Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

UPC Cisco EPC3925: Enabling True Bridge Mode - A Simple How-to Guide

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Another person posted similar issues and he too was using DD-WRT. It's advisable that you flash your router back to stock and see if it improves.

Finally got around to flashing back to stock and you were right! Seems DDWRT has something limiting the connection.

Nice one mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Excellent! It's cool that it's not the actual router or your configuration that caused the slowdowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭VeVeX

I recently to upgrade my upc connection to 100mb and having read threads here regarding the wireless performance of the EPC3925 I bought an Asus RT-N66U to use as my wireless router with a view to bridging the EPC.

My bridge method: Ive disabled the wireless radio and set the EPC to bridge mode. No HTML editing required as bridge mode enabled by default. I have connected the Asus router to the #1 ethernet connection on the EPC.

When I run a wireless speed test on the EPC in its out of the box configuration I get ~70mbps. But when I have the EPC bridged with the Asus connected and run a speed test in either wired or wireless with the Asus router I'm only getting ~40mbps.

To investigate a bit further and take my equipment out of the equation I went over to the folks house this afternoon as they also recently upgraded to 50mb and also recieved an EPC3925. It exhibits similar symptoms. In a wired speed test it got ~53mbps. In a wireless test I got ~37mbps but in bridged mode with my old Linksys WRT160N I got ~16mbps.

Any ideas?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

What wifi card are you using? Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware for the asus?

Also have you checked to see what other wifi networks are around you?

I realise these factors wouldn't explain the Ethernet performance.

Have you tried different Ethernet cables?

I have the Asus and using it with the n53 wifi dingle have comfortably got over 100mb.

dub45 wrote: »
    What wifi card are you using? Have you checked to see if you have the latest firmware for the asus?

Also have you checked to see what other wifi networks are around you?

I realise these factors wouldn't explain the Ethernet performance.

Have you tried different Ethernet cables?

I have the Asus and using it with the n53 wifi dingle have comfortably got over 100mb.

Yes the N66 is on the latest firmware. Ive been testing my own setup via ethernet cable.

I'll have a go with other cables and see if theres any difference.

• Advertisement

The problem was in fact the Ethernet cable supplied by UPC.

Issue solved anyway, thanks dub45 for the suggestions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Hi
    I have my Cisco bridged successfully with a TP Link 841N.
    The only problem I have now is I can't view my home network through DLNA VIA MY LG TV.
    I had it working perfect just with the Cisco 3925.
    I have a Ethernet cable direct from back of TV into an Ethernet switch .
    Anyone any ideas? As I said it was working perfect before I bridged.
    The TV days its connected to the internet through wired connection but can't see anything.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Deanicus

iggy wrote: »
    Hi
    I have my Cisco bridged successfully with a TP Link 841N.
    The only problem I have now is I can't view my home network through DLNA VIA MY LG TV.
    I had it working perfect just with the Cisco 3925.
    I have a Ethernet cable direct from back of TV into an Ethernet switch .
    Anyone any ideas? As I said it was working perfect before I bridged.
    The TV days its connected to the internet through wired connection but can't see anything.
    Thanks

Hi Iggy,

Is your TV still connected to the EPC or to the TP Link? If it is connected to the EPC you are connected, non-filtered, to the internet directly and are not on your network

If you are connected to the TP Link then double check your TV is connected on the same domain range e.g. if the TP Link address range is 192.168.1.x make sure the TV is connected in that range e.g. 192.168.1.10. If the TV had a static IP address with the EPC it might have been a different range than the TP Link and therefore cannot see anything connected to the TP Link

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

Guys - looks like I am failing at the first hurdle :o

What's the username and password to get access to the EPC3925? I'm conecting to http://192.168.1.1/

Thanks

The default is nothing. Leave the fields blank. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Barack Obama

The default is nothing. Leave the fields blank. :)

Ah, FFS :o

Thanks mate :)

Not a problem. I had to look that one up when I first got it, I didn't think to leave them blank either.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,316 ✭✭✭gavmcg92

I've lost the landline within the last week or so. Not sure if it's related to bridging or not but did anyone get this problem a couple of weeks after they bridged? Going to try revert it and bridge again to see if I get the functionality back.

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    I've lost the landline within the last week or so. Not sure if it's related to bridging or not but did anyone get this problem a couple of weeks after they bridged? Going to try revert it and bridge again to see if I get the functionality back.
    Let us know how it goes? I got rid of my cordless phone, no use for it, but while I did have it, I didn't notice any problems.

