Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Overdue Service

Options
  • 24-06-2014 9:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Car is 2010 A4 TDI with 82k miles on the clock. The last oil change was at 72k miles. It's next service (Which is due at 82k) I will be getting oil, air and fuel filters changed. I've a bit of a problem as my mechanic (Independent) cannot do it for another 2-3 weeks as he hurt himself and work and is out sick. My question is, Is how long should I go overdue the recommended service interval? The car is doing approx 300 miles per week.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

The correct answer is you should not exceed the service interval at all.

However don't worry about it-the car won't self combust. Plenty of Irish folk only service their car after the NCT every 2 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

Get the main dealer to do it . I thought there are loads of special offers on these services?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭sandydan

Moanin wrote: »
    Hi all,

Car is 2010 A4 TDI with 82k miles on the clock. The last oil change was at 72k miles. It's next service (Which is due at 82k) I will be getting oil, air and fuel filters changed. I've a bit of a problem as my mechanic (Independent) cannot do it for another 2-3 weeks as he hurt himself and work and is out sick. My question is, Is how long should I go overdue the recommended service interval? The car is doing approx 300 miles per week.

Thanks
    with amount of turbo and related problems in modern cars get a quote from main dealer or any dealership for that matter ,most advertise outside, of special offers in order to attract new business. i would specify in my car anyway that oil sump be drained as opposed to sucked out, the rest is straight-forward basic mechanic work. and consider if alternative cost to once off extra cost worth overdoing service mileage.1,000 miles over would be my absolute max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

Next question.....When should the timing belt be changed in this car. I'm just off the phone from an Independent and he said it's due now. As far as I know Audi say 120k kms (75k miles) or 4 years whichever comes first but VW say 180k kms (112k miles) or 4 years whichever comes first. Do both VW and Audi share the same engines? If so why different intervals?

Thanks

if you google Audi A4 timing belt change interval and go to honest john discussion. recommended mileage may vary if private motorist or commercial user
    4 years regardless of mileage is a definite service interval. to be honest id go with manufacturers guide and change around the recommended age and mileage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Moanin

sandydan wrote: »
    if you google Audi A4 timing belt change interval and go to honest john discussion. recommended mileage may vary if private motorist or commercial user
    4 years regardless of mileage is a definite service interval. to be honest id go with manufacturers guide and change around the recommended age and mileage.

Thanks I'm aware of the 4 year limit but whether or not your a 'private or commercial' motorist makes no sense to me. The car will be 4 years old in September with approx 86k miles on the clock so I will change it then. Independent garage quoted me €350 for belt change using genuine Audi parts while local VW Dealer quoted €399

maybe it's something to do with fleet service and their financial need to cover their own asses rather than mechanical reality, as far as im aware the milage recommendations vary from continent to continent, and owners are not satisfied in various countries and air their views accordingly.but i would be inclined to go with age of belt service though.i switched from vw to toyota a few years ago and ive found for myself they have their expensive problems too.:(

Advertisement