Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

6x9 speakers budget brands?

• 26-07-2015 6:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭

Thinking of replacing the 6x9's in the rear of the Saab 93 (the shelf speakers). One has started to sound like it's broken.

Before I start checking Halfords and other shops is there a certain brand I should consider?
    I'm not really upgrading, merely replacing them with something good budget job.

Not interested in adding an amp or anything.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,381 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You have a Saab?

Halfords are cheap enough on big name brands, although it's a while since I bought speakers.

Check you have clearance behind the grilles too as a lot will come with tweeters sticking out that mightn't fit behind stock grille.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Into The Blue

This is how it starts.......

Next thing you know, it'll be extra battery's just for the amps and a diesel alternator!

But for now, jbl 6x9s are good and cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

biko wrote: »
    Thinking of replacing the 6x9's in the rear of the Saab 93 (the shelf speakers). One has started to sound like it's broken.

Before I start checking Halfords and other shops is there a certain brand I should consider?
    I'm not really upgrading, merely replacing them with something good budget job.

Not interested in adding an amp or anything.

What power are the Original speakers? It's usually written on the bottom of the magnet. It's the nominal power, or RMS value That you will be looking for and not the max rating.

Try and get a speaker with an RMS rating that's as close as possible to that of the old speakers. This will give you the best results. Also make sure the speaker has a sensitivity rating of 90db or above if running off the head unit alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I went to Halfords and a factors but the speakers they carry doesn't fit the Saab (protruding tweeters). Glad I didn't order online.
    I'll call into a couple car audio places in town during the week and see if they have something.

Might just drive past a breakers and see if they have Saabs breaking.

Dunno which setup you have in your Saab, but some of the 93s have an odd setup in the rear speakers where the bass is filtered out. Some had an adaptor plate fitted where the 6*9 goes and a little round speaker in there instead

Had a Saab 93 from work for while in 09 and the speaker setup was dire. No door speakers just tiny little yokes high up in the dash. Think it was a linear sport model.

• Advertisement

I went to Halfords and a factors but the speakers they carry doesn't fit the Saab (protruding tweeters). Glad I didn't order online.
    I'll call into a couple car audio places in town during the week and see if they have something.

Might just drive past a breakers and see if they have Saabs breaking.

Halfords have vibe 6x8 speakers which come with 6x9 adapters. These speakers are designed to replace original speakers, they don't have protruding tweeters.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Do you have a link for those? The ones I tried before were the orange Edge.

Edit, these? http://www.halfords.ie/technology/car-audio/sound-systems/vibe-slick-69-2-6x9-co-axial-speakers

FLI FI69 6x9" might work.

Do you have a link for those? The ones I tried before were the orange Edge.

Edit, these? http://www.halfords.ie/technology/car-audio/sound-systems/vibe-slick-69-2-6x9-co-axial-speakers

FLI FI69 6x9" might work.

They are not on the website but they have them in store or if they haven't any they can order them in for you. They are from the same line as these

http://www.halfords.ie/technology/car-audio/sound-systems/vibe-6-16-5cm-replacement-speaker

Fli speakers would ideally need to be amped to get the best out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭bmstuff

I know you want cheap speakers but Vibe/Fli are utter crap though

JohnBoy26 wrote: »

Fli speakers would ideally need to be amped to get the best out of them.

Any speaker needs to be amped properly and according to specs really.
    It is like saying, your car needs petrol to run properly.
    My 2 cents

• Advertisement

Are there any cheap speakers that you'd recommend?

As in, would be as good as a crappy factory speaker like.

colm_mcm wrote: »

I don't have cheap speakers to recommend but adverts is full of 6x9 speakers
    http://www.adverts.ie/for-sale/q_6+x+9+speaker/

bmstuff wrote: »
    Any speaker needs to be amped properly and according to specs really.
    It is like saying, your car needs petrol to run properly.
    My 2 cents

True but for many running wires throughout the car up to the battery is just hassle. From reading the op's post it seems they just want an improvement from the original speakers.

That's why I said to keep the power ratings as close as possible to the original speakers as these were optimized to run off the head unit. A factory head unit will run a set of 30-45 watt RMS speakers without any issues. They will run even better with more power granted but they will still be fine on head unit power.

However those fli's and the like need a good amp to get any kind of decent sound out of them.

colm_mcm wrote: »

I fitted the halford's ones I mentioned in a post above. They are 6x8's but come with 6x9 adapters. They were €18 each(not sold in pairs) and fitted straight in with the adapters. I'm just running them off the head unit and they are fine. A definite improvement over the 17 year old speakers they replaced.

I'd invest in some good speaker wire and connections if purchasing though. The speaker wire they come with is poor.

Advertisement