Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband in tramore

2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Well we got Broadband now.. Some of the services aint great but its better then nothing!

- Sully

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

My mate is living up in Bara Glas(think thats what its called) and he has DSL since oct 04. He is currently with UTV and I can tell you that he is getting brilliant speeds.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Leonard wrote:
    My mate is living up in Bara Glas(think thats what its called) and he has DSL since oct 04. He is currently with UTV and I can tell you that he is getting brilliant speeds.

What speeds? UTV I use, pretty dodgy for me and there support has just got even more pathetic due to "staffing issues" - no wonder, most of the staff I speak to go on holidays every bloody week!

- Sully

Sully04 wrote:
    What speeds? UTV I use, pretty dodgy for me and there support has just got even more pathetic due to "staffing issues" - no wonder, most of the staff I speak to go on holidays every bloody week!

- Sully

Well there are two sites which I use for speed testing and both sites give out results of between 460 and 500kbps when ever i get him to run the tests. Here are the sites for you to try

http://www.pcpitstop.com/internet/default.asp

http://www.giganews.com/test_connect.html

Cheers :)

First one seems more reliable as I got different results on the secound one - tried both servers and on both the results where different!

- Sully

• Advertisement

Sully04 wrote:
    Cheers :)

First one seems more reliable as I got different results on the secound one - tried both servers and on both the results where different!

- Sully

That is because on the second site you were downloading from two different servers on that site. You will always get different results from different servers.

If you want to get an accurate reading, them download something from one of the big servers. Maybe try the microsoft website and that should give you a good indication.

What results did you achieve by the way

PCPitstop:-
    Download speed: 278 kilobits per second,
    Test details: 402 kilobytes downloaded in 11.547 seconds.
    Receive buffer size: Not available

Upload speed: undefined kilobits per second

GigaNews:-
    Server: news.giganews.com
    Test Size: 3131kb, Loaded: 100%, Time Elapsed: 61.6s.
    Connection Speed: 415kb/s

Server: news-europe.giganews.com
    Test Size: 3131kb, Loaded: 100%, Time Elapsed: 61.4s
    Connection Speed 417 kb/s

Different results then yesterday actually. Weird.

- Sully

Advertisement