Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

8lbs+ pike in Stephens Green!!!

• 08-01-2009 6:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭

Not sure if anyone is going to believe me about this but anyway...

Was walking through the green today at around half ten and it was completely iced over, except for a few spots under the trees.

Anyway, I was walking along the path (the one that goes from the main entrance to the bridge) and I was looking at the ice (as you do), the water was surprisingly clear, I reckon the ice didn't thaw out yesterday so all the gunk settled.

I couldn't believe what i was seeing but there was a huge, I reckon it was around 1m+/- pike "patrolling" the edge of the pond.

I was pretty shocked by this, like, Ive always wondered if a fish could survive in there but never thought anything this big could.

Anyway, hope ye believe me!

Liamo

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I wouldn't be too surprised, I've seen some fry swimming around in there and some proper fish, although I couldn't tell what they are. I'd imagine there's no fishing allowed so a few pike would have free reign over the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Hi, first post here. I'd heard about ducklings disappearing with a big splash and suspected pike were the culprit but this is the first time I've heard of anyone actually seeing one! Amazing. How many big pike could the pond in the Green support?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Im going to pop down with the fish finder and throw a few mackerel to see if anything pops, Ill let you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭Doc Farrell

the question is, how did he get in there? also, someone mentioned fry?

any news cormdogg?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

I'd say the green-keepers would have put them in, I'd imagine that anyone in that line of work would enjoy keeping a few fish in there. Thinking about it more I'm pretty sure the signs by the entrances say there's no fishing allowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭premiercad

I walk past that lake every morning! Never seen a Pike but any fish that could survive in there would be King! Ive seen pike taking fowl before so theres plenty for the menu there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Cormdogg

Had the day off work yesterday so decided to investigate the pond monster.
    Brought my Polaroid's and did a full lap of the pond looking for any fish at all. Stopped at any "fishy" areas etc. No trout, no fry of any sort and no pike but that's not to say it isn't there. No joy with the fish finder because of all the ducks etc and the waters so shallow. I couldn't really see how that pond would sustain fish life as the water is stagnant and lifeless. Not even algae but it is winter, perhaps in spring when the fly hatches begin there could be trout. Next step was to talk to the parkys. I asked the parky was there any fish? and he straight away told me there was pike in there. He said he had seen two of them. "Big Fellahs". As for the question as to how they get into the pond. The water in the pond comes from the canal and the perky reckoned the pike come in and out through the pipes! So if you were to dredge the whole pond there might be no pike. And unfortunately there's no particular spot that the pike are seen. So they probably are patrolling around. He said he knew of no other fish being seen in the pond but I'm sure they could come in and out in the same way. I asked him what he thought they were eating but he wasn't sure, Id guess myself duckling, rats and frogs

If somebody had an interest in Nature photography, if they set up some oily mackerel in front of a camera for long enough when the weathers warmer, a pike in the city would surely be an award winner!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭bitemybanger

wrote:

a pike in the city would surely be an award winner!

I used to catch lots of pike in the canal basin in the center of the city, a few decent ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,877 ✭✭✭liamo333

stevenmu wrote: »
    I'd say the green-keepers would have put them in, I'd imagine that anyone in that line of work would enjoy keeping a few fish in there. Thinking about it more I'm pretty sure the signs by the entrances say there's no fishing allowed.

Had a look at the rules on the bridge and theres no mention of no fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

There were ~1m mirror carp in the pond in ranelagh park as well - though fishing is definitely banned there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement