Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

M17/M18 - Gort to Tuam [open to traffic]

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

If you drive from Kinnegad to Galway, you will notice that the section from Kinegad to Athlone is of a lower standard than the section (tolled) from Athlone to Galway. Clearly the newer section was significantly dearer. It is also nearly empty most of the time that I have been on it. (By that I mean no car in the rear-view mirror and none in sight ahead.

To me (and I am no expert) the difference between motorway and DC is that the rate of climb and turn is much reduced by cuttings and embankments and the number of junctions are reduced, with less allowance for hard shoulder, and less land taken. Clearly, on that basis, DC is significantly cheaper. The reduction in junctions aids the collection of tolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Some of the recent comments here suggest we are not worthy here in this part of the world (North Galway / Mayo) to any future-proofed infrastructure, which I might add might bring about some balanced regional economic development. The attitude that hey, sure DC is enough down those parts is a seriously short-sighted approach to infrastructure in Ireland. I believe that there should be a full inter-urban motorway network, continuing on up to Sligo at the very least and of course connecting Limerick and Cork. Can't we all just demand the very best for ourselves as citizens of this country and leave an infrastructural legacy to the next generation where economic growth is not limited to just the main urban centres in the east and south. I find it insulting this has come up again for discussion; the planning for this goes back well over a decade and commenting that a motorway isn't needed north of Gort adds nothing to the debate now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If you drive from Kinnegad to Galway, you will notice that the section from Kinegad to Athlone is of a lower standard than the section (tolled) from Athlone to Galway. Clearly the newer section was significantly dearer. It is also nearly empty most of the time that I have been on it. (By that I mean no car in the rear-view mirror and none in sight ahead.

To me (and I am no expert) the difference between motorway and DC is that the rate of climb and turn is much reduced by cuttings and embankments and the number of junctions are reduced, with less allowance for hard shoulder, and less land taken. Clearly, on that basis, DC is significantly cheaper. The reduction in junctions aids the collection of tolls.

The only difference between Type 1 DC and motorway is the colour of the signs, the slightly different road markings and the speed limit. The Athlone bypass is a standard of road that is no longer built. The other alternative is 2+2.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

If you drive from Kinnegad to Galway, you will notice that the section from Kinegad to Athlone is of a lower standard than the section (tolled) from Athlone to Galway. Clearly the newer section was significantly dearer.
    There are 2 difference schemes from Athlone to Galway, and only one section of one scheme is tolled. Do you reckon this was cheaper than this

The difference between Motorway and Dual carriageway is blue signs, and no cyclists allowed....
    There's sections of Motorway with no hard shoulder, and tight bends.
    Much of the Motorway network was designed as DC and converted ( by those blue signs) later

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

jenningso wrote: »
    Some of the recent comments here suggest we are not worthy here in this part of the world (North Galway / Mayo) to any future-proofed infrastructure, which I might add might bring about some balanced regional economic development. The attitude that hey, sure DC is enough down those parts is a seriously short-sighted approach to infrastructure in Ireland. I believe that there should be a full inter-urban motorway network, continuing on up to Sligo at the very least and of course connecting Limerick and Cork. Can't we all just demand the very best for ourselves as citizens of this country and leave an infrastructural legacy to the next generation where economic growth is not limited to just the main urban centres in the east and south. I find it insulting this has come up again for discussion; the planning for this goes back well over a decade and commenting that a motorway isn't needed north of Gort adds nothing to the debate now.

Look, if you live in a small village, you do not expect wide major roads - country lanes are OK. Sligo has a population of 20,000 so why does it need even a dual carriageway for access? Gort has a population of 9,000, Tuam population 5,500 yet there is a motorway being built between them.

On the otherhand, Cork has a population of 120,000 and Limerick has a population of 95,000 and has no motorway connection between them and none scheduled to be built.

Linking towns of 20,000 population with towns of 9,000 and 5,500 hardly rates in the scheme of things in comparison with the M20 linking cities with populations of 100,000 or so each and the towns in between. Dublin requires public transport to ease the gridlock, but the gridlock in Claregalway (population 562) will soon be solved with the new M17.

Next you will expect Luas trams and underground Metros in Sligo to help with industrial development in the west.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

There are 2 difference schemes from Athlone to Galway, and only one section of one scheme is tolled. Do you reckon this was cheaper than this

The difference between Motorway and Dual carriageway is blue signs, and no cyclists allowed....
    There's sections of Motorway with no hard shoulder, and tight bends.
    Much of the Motorway network was designed as DC and converted ( by those blue signs) later
    Don't forget the L drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

and the mopeds, certain tractors, etc etc

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Look, if you live in a small village, you do not expect wide major roads - country lanes are OK. Sligo has a population of 20,000 so why does it need even a dual carriageway for access? Gort has a population of 9,000, Tuam population 5,500 yet there is a motorway being built between them.

On the otherhand, Cork has a population of 120,000 and Limerick has a population of 95,000 and has no motorway connection between them and none scheduled to be built.

Linking towns of 20,000 population with towns of 9,000 and 5,500 hardly rates in the scheme of things in comparison with the M20 linking cities with populations of 100,000 or so each and the towns in between. Dublin requires public transport to ease the gridlock, but the gridlock in Claregalway (population 562) will soon be solved with the new M17.

Next you will expect Luas trams and underground Metros in Sligo to help with industrial development in the west.

The M18 section isn't linking Gort to Tuam, it's the final piece of the link between Limerick and Galway.

The M18 section isn't linking Gort to Tuam, it's the final piece of the link between Limerick and Galway.

The M18 is the motorway between Gort and the M6, linking to Galway. The M17 goes from the M6 to Tuan and in my opinion should have a much lower priority than many other road projects and significantly lower than PT projects in Dublin - like DU, MN, and the Clongriffin/Airport link.

Whatever the justification for the M18, I do not think the M17 has any - a decent Claregalway bypss was what was needed. Also, Galway is due to get (another) bypass - this time an outer one. If they did the first one properly, they would not need the second one.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭LFC Murphy

I have been following this thread since day one. I still check back to see progress of this road as I have since moved away from north Galway.

Can you please set up a new thread if you want to debate the pros & cons and keep this thread on the progress of the M17.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Geogregor

Anyway, the road is getting build.

What is the point of all this discussion???

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭jenningso

Also, Galway is due to get (another) bypass - this time an outer one. If they did the first one properly, they would not need the second one.

My point exactly! Do the first one properly!

I'm glad I don't have to argue with you as the M17/M18 is a reality and you're wasting energy moaning about it now :pac:

jenningso wrote: »
    My point exactly! Do the first one properly!

I'm glad I don't have to argue with you as the M17/M18 is a reality and you're wasting energy moaning about it now :pac:

I am not moaning about the M17/M18, only that it should have followed the building of the M20 Cork to Limerick. I live in Dublin so neither road will affect me much but in the last year I have tried to drive from Limerick and could not believe the traffic snarl up in Adare, Newcastle West, etc.

However, I am affected by the lack of DU, MN, and the lack of rail connection to the airport- along with many many others. The Aircoach bus is great except for the traffic snarl up it has to put up with, and consequently, it is unreliable - always late in busy traffic times, and sometimes not turning up at all. A rail connection - either MN or Clongriffin spur would be quick and reliable and also predictable - which is what is needed when catching a plane.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,341 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

I am not moaning about the M17/M18, only that it should have followed the building of the M20 Cork to Limerick. I live in Dublin so neither road will affect me much but in the last year I have tried to drive from Limerick and could not believe the traffic snarl up in Adare, Newcastle West, etc.

