Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Guns N' Roses Discussion Thread

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,761 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I couldn't see them charging more than 100 euro for tickets if they played a stadium here, would 60,000 people be willing to pay 250 euro or some other crazy amount to see a kind of reunion, the fact that Rose is such a prissy c*nt is the main reason why I'd stay away from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭RVD420

Yawn.

Will we ever get to hear ChiDem2?

:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭thegreengoblin

Why? It's the best clearly the best official DVD they have released

Also new line up?? :D
    Apart from Axl on that release

Dizzy Reed (1990-)
    Tommy Stinson (1998-)
    Chris Pitman (1998-)
    Richard Fortus (2002-)
    Frank Ferrer (2006-)

Departed: DJ Ashba (2009-2015), Bumblefoot (2006-2014)

DJ Ashba aside these newbies have outlasted the key former members in the band their most known for

It's hardly a fair comparison is it? The 'newbies' spent most of their GNR career sitting around on their arses while their singer tried to get himself into the Guinness Book of Records for longest time to make a record.

It's not the amount of time someone spends in a band, it's what happens during that time and, good musicians and all as those lads may be, Guns N Roses hasn't existed as a band for a long time. They were hired hands, simple as that.

Regarding Axl going on late again, I think it's safe to say that given the amount of money that will be at stake for this tour, there will surely be some clause in the contract which will ensure that all that crap...the lateness, the hissy fits, etc.... is a thing of the past.

Axl has made an indirect reference to the reunion with his new year tweet!

https://twitter.com/axlrose/status/682813785233567744

• Registered Users Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭Bonzo Delaney

Came across this yesterday on a French gnr twitter site
    Taken last week apparently.
    Given the fact he's over 50
    Not a sports/ fitness freak cool fkr ( duff)
    Or has a top hat and mane of hair to hide behind ( slash)
    He looks ok
    Not 26 yr old fire cracker ok
    But 50+ year old American who loves Taco Bell ok

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

RVD420 wrote: »
    Yawn.

Will we ever get to hear ChiDem2?

:mad:

That ship has long sailed, Chi Dem 2 or whatever it is will remain in the vault indefinitely..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

It's hardly a fair comparison is it? The 'newbies' spent most of their GNR career sitting around on their arses while their singer tried to get himself into the Guinness Book of Records for longest time to make a record.

It's not the amount of time someone spends in a band, it's what happens during that time and, good musicians and all as those lads may be, Guns N Roses hasn't existed as a band for a long time. They were hired hands, simple as that.

Regarding Axl going on late again, I think it's safe to say that given the amount of money that will be at stake for this tour, there will surely be some clause in the contract which will ensure that all that crap...the lateness, the hissy fits, etc.... is a thing of the past.

Axl has made an indirect reference to the reunion with his new year tweet!

https://twitter.com/axlrose/status/682813785233567744

I was just responding to someone who referred to the "hired guns" as you put it to be "new members" which clearly they are not

You're right it is the output from those involved over the spaces of time that matters and clearly since Use Your Illusion there is no comparing line-ups at least you've acknowledged they are good musicians some people would lead you believe they couldn't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow.

One of the biggest things that's discussed time and again...

Sting doesn't tour as the Police
    Rodger Waters/Dave Gilmour as Pink Floyd
    Robert Plant as Led Zeppelin

Axl Rose...Ahem

It's worked for him though and in a sense Loaded were renamed Duff Mckagans Loaded and Slash keeps himself separate to the Conspirators title of his band.

Sure Slash/MK & Conspirators are a great band and given the choice I'd prob go see them over what Guns N Roses were at recently but one of the reasons people go see them compared to Slashs Snakepit is when they play live their sets are jammed with Guns N Roses material.

I was just responding to someone who referred to the "hired guns" as you put it to be "new members" which clearly they are not

You're right it is the output from those involved over the spaces of time that matters and clearly since Use Your Illusion there is no comparing line-ups at least you've acknowledged they are good musicians some people would lead you believe they couldn't carry a tune in a wheelbarrow.

