Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BIS UCC

• 25-08-2014 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am going into my first year of BIS in UCC and need to get a new laptop. Should I be looking for any special features on the laptop which I may require for future programming assignments?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

I’m currently going into third year BIS and I can tell you that a good laptop is very important. there is a lot of assignments in first year and , although they can all be done in the labs on campus , if you don’t want to spend all your time in college , i would recommend buying a quality laptop.
    my machine is a hp pavillion with i5 processor and it’s perfect. there will be large programs that you will have to install in order to complete projects and so the better the laptop, the easier it’ll be to run them and the faster it’ll take. personally , I wouldn’t go below an i5 processor but they can be pricey but definitely nothing below an i3. any amd processor or celeron just won’t cut it.
    i appreciate that a laptop is a big expense but , to be honest , its the most important thing you’ll own in college , so a decent laptop is worth the money in terms of saving yourself hassle and frustration , which is what a slow, not-so- powerful pc will lead to.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 AppleC

I’m currently going into third year BIS and I can tell you that a good laptop is very important. there is a lot of assignments in first year and , although they can all be done in the labs on campus , if you don’t want to spend all your time in college , i would recommend buying a quality laptop.
    my machine is a hp pavillion with i5 processor and it’s perfect. there will be large programs that you will have to install in order to complete projects and so the better the laptop, the easier it’ll be to run them and the faster it’ll take. personally , I wouldn’t go below an i5 processor but they can be pricey but definitely nothing below an i3. any amd processor or celeron just won’t cut it.
    i appreciate that a laptop is a big expense but , to be honest , its the most important thing you’ll own in college , so a decent laptop is worth the money in terms of saving yourself hassle and frustration , which is what a slow, not-so- powerful pc will lead to.

Thank you very much for your feedback! I found it very helpful:)

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Fudge dice

Hi, i just bought a HP envy today and only saw that the processor is
    AMD A10-5750M APU processor! Is it work keeping or should i exchange it considering is was 650

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭EoghanIRL

Fudge dice wrote: »
    AMD A10-5750M APU processor! Is it work keeping or should i exchange it considering is was 650

Hi,

The above poster said that amd won't cut it . This isn't true . Many amd chips are actually on par with Intel chips, some even perform better .
    It doesn't just come down to CPU . Can you post full specs ?

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-A-Series-A10-5750M-Notebook-Processor.92882.0.html

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭melted_face

Fudge dice wrote: »

Apologies for my phrasing in my previous post , I was being very general. the reality is that processor will do fine but , tbf, its one of only 2 max processors that AMD make that can actually compete with intel.

cant post links but heres some info: [w]ww.cpubenchmark[.]net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A10-5750M+APU

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭fear corcaigh

Have a look at this thread, pretty decent machine for good price.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/post/90298299

Advertisement