Let us know how it goes? I got rid of my cordless phone, no use for it, but while I did have it, I didn't notice any problems.

Yeah have no need for it myself either.

Back working there last night. Did a couple of resets and it seemed to start working again. No need to get out of bridge mode. Not entirely sure why it didn't work after my initial reset. Ah well...

gavmcg92 wrote: »
    Yeah have no need for it myself either.

Back working there last night. Did a couple of resets and it seemed to start working again. No need to get out of bridge mode. Not entirely sure why it didn't work after my initial reset. Ah well...
    It might have been screwed on their end and maybe even if the EPC was in Router mode it wouldn't have mattered?

It might have been screwed on their end and maybe even if the EPC was in Router mode it wouldn't have mattered?

Yeah, that might be it. Other than that, no complaints.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭e-Mo0?

Having a strange problem, got a tp link tl-wdr3600. I've set the EPC to bridge mode, disabled wireless etc. Connected to the TPlink wirelessly with Macbook and I have internet but the router IP is set to 89.100.194.1 and I cant access it, unless I RR the router at which point I get the 192.168.0.1 address which I can access but I have no internet. Then if I rr the laptop I get the old IP address and get the internet back....

Where have I gone wrong??

Thanks

edit - seems to be a problem with the laptop, any ideas?

Is the TP-Link set to bridge also? Make sure it isn't and you basically use it as a regular cable router.

Is the TP-Link set to bridge also? Make sure it isn't and you basically use it as a regular cable router.

Its not set to bridge, its giving a error "WAN port is unplugged!"

If I renew DHCP lease on my mac it randomly switches between the two IP's.
    I only have one laptop at the moment but it seems to be effecting the roku box in the same way

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

Anyone know what the latest firmware is?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,418 ✭✭✭✭Alun

e-Mo0? wrote: »
    Its not set to bridge, its giving a error "WAN port is unplugged!"

If I renew DHCP lease on my mac it randomly switches between the two IP's.
    I only have one laptop at the moment but it seems to be effecting the roku box in the same way

Thanks
    Sounds like you have the EPC3925 connected to one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port which is where it's supposed to be.

Alun wrote: »
    Sounds like you have the EPC3925 connected to one of the LAN ports instead of the WAN port which is where it's supposed to be.
    It could be that. Is the cable connected to the blue "Internet" port on the TP-Link?

Alun wrote: »

Ooops, spot on! All sorted.

e-Mo0? wrote: »
    Ooops, spot on! All sorted.
    Nice one! Glad it wasn't something too arduous.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Newbie question - I want to connect a Netgear box (WNR3500v2) to my UPC Cisco 3925 as an extender. I've gone through what I understand are the necessary steps to set up the two boxes to talk to each other,(including defining fixed ip addresses and the correct mac addresses, but cant connect to the internet via the repeater - do I need to enable this True Bridge mode? I'm not really sure what this is all about :confused:

You don't need any fixed IP addresses or an allowance for a specific MAC address. You set the EPC3925 into Bridge mode (turn off the EPC's Wireless) and the Netgear to "Get [the IP] Dynamically from ISP." Also you need not enable any repeater (WDS) functions in either device. It should work right off from there and give you greater performance overall, rather than degrade it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

You don't need any fixed IP addresses or an allowance for a specific MAC address. You set the EPC3925 into Bridge mode (turn off the EPC's Wireless) and the Netgear to "Get [the IP] Dynamically from ISP." Also you need not enable any repeater (WDS) functions in either device. It should work right off from there and give you greater performance overall, rather than degrade it.

But I want to use the netgear box as an extender, not to replace the wireless on the cisco box - I want to place it some distance from the cisco box and connect the two wirelessly

Even more confused now! I guess I'll have to read through all this thread..

I was following this guys instructions (as closely as possible, given that it was for two netgear boxes)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw8qaomfcTg

Well I guess you could do that. You can use the Repeater/WDS settings but that often only works on WEP encryption types and you'd lose performance as a result, in addition. You'd have to keep the EPC in Router mode for this to work.

You could also use the Netgear as an AP (Access Point) which isn't as complicated. This might be the best course of action. Again the EPC needs to be in Router mode.

http://www.speedguide.net/articles/how-to-set-a-wireless-router-as-an-access-point-2556

• Advertisement

Was checking out the horizon.tv service that UPC are offering. Getting a message telling me that I need to be connected to my UPC broadband service. Do you think this is due to the fact that I'm now going through my own router using the bridge feature?

Advertisement