot chocolate :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 Velvet Daffy

Yeah, you will hear about how great Cork is. It's a well known fact in Ireland that Cork is fantastic, Corkonians are a great bunch of lads and we're always up for a bitta banter. The rest of the country/world hate us for accepting the fact we are a naturally fantastic bunch of fellas.

The real capital and all that :P

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Username1_

kaiju wrote: »
    Might sound kind of vague but d'you think you could type up a small list of your favourite places in Cork in general (like cafes, clubs, etc)? I'm all the way from Belgium and I've only visited Cork once before! Checked out Yelp and that helped me see it from a tourist perspective, but living there's probably a different story.

Thanks!

Check out the cork city section on this site. They hav threads for these kind of stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kaiju

Dude, you guys are GREAT! Thanks so much for all the recommendations! I'll be sure to check out the Cork City forum too. (Also-- went to Cafe Mexicana this evening, the food's amazing and the staff were so friendly!) And I'm glad your day of work wasn't too hefty lol

One more thing though:
    the Hi-B is for people with a deathwish
    Now you got me curious... I reaaaallly wanna know what this means!

The Hi-B is short for the Hi-Burger (I presume?) which is an absolutely terrible fast food restaurant in Merchants Quay shopping centre.

THEY CHARGE YOU FOR KETCHUP. :confused:

The Hi-B is short for the Hi-Burger (I presume?) which is an absolutely terrible fast food restaurant in Merchants Quay shopping centre.

I can confirm that Hi-B is not the Hi-Burger! :P Hi-B is a bar near the GPO, upstairs. One of the owners was a older man who, if he didn't like anything about you, would throw you out. No phones allowed in the pub. No loud, shouting. Old proper pub. Respect and respect. I'm sure someone else can explain the Hi-B phenomenon better than me!

• Advertisement

I can confirm that Hi-B is not the Hi-Burger! :P Hi-B is a bar near the GPO, upstairs. One of the owners was a older man who, if he didn't like anything about you, would throw you out. No phones allowed in the pub. No loud, shouting. Old proper pub. Respect and respect. I'm sure someone else can explain the Hi-B phenomenon better than me!

Oh I heard of this place! Think there was a thread on the People's Republic of Cork website on it... I'm not a member! :pac:

A drown your sorrows type of place.

The Hi-Burger should still be avoided though. :pac:

Places that charge you for condiments are truly hell on earth. Thanks for the heads up!

@magicianz THAT... sounds like an experience! You ever been in there? Also, GPO is the post office, right? :^)

Places that charge you for condiments are truly hell on earth. Thanks for the heads up!

@magicianz THAT... sounds like an experience! You ever been in there? Also, GPO is the post office, right? :^)

Yeah the GPO is the post office.

Aww you're so lucky to be coming to live in Cork for the first time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭ciaradx

For food also try get your hands on 2 for 1 keycards that will be around campus the first few weeks. They'll get you 2 for 1 main meals for Captain Americas and Wagamamas. I love Wagamamas, gone off Captains lately (service can be awful) but the keycard means a main meal for about 6 euro. Popular with students for obvious reasons :)

Also O'Conaills for hot chocolate is a must!! They're on French Church St and sometimes they set up a stall on campus.

ciaradx wrote: »
    For food also try get your hands on 2 for 1 keycards that will be around campus the first few weeks. They'll get you 2 for 1 main meals for Captain Americas and Wagamamas. I love Wagamamas, gone off Captains lately (service can be awful) but the keycard means a main meal for about 6 euro. Popular with students for obvious reasons :)

Also O'Conaills for hot chocolate is a must!! They're on French Church St and sometimes they set up a stall on campus.

Completely agree with everything above! Forgot entirely about Wagamamas/Cpt. Americas :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

I didn't think captain Americas was great last time I was there but €6 is still a good price .

For Chinese panda mamas in the city is good. I was there recently and the food and service is good .

Also it's pretty scabby when you charge for ketchup !

And cork is the real capital btw... Undisputed

@Hotfail.com Yeah man, Cork is way different from where I used to live. Went out today and this guy offered me a free tap water refill-- I almost teared up there and then. Haven't ever been offered free tap water before! They charge for both mineral and tap where I'm from. This place is a godsend.

@ciaradx Thanks for the tip! I've been to Cap's once before in Dublin, the service there was good and the food decent but it varies, I guess. I'll keep an eye out for O'Conaills too! :pac:

@EoghanIRL It does have a bit of a capital feel to it! Cosier than Dublin, a lot less hectic but still busy what with student life and all! It seems really nice. On the other hand, I don't know much about Dublin beyond the fact that groceries seem to be a hell of a lot more expensive there, which makes sense.

Also I feel a little guilty for derailing the thread like this so I suppose I should post an introduction template now oops

Name: Robin
    Course: Arts
    Interests: drawing, swimming, tv, lazing around, all the good stuff
    Clubs and societies you would like to join: proooobably hot beverages society and sci-fi, but we'll see?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭sunbabe08

Name: Robin
    Course: Arts
    Interests: drawing, swimming, tv, lazing around, all the good stuff
    Clubs and societies you would like to join: proooobably hot beverages society and sci-fi, but we'll see?

doing arts as well :D

and yes, pretty much every where offers free glasses of water. if your looking for tea. a restaurant called the streat provide tea and free refills.

welcome to cork :D

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    doing arts as well :D

and yes, pretty much every where offers free glasses of water. if your looking for tea. a restaurant called the streat provide tea and free refills.

welcome to cork :D
    Thank gooood, I know where to get my tea fix from now! Thanks a lot!

