Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christianity Forum.

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

hinault wrote: »
    It appears that within the Christianity forum there is a poster - with moderator privileges - advocating in favour of abortion.

Christianity holds that human life, all human life, is sacred.
    Therefore it is a contradiction that in a category of this site titled "Christianity",
    there is a moderator advocating for the deliberate destruction of human life.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/member.php?u=146852

A moderator is there to ensure debate doesn't turn to argument, nothing is stopping them from engaging in said debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,932 ✭✭✭hinault

Dav wrote: »
    Mods are there to keep the peace and clean up messes, they are not there to be advocates for and on behalf of the given topic of discussion.

The moderator in this instance is advocating for and on behalf of abortion however.

In a thread about Christianity.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,632 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The moderator in this instance is advocating for and on behalf of abortion however.

OK? Again, not all sects of Christianity inherently oppose abortion; at least, some people identifying as Christians will also debate in a pro-choice fashion. Similarly, you may encounter a homeosexual christian. Whats the problem? Just seems part of the debate - the fact the person is a moderator has nothing to do with that opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

It isn't a thread about christianity, it is a thread about the sanctity of life.

MrP

• Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

People are different. If there was only allowed to be Pro-Christian views posted in the forum & anything that is anti is banned, the usage of forum would end up spiraling. Boards needs diversity to ensure this does not happen.

This mod is entitled to his opinion on abortion, as long as that opinion does not influence moddly action it makes no difference.

You need opposing different opinions for a debate to continue.

Otherwise goes nowhere.

"abortion is wrong"

"Yes, it is"

"agree, with the both of you"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,402 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

It's not a thread about Christianity though it's a thread about abortion in the Christianity forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

It's not a thread about Christianity though it's a thread about abortion in the Christianity forum.
    And? Are you for example even aware of the 1400 clergymen who helped American women with illegal abortions before the Roe case? Or how about Catholics for choice who's president states:
    Jon O’Brien, a devout Catholic and president of Catholics for Choice, explained that Catholicism values the expertise of the faith’s great scholars, and that among them, Saint Augustine and Saint Aquinas did not consider a fetus in the earliest stages of pregnancy to be a person. The Catholic faith is rooted in emphasizing the importance of following one’s conscience, he said, and for some women that will mean choosing to terminate a pregnancy because that is what is best as they see it.

Being a Christian does not define you being for or against abortion in any way; or are you saying that only your version of Christianity and it's interpretation is suppose to be allowed?

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

MrPudding wrote: »
    It isn't a thread about christianity, it is a thread about the sanctity of life.

MrP

It's also the title of the thread, originally the topic was the pertaining to the videos released by a pro-life group regarding Planned Parenthood.

Until about post 106 (of 186 currently) , I had essentially stayed focussed on the topic of the videos. Discussing whether is was a hatchet job (due to editing of original video/ unproven claims of illegal sales of body parts) or actual investigative journalism.

Then discussion shifted to abortion in general, because a poster put it on pro-choice posters to defend their position. Which by hinaults complaint/reasoning, pro-choice posters should not be permitted to respond to.:confused:

And personally if it had been the case that modding the forum meant I would be censored/ expected to agree with some ambigious Christian view, then I'd not have accepted the position tbh. Some of the most robust discussions I've had have been in that forum and I'd rather not give that opportunity up.

As a final note, any time a poster has complained about my modding, I've always been quite quick to direct them to take their complaints to co-mods/CMods/Helpdesk etc. My priority is that the forum is active and relatively trouble-free. My mod tag doesn't come into that.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,402 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Nody wrote: »
    And? Are you for example even aware of the 1400 clergymen who helped American women with illegal abortions before the Roe case? Or how about Catholics for choice who's president states:

Being a Christian does not define you being for or against abortion in any way; or are you saying that only your version of Christianity and it's interpretation is suppose to be allowed?

What is my version of Christianity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

Yea, I think we're done with this particular issue, we're not interested in Feedback being used to carry on a debate from elsewhere.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement