Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Feeding a Puppy?

• 15-01-2009 8:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭

I got a puppy recently and I was recommended to get Burns mini bites for him. The puppy weighs about 3kg and the recommended daily feeding amount is about 80g.
    I measure the amount out first thing in the morning and I give this to him over the course of the day, but he is always hungry and always wants more. Even though they say this is the amount to feed them, do you think it is enough for him. He eats it like he is really starving and always wants more, and I can't help thinking if I should give him a bit extra. Any advice would help.
    Below is a pic of the guideline that was on the packet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Bluefrog

Well my 2 cent is I would tend to trust the guidelines. If they were incorrect I don't think the brand would last too long. My two will eat as much as they're given and spend a few minutes after sniffing round for more. The pup does gobble it down like he's being timed yet he's still putting on weight, which in my case is great cause he came to me with worms and was very on the thin side. However, in your case the last thing you want to do is establish bad eating habits with your dog - getting weight off as an adult won't be so easy as exercising a bit of discipline now.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

I was just a bit worried that he wasn't getting enough but he must be as he is full of energy - too much, lol.
    The guidelines must be alright even if the pup still seems hungry.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

While I agree with bluefrog to an extent, this guideline is just that, a guideline. It will also depend on his activity level, you could probably give a bit more without any harm. But like bluefrog said, a pup will eat and eat until he gets sick. (having had cats for years I was disgusted by this at first :D) If he starts to put on too much weight you could cut back again.

My pup, who has a bit of a weak stomach due to an illness he had when younger, gets a pigs ear to chew on for about ten mins a day(time rec by vet), so he gets his recommended amount, some of which is used in training, and he has his chew as well, so even though he's still "eating" it's not a lot more than he should be getting and it seems to satisify him.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

The majority of young puppies are always hungry and many will stuff their faces and don't know when to stop, I found the Burns measuring system pretty good it doesn't seem like a lot of food when you break it down but it's packed full of everthing the dog needs.
    Also obviously make sure the puppy is being wormed regularly but in general puppies are right little piggies.

Luckily for me, they use most of it up on eachother...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭Senor Willy

What type of Dog is he?
    Some breeds of dog like Labradors are always hungry.
    You should feed a pup two or three times a day. Get a good puppy complete food and stay away from tins of dog food and Pedigree chum.
    Even the Pedigree chum puppy complete is to rich. All my dog did was **** every where while he was on it.
    I found the Redmills puppy to be excellent.
    Get a few different samples to see if your puppy likes it before buying the
    large bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 302 ✭✭looserock

I'm not familiar with the particular brand you're using but if its top quality and you have the right bag for you're dog [eg, small breeds, large breeds. giant etc] the guide will be pretty good, the only problem is the quantities are very small and while hes getting everything he needs he doesn't feel full.

If you feel you must give more, don't give him the quality food as extra.

Perhaps mix in something else as a filler.

• Registered Users Posts: 401 ✭✭Graceland

He is a lab/collie cross. The particular food was recommended by my vet. As I said up further, I measure out the full amount first thing in the morning and then feed it to him over the day. He really loves this food. I think he is just greedy as he eats it like he is starving. But he is full of energy so it is obviously enough food for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 StackODinos

Bluefrog wrote: »
    Luckily for me, they use most of it up on eachother...

Cute video!

Live floor show every few hours - children's matinee on Saturdays and Sundays :D
    Cute video!

• Advertisement
Advertisement