Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Detective show. Monk, Or Columbo?

• 22-04-2015 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Which is your favourite and why?

I'd say Monk is my favourite, but I haven't seen as many of Columbo. Columbo is a likeable character, and it can be interesting to watch him solve the crimes, and how the criminal underestimates him and thinks they have fooled him. Then Columbo gets\ them at the end\ with the.... Just one more thing !! etc

However, Monk has more to it. It's not just a detective show, it's comedy, and some drama. There is great chemistry with all the characters, and a lot more about Monks personal life. Not just him solving the case, like in Columbo. Also, in Monk it's not always known from the start who the killer is, so some episodes have an element of whodunnit. Which is not like it is in Columbo.\

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Haven't gotten around to watching Monk yet. Love me a bit of Columbo. It's so different from anything else, where it's not a "whodunit," but a "Gothca!."
    I'd say Monk is my favourite, but I haven't seen as many of Columbo. Columbo is a likeable character, and it can be interesting to watch him solve the crimes, and how the criminal underestimates him and thinks they have fooled him. Then Columbo gets\ them at the end\ with the.... Just one more thing !! etc

Just one thing, there was one that got away! :(

My favourite gotcha is a toss up between the cheese and the subliminal cuts. I also thought the one where the mafia assisted him was hilarious.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

I love the Columbo episode where he is on a cruise ship.
    Firstly, his wife is on the cruise with him, in a lot of scenes she has just turned around the corner and we always miss her! :D Great running gag.
    Actually, in one episode we do see a picture of his wife and you'll think "gotcha!", but it turns out he deliberately put up the wrong picture to fool the perp. Genius!
    The great thing about the cruise ship episode was, he had very little backup and had to basically bluff his way to get the killer to make a mistake.

Remember the episode where he had a bridge pillar excavated because he knew the killer would come back with the body? Gotta love Columbo.

Advertisement