Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stale Stand Up Jokes/Routines

• 07-03-2012 12:40pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭

What jokes or humour to you feel are stale or ' beneath amateur' in the stand up circuit in Ireland?

I dont know whether its age but I often glaze over when comedians talk about sex unless there is something unique about it. However the dirty they go the less funny I find it.

I also find religious humour as easy target stuff too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭Mickolution

Agree on both of those, tbh. Both can be funny or course and I've seen great routines on both subjects, but both are usually very lazy. Doing jokes about sex is just going for shock value at times, whereas religion is just reinforcing your audience's smugness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

References to rohypnol.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,820 ✭✭✭grames_bond

The difference between men and women!

Talking to the audience. It can be good, but usually it's just lame stereotypes about nationalities or occupations. I do like the take off of it in the last scene of Seinfeld when he's doing a show in prison, though. "Anyone here from block b" "Yes" "I'll talk slower" "I'll cut you" or something like that. Makes it that it's Larry David's voice responding, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,716 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

When I used live in Sligo, I was a regular visitor to the Model Arts monthly comedy nights. John Colleary was the MC back then and I swear every night his routine was based around the (less than convenient) Dublin-Sligo train service.
    The visiting comedians would comment on this also as they usually shared the train with John earlier on in the day heading West from Dublin.

It drove me mad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Talking to the audience. It can be good, but usually it's just lame stereotypes about nationalities or occupations. I do like the take off of it in the last scene of Seinfeld when he's doing a show in prison, though. "Anyone here from block b" "Yes" "I'll talk slower" "I'll cut you" or something like that. Makes it that it's Larry David's voice responding, too.

This is an interesting point, ive seen it done hilariously and not so hilariously but most of the time it falls into the not so hilariously vein, mainly because the comedian tries to rip the pi$$ out of the individual assuming its funny. Also most people are afraid of attention so it can be often very boring.

When i saw Dara O'Brian he spent one half of his show doing audience interaction. I was bored to tears with it. He made up for it though in the second half with his own material which was fantastic but that first half was painful.

My problem with it is that it's usually just the same old stuff again. "ohh, you work in computers, you must be a nerd" or "ohh, you're american, i'll talk slower." Really boring stuff. Might be just me, but what I like from a stand-up is a really well honed routine that works really well on it's own merits.

On the Amercan point, I used to hate it a few years back when it was really fashionable to be anti-american and every other comedian was doing awful George Bush jokes. I don't have very strong feelings one way or the other on the topic, but it comedians were just shooting fish in a barrel with it, as with it being fashionable, people would laugh at it despite it being the same old stuff over and over.

As every comedian knows though, just because people laugh doesn't mean it's funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

As every comedian knows though, just because people laugh doesn't mean it's funny.

That would explain Dane Cook so. I never understood his popularity.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Galvasean wrote: »
    That would explain Dane Cook so. I never understood his popularity.

fratboy humour, now I like some of his routines and he has some genuinely funny jokes, but the audience is painful with their constant whooping and screaming, watch his madison square garden show for a perfect example.

female comedians and period/men being crap jokes. yawn, new material please, theres a handful of women who are funny, Tina Fey, Janeane Garofolo (too reliant on I'm a woman and old now jokes though) but too many rely on the same old jokes.

• Advertisement

True. The amount of awful stuff I've seen get a laugh. I think people just go to shows sometimes determined to find whatever the comedian says funny and just laugh at anything like it's a preset or something. Though it may just be differing tastes.

If there are people like that, they probably enjoy comedy gigs a lot more than me though, so who am I to have a go? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭James T Kirk

The "me and me mates woz 'on the piss'" anecdotes, I find boring, lazy, and incredibly unimaginative.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

As said previously, jokes on national identity just don't work anymore. Cultures are so much more diverse than years gone by and the stereotypical "jokes" just aren't funny.

Especially when comedians bring up England/Ireland stuff, it's just lazy humour as they're always be idiots in the crowd whooping for pro-Ireland or anti-England regardless of where in Ireland you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

You're all talking pompous shite. If something is funny it's funny, regardless of the subject. Look at Dylan Moran, best comedian in the country and he still does loads of men v women stuff. What you have here is a bunch of amateurs who have convinced themselves that the reason they arent more successful is because they're too high brow and people just dont get them. Get over yourselves.

What you have here is a bunch of amateurs who have convinced themselves that the reason they arent more successful is because they're too high brow and people just dont get them.

You're reading an awful lot into this thread.

Every subject can be comedy gold in the right hands. However there are always some overdone topics that when you hear a comedian bring them up at an open mic your inner critic immediately thinks, "This is going to be boring."

I'm guilty of it myself but I actively try to stay away from topics that I hear being covered an awful lot for that reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nadadine

I can't stand Irish comedians who only make jokes about Irishness and Irish things that aren't even close to being inherently Irish. It can be great, but when a comedian overdoes it I have to wonder if there's anything else to them.

Same goes for female comedians who only relate to their female audience.

Advertisement