Just out of curiosity, what are you studying in first year? : O

edit: oops, just checked the first page! Never mind me! Really sorry to hear about the illness bit, but I hope it's been more or less smoothed out so you can enjoy your time at ucc to the fullest. I think we might have a few classes in common, too. (psychology sociology & geography)

Thank gooood, I know where to get my tea fix from now! Thanks a lot!

Just out of curiosity, what are you studying in first year? : O

oh and i forgot to mention, show them your student card, student discount :D & they have no problem giving boiled water with the tea. ;) gotta stretch that tea out some what as a student, that includes the food as well. also if your ever feeling peckish, go into the mardyke arena coffee and nosh give a student discount. there are a couple other places as well i'm gonna have to find out where exactly. i had this figured out two years ago, but last year i barely had time to eat i had so much assignments to get done, so i'm a little rusty, but i promise i will be on the look out for the more student friendly places.

now i'm studying psychology, sociology, philosophy and geography

i have to say psychology, sociology and philosophy are very popular, nearly every one i talked to are doing these 3 subjects. found no one though who's doing geography :(

just saw your edit, thank the lord, some one who's doing geography!!!!!! my name is jennifer, i have dark short hair, don't be afraid to come up to me on the first day i will not bite

as you can tell i'm excited!!

• Advertisement

So what are the best student card discounts? I will be chancing my luck everywhere :P

EoghanIRL wrote: »
    So what are the best student card discounts? I will be chancing my luck everywhere :P

depending what your looking for. food? clothes?

sunbabe08 wrote: »
    just saw your edit, thank the lord, some one who's doing geography!!!!!! my name is jennifer, i have dark short hair, don't be afraid to come up to me on the first day i will not bite

as you can tell i'm excited!!
    Don't know why geography doesn't seem to be as popular as some of the other Arts modules, it sounds so so interesting!! And I'll be sure to seek you out-- if you see the tiniest person in the world approach you, that's probably me. (I'm 5 ft/152 cm tall...)

Thank you so much for all the tips on discounts and stuff btw! Also heard you can get discounts in clothing shops just by showing your student ID; do you know anything about that? :^)

Don't know why geography doesn't seem to be as popular as some of the other Arts modules, it sounds so so interesting!! And I'll be sure to seek you out-- if you see the tiniest person in the world approach you, that's probably me. (I'm 5 ft/152 cm tall...)

Thank you so much for all the tips on discounts and stuff btw! Also heard you can get discounts in clothing shops just by showing your student ID; do you know anything about that? :^)

i've looked at the three modules we will be doing, while a little scary, they look interesting :D i always get this anxiety moment at the start of the year where i go wtf am i doing, to be honest last year felt like that and i still go through. so i'm probably panicking over nothing as per usual. also reminding myself i loved geography when i did it for my leaving cert and got a decent grade even though i was sick and unable to finish the exam

well generally i go up to the counter and ask do they do discounts, it's either a yes or a no. golden discs in patrick street (which is a music store that sells albums and dvds) do discounts, heathons (which is a clothes shop) do discounts, best sports gear and incredibly cheap. lifestyle sports in patrick's street as well (another clothes shop) i'm pretty sure there's a subway (food place) in town some where that does student discounts. i will find it again. oh and the cinemas do student discounts, personally can't go wrong with mahon point, ok it's a trek from the student village but a number 8 bus into grand parade & get on another bus on the grand parade on the opposite side of the street to get the number 15, great rocking chairs and plenty of room to stretch. and it's only 6 euro something for students.

yeah i pretty much know my way around this town for students, having studied for the last 4 years between complimentary health studies and social studies, i will be able to help you out to find the best place for student prices :D

Also adding to the restraunts there is tung sin in city centre (Chinese ) .
    Also luigi Malones is decent enough .

Also for people not from cork who don't know about Wilton shopping centre . It's approx 2 minutes from cuh and is handy if you don't want to walk into town . There is a big tesco there and also a penneys for clothing needs :P there is other misc shops in there ,gamestop etc . It's closer than town for me .

and the wilton bar and i think there's a pizza place as well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 AoifeFaa

Thanks to everyone above...that's some really handy information :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FlashRenegade

A bit late but hey, better late than never

Name: Zayn Foster
    Course: Networks and Web Design (St Johns)
    Interests: anime, hiking, cycling, creative writing, religion (Islam), Zelda, astronomy
    Clubs and societies you would like to join: anime

• Registered Users Posts: 5 FlashRenegade

wait..wrong forum

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 901 ✭✭✭xLisaBx

A bit late but hey, better late than never

Name: Zayn Foster
    Course: Networks and Web Design (St Johns)
    Interests: anime, hiking, cycling, creative writing, religion (Islam), Zelda, astronomy
    Clubs and societies you would like to join: anime
    I'm in abbeyville too!!

Advertisement