One of the biggest things that's discussed time and again...

Sting doesn't tour as the Police
    Rodger Waters/Dave Gilmour as Pink Floyd
    Robert Plant as Led Zeppelin

Axl Rose...Ahem

It's worked for him though and in a sense Loaded were renamed Duff Mckagans Loaded and Slash keeps himself separate to the Conspirators title of his band.

Sure Slash/MK & Conspirators are a great band and given the choice I'd prob go see them over what Guns N Roses were at recently but one of the reasons people go see them compared to Slashs Snakepit is when they play live their sets are jammed with Guns N Roses material.

I think Slash and Duff basically had the GNR name stolen from them (at point blank range!) so they're more than entitled to do what they do. They were as much a part of the band as Axl, it's an awful shame how all that s*** happened in the end.

I mentioned this in here before but to me the most important thing is that these lads just become friends again...if we get a reunion thrown in as a bonus then even better!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,751 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I think Slash and Duff basically had the GNR name stolen from them (at point blank range!) so they're more than entitled to do what they do. They were as much a part of the band as Axl, it's an awful shame how all that s*** happened in the end.

I mentioned this in here before but to me the most important thing is that these lads just become friends again...if we get a reunion thrown in as a bonus then even better!

reunion for me first. that will affect our lifes more as we could get the chance to see them live. them being friends has no effect for me anyway but am happy they are friends again . a reunion will be great as it will end the full gnr history on a high but we still have to hear from axl about it all

Reunion & a goodbye album, then GN'R can rightfully die so to speak.

Lithium93_ wrote: »
    Reunion & a goodbye album, then GN'R can rightfully die so to speak.

True but to just be friends again and leave it at that would suck

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

scudzilla wrote: »
    Be great craic, especially if dickhead decides to go onstage at 1am then you'll have 70,000 people hitting the streets at 3am :pac::pac:

I can already hear the Croke Park residents complaining :P

PTH2009 wrote: »
    True but to just be friends again and leave it at that would suck

Yes it would suck, there wouldn't be any point in Axl & Slash burying the hatchet after 20 years of hating one another and then just being friends, the long suffering fans deserve a proper good bye from the band.

I was pessimistic about the reunion (even if it's not the proper classic line up), but now i'm actually kind of excited about it, that said HOPEFULLY it doesn't go pear shaped in hurry.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

I'm not convinced we would get an album. A lot of the original problem came from the recording side rather than the performing side. Axl was temperamental but that didn't really matter when you are touring almost constantly like the Illusion tour. In the studio, it becomes a massive problem. Unless they re-record stuff that has already been prepared, I wouldn't hold my breath on a new album. Another Greatest Hits is almost certain to happen though.

Personally I don't think a new album is needed and I'm glad axl and slash are back on speaking terms
    At the end of the day it doesn't affect our day to day lives anyway
    There's so much build up to the alleged reunion it could fall below peoples preceptions and expectations.
    I reckon there'd be a far better chance of getting the classic line together for only a handful of shows over the space of a year as can't see izzy getting on board for a full tour he sort of comes and goes as he pleases and can't see Steve been let loose on a tour for health and safety reasons at least with a date here and there tabs could be kept on him.
    If it is a full tour then it'll be just the three lads and izzy will pop in for a few guest appearances and Steve for a few token renditions of rocket queen/paradise city with Richard Fortus , Frank Ferra and Dizzy Reed standing in as the band.

gnfnrhead wrote: »
    I'm not convinced we would get an album. A lot of the original problem came from the recording side rather than the performing side. Axl was temperamental but that didn't really matter when you are touring almost constantly like the Illusion tour. In the studio, it becomes a massive problem. Unless they re-record stuff that has already been prepared, I wouldn't hold my breath on a new album. Another Greatest Hits is almost certain to happen though.

