Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

mackerel fishing

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

Was in howth today,not a bite.High winds and too much sand in the water,A pity as i had the day off!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

Ive just moved out to Skerries and hope to have a go around there. Anyone know decent spots. I remember catching a bag full with an uncle of mine off the pier but that was about 20 years ago, havnt done much sea fishing since. When is the best time, around high tide?

BlueBandit wrote: »
    Ive just moved out to Skerries and hope to have a go around there. Anyone know decent spots. I remember catching a bag full with an uncle of mine off the pier but that was about 20 years ago, havnt done much sea fishing since. When is the best time, around high tide?

The hour or so immediatly before and after high tide is good.If there's a lot of water though in the harbour it doesnt matter too much.

Good stuff, will give it a shot over the weekend so, are there usually a few fish to be had in the harbour in season. Any ideas what else can I hope to catch around there?. Have been coarse fishing for years and years but hoping to get into a bit of sea fishing this summer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭flanum

i lived in skerries 3 years ago, i used to catch them on the north beach (off quay street)just feathering. youd want a fair sized weight though as they do tend to be a bit out.
    theres a chance you could get a couple off the harbour wall (out towards sea) but its absolutely chokka with seals and fishing boats.

• Advertisement

Sound, will try around and see what I get. Keep you posted

• Registered Users Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

anybody know the best places to fish mackerel in galway and are they in yet? thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

When the macks are in in Skerries the only sport to be had is landing them before the seals pinch them off your line. It can be bedlam down there, particularly when the kids are around. Leads & hooks flying everywhere.

As flanum said the north beach can be quite good. You could also try Barnageera beach for flats, or any of the rock spots north of Skerries for pollack & the like.

The best times for macks from the harbour in Skerries would be, as Degsy said, an hour or so either side of high tide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 cdsa2008

leonh74 wrote: »
    will people leave comments when they start catching mackerel mainly around the south east region of the country other parts is well.i love goin out and spending a few hours out on the rocks enjoying the sport.all feedback appreciated

We wear around Arklow this month got a half box of mackerel.
    cdsa

Hill Billy wrote: »
    When the macks are in in Skerries the only sport to be had is landing them before the seals pinch them off your line. It can be bedlam down there, particularly when the kids are around. Leads & hooks flying everywhere.

As flanum said the north beach can be quite good. You could also try Barnageera beach for flats, or any of the rock spots north of Skerries for pollack & the like.

The best times for macks from the harbour in Skerries would be, as Degsy said, an hour or so either side of high tide.

Cheers Billy,
    looking forward to having a go over the weekend. have to see when the tides are. What is the best method for pollack and that off the rocks. Would I get them spinning a german sprat or the like. Real novice when it comes to sea fishing but eager to learn. Was thinking of joining a club, saw there was one in Balbriggan and another in Rush does anyone know how active they are, just looking to meet some people and see what works, nothing too serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40 coolagad

anyone catching anything around bray or greystones? or even off the rocks on bray head?

remember catching them in onion bags years ago in greystones harbour, big shoal nearly beached. must of been seal chasing them....

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

coolagad wrote: »
    big shoal nearly beached. must of been seal chasing them....

no.. they are just very stupid fish :D

• Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭learnerplates

I don't have any feathers, I've one spinner and a few hooks, also have a bottom weight thing (a weight with 3 hooks further up the line), any of these any good, there's also prawns in the freezer!

Was down at Nemos pier today seemed to be plenty of mackerel swimming about.

I don't have any feathers, I've one spinner and a few hooks, also have a bottom weight thing (a weight with 3 hooks further up the line), any of these any good, there's also prawns in the freezer!

Was down at Nemos pier today seemed to be plenty of mackerel swimming about.

Buy yourself some feathers,and a couple of floats too.

A gfew fish to be had in Skerries, but nothing too major. You should be able to get enough for super though if you can find room to cast.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Mackyboy

I was in Greennore yesterday, there were about 6 people fishing. I was talking to one chap, he had 3 mackerel between 1pm and 5pm (he was the only one to catch. So their slowly on their way in lads.

Anybody know how Clogherhead is doing

MB

A gfew fish to be had in Skerries, but nothing too major. You should be able to get enough for super though if you can find room to cast.:D
    You obviously caught a few after I left. Good meeting you man.