However, I am affected by the lack of DU, MN, and the lack of rail connection to the airport- along with many many others. The Aircoach bus is great except for the traffic snarl up it has to put up with, and consequently, it is unreliable - always late in busy traffic times, and sometimes not turning up at all. A rail connection - either MN or Clongriffin spur would be quick and reliable and also predictable - which is what is needed when catching a plane.

Adare and Newcastle are on the N21, which is becoming disgraceful for traffic

marno21 wrote: »
    Adare and Newcastle are on the N21, which is becoming disgraceful for traffic

Sorry mate this forum is on the m17/m18

sonnyblack wrote: »
    How many more flyovers remain to be completed on M17?. That would be a good milestone.

There are five more to be completed

From drilling ripping blasting to tarmac and flyovers here's the m17/m18 over the past 16 months just click on the linkhttp://goo.gl/photos/TfvJLBjmo9Frr8obA

• Registered Users Posts: 31,815 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

The M18 is the motorway between Gort and the M6, linking to Galway. The M17 goes from the M6 to Tuan and in my opinion should have a much lower priority than many other road projects and significantly lower than PT projects in Dublin - like DU, MN, and the Clongriffin/Airport link.

Whatever the justification for the M18, I do not think the M17 has any - a decent Claregalway bypss was what was needed. Also, Galway is due to get (another) bypass - this time an outer one. If they did the first one properly, they would not need the second one.

And then a separate Tuam by pass would have to be done as Tuam is chronic. This addresses both.

Mars Bar wrote: »
    And then a separate Tuam by pass would have to be done as Tuam is chronic. This addresses both.

At what cost? M17 vs Claregalway bypass and Tuam bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,095 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Why exactly? EVERY other motorway thread contains all elements of the discussion.

• Advertisement

Mod: I am guilty of taking the thread of topic - sorry.

This thread is just for M17/M18 progress.

Discussion on the topic of Motorway project selection can/will continue in another thread.

The townland of ballybanagher corofin pic1 22/04/15 pic2 22/05/16

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭westtip

m17 wrote: »
    The townland of ballybanagher corofin pic1 22/04/15 pic2 22/05/16

west on track must hate all this progress, What speed will the x51 do on this motorway?

How fast will bus journies from Tuam to Galway become?

And will folk from South Mayo find it quicker to nip down and across rather than suffer the N5 when travelling to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 18,381 ✭✭✭✭kippy

westtip wrote: »
    west on track must hate all this progress, What speed will the x51 do on this motorway?

How fast will bus journies from Tuam to Galway become?

And will folk from South Mayo find it quicker to nip down and across rather than suffer the N5 when travelling to Dublin

It will be interesting to see what, if any effect, this will have on traffic that currently comes from Tuam and surrounding areas into the city via the N17 at peak times.
    If you were to change your journey to go on the M17, you end up having to come in the M6 and the side of town that a whole heap of other traffic is also coming in on....
    You might decide to use the "N17" as you currently do and assume there will be less traffic on it.......
    Or make any number of variations of the available paths.

This motorway and the Tuam bypass open up a lot of options for those in south east and Mayo in general to get to Dublin.
    For example, without the M17, google maps advises to go via Galway and the M6 to get to Dublin as opposed to heading via the N5.

The m17 form annagh hill to cloontooa over 10.5kms all pics are looking towards tuam just click on the linkhttp://goo.gl/photos/Vo1ZmkqdWp4yovYN7

Ripping drilling blasting to tramac around corofin over the past 12 months video about 2minshttp://goo.gl/photos/6X9ig2EgLr6eJXtx5

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Taytomal

Is Coldwood overpass due to open this week, or has it been delayed?

Taytomal wrote: »
    Is Coldwood overpass due to open this week, or has it been delayed?

It's been delayed,I have never seen a flyover to take so long to open

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭wintear

Could Lagan be holding off completion because they have to pay sub contractors a lump when this is done?

• Advertisement

Ballybanagher corofin southbound lane of the m17 getting frist layer of tarmac 24/05/16

Advertisement