I think there clearly big issues arising from the touring side of things. Very few people would be able to hold it together when they are out on the road that long, so when you take someone like Axl it was a recipe for disaster. It was because of stuff like the St Louis incident and the no-shows and bad timekeeping that made Izzy quit in the end. I'm sure he felt he had been left unhappy anyway during the recording of UYI when Axl basically said he was going to record the songs the way he wanted to but the touring was the final straw.

I remember reading that Axl was having therapy for his psychological problems while he was actually in the middle of a tour! Imagine trying to deal with that. They were also clearly woefully mismanaged but then who could really manage a group like that? Certainly not a chancer like Doug Goldstein anyway.

Doug Goldstein, once he got close enough to Axl, that was the beginning of Axl becoming too big for his own boots, Alan Niven NEVER should have been fired..

Axl not even confirmed for Jimmy Kimmel.

Someone said it could just be to announce a new business partnership with slash not to do a tour.

Axl announcing retirement is another possibility

If all this reunion stuff Is denied I will cry like many other fans

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Axl not even confirmed for Jimmy Kimmel.

Someone said it could just be to announce a new business partnership with slash not to do a tour.

Axl announcing retirement is another possibility

If all this reunion stuff Is denied I will cry like many other fans

Suppose a lot of fans will also be crying if the reunion is true!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Roses Revolver?? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,478 ✭✭✭✭gnfnrhead

sugarman wrote: »
    Not interested unless its the original lineup, with the exception of Sorum for Adler.

Adler fits the band so much better than Sorum ever did. Have a feeling neither would be involved though.

If...if...that's the confirmed line-up then I'd be quite underwhelmed. Why would that even be considered a proper reunion? It would just be the latest version of the band albeit a far more exciting and 'real' version than any since the mid-90s. I know Duff has played on stage with Axl's band but hasn't Slash always been critical of what Axl had turned GNR into? I'm not sure if he's been directly critical of the other guys in the band, that's not his style.

Maybe Axl just laid down some conditions, one of which was that some of the current band are kept on. And as Bonzo said a few posts back, Izzy might turn up for a few shows here and there, maybe it will be a very fluid situation.

Maybe Slash and Duff just thought this will be the closest that the fans will ever get to a reunion and by the way how much did you say we're gonna be paid?! I just don't see any involvement for Steven whatsoever. And who knows, it could turn out to an amazing show that they put on.

But one thing's for sure....Axl needs to curtail his Taco Bell habit :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭RayK0309

Slash got sober and apologised for his part but yes of course the money helps. Things must have changed drastically. Izzy Stradlin did not like the huge arena shows. That and the late starts but it still amuses me that after 25 years some people are still shocked when they/he go on late. Why don't they print it on the ticket?!Doors open at 6pm. Main show starts anywhere from 9.30 to 11.30pm...For the sake of Axl's voice and our ears they should cut the show down to 1hr 45.

So axl will not be on Jimmy kimmel.

Starting to doubt this reunion thing now

So axl will not be on Jimmy kimmel.

Starting to doubt this reunion thing now

It's been confirmed THAT HE WILL be on Kimmel, where are you seeing that Axl won't be on the show?

It's been confirmed THAT HE WILL be on Kimmel, where are you seeing that Axl won't be on the show?

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/report-axl-rose-will-not-appear-on-jimmy-kimmel-live-tuesday-night/

Blabbermouth picking up something posted on MYGNR by someone ''connected'' with the band, please that place is full on loons..

• Registered Users Posts: 39,437 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Blabbermouth picking up something posted on MYGNR by someone ''connected'' with the band, please that place is full on loons..

His name was on the Jimmy kimmel site for Tuesday but it's gone now. So I don't know lithium I hope you're right But something has changed.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    His name was on the Jimmy kimmel site for Tuesday but it's gone now. So I don't know lithium I hope you're right But something has changed.

Common sense would hope that he pulled his appearance to get himself up to scratch, but then again Axl & common sense don't exactly go hand in hand now do they?

It's gonna be wait & see then.

• Advertisement

No reunion the last I heard. Announcement on night train forum

Advertisement