Was in howth yesterday,six fish caught the whole day.Had to leave because of headwreckers,tourists and scumbags.

I tried Nemo's Pier in Galway yesterday eve with a spinner, got a bite but no luck.
    There were about 10 of us there for about 2hrs and while I was there I saw at least 30 mackeral pulled out, all using feathers, you could see the shoals running about 20 yrds out, they're definitely in on the west, maybe it takes a while to make round to the east coast.

Degsy wrote: »
    Buy yourself some feathers,and a couple of floats too.

nowhere open yesterday that was my problem, feathers are the answer for sure.

• Advertisement

Hill Billy wrote: »
    You obviously caught a few after I left. Good meeting you man.

Likewise, didnt get any on Saturday but got down a bit earlier on sunday morning and had a few fish before the place got overrun. Getting manic off the pier there so many people, reckon Ill try my luck along the north strand this evening. Will let ous know how it goes anyway:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Any more luck in Howth?

feathers are the answer indeed:p now what to do with the mackeral!

feathers are the answer indeed:p now what to do with the mackeral!
    Eat them or put them back. Personally, I only catch what I or friends & family will eat (& a couple for bait).

World's Simplest Mackerel Recipe:
    Prepare the fish by removing head & guts, & rinse.
    Simmer in pot of water for 7/8 minutes.
    Serve with malt vinegar & white pepper.
    Delish!

Iam doing to try that Mackerel dish, it looks so easy, thanks HB
    is there lots of ways to cook mackerel, if so can someone send more reciepes

cheers
    MB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭SuperSean11

Mackyboy wrote: »
    Iam doing to try that Mackerel dish, it looks so easy, thanks HB
    is there lots of ways to cook mackerel, if so can someone send more reciepes

cheers
    MB

Heres loads of recipes
    http://www.cookitsimply.com/category-0020-0c102.html

Cheers for that website

MB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Gut it, clean it,throw it on the bbq, Nicest fish in the sea!

Hilly Billy,
    thanks for the website. I'll catch a few tomorrow and give them a go, they have to be cooked immediately I'd say as they smell like hell. Taste similar to cooked sardines I'd imagine, be nice grilled for sure.

The few I have in the freezer I hope to use s bait, I'm not sure how or for what yest, pike like them I know but I won't be freshwater fishing for a while. Any recommendations?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

They're great eating fish but annoyingly boney - they're a member of the Tuna family IIRC. Great way to do them is to fry them in yellow meal (as long as you don't mind stinking out your kitchen - you can either take a fillet off either side or cut the belly out of them.

In terms of catching them, experience points toward dark green feathers as being the single most effective lure. Black feathers are exceptional as well, but you bring up a load of pollack with them, especially rock pollock, which can get very annoying after a while. They will (and have gone) for bare hooks before - but always sand down or use fresh jigs as they don't go for rusty ones. (Someone here said white feathers? I find them great for codling, sometimes even Wrasse, but never mackerel)

Tbh, those hokai and 'deep sea' rigs are pretty useless, as are ragworm. I've caught maybe 3 mackerel off a spinner - If I'm casting using light gear off a pier or rocks I'll generally use a heavy sprat spoon in lieu of a weight - but would definitely not recommend them as your primary lure. A cheap set of feathers and you're flying - cut about half the feather off though, smaller feathers catch more fish.

A few things worth noting is the turn of the tides (esp in late evening during august) is when they tend to congregate near the head of piers, off rock outcroppings etc... Compared to a lot of other fish, they prefer shallower waters - about 3 metres I think - so if you're planning to stay in the same spot casting you'd do well to mark your line.

Another nice trick is to clip off the bail arm when you've one hooked. I use red line so I can approximate where the shoal is when he starts swimming back. I've often got five or six fish on a four hook jig as they get snagged and caught up in the line when the panicked fish swims back to join the shoal. Be careful though as you can often lose the original fish.

Gannets are great indicators, as are seals sitting out enjoying the fine evening :D Unfortunately, the little feckers are damn fast - more than once have I reeled up to find only half a mackerel, still flapping, and my weight gone.

Advertisement