Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enterprise Views so far

• 06-05-2003 12:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭

Well enterprise has aired about half way through its second season on sky 1 now and i was wondering what peoples views are on it? how do you think it is holding up against others in the franchise, what do you think of the characters, who do you think is being under utilised etc?

Personally i've have been somewhat impressed so far, fair enough theres been some crap episodes but if you look back at the first few seasons of the other series they weren't making there best stuff either and i do think theres been some good storylines (ref: temporal cold war). I also like the relationship that seems to be developing between trip and t'pol looks like it could be shaping up for something interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

I cant say one good thing about this show. Its just so god dammed bad it makes Voyager look like a Babylon 5 class show and Voyager was utter ****e.

To me it was a bad idea for a Trek show and should be canned in favour of a different Trek series.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Originally posted by Venom
    I cant say one good thing about this show. Its just so god dammed bad it makes Voyager look like a Babylon 5 class show and Voyager was utter ****e.

To me it was a bad idea for a Trek show and should be canned in favour of a different Trek series.
    I'd agree with Venom, except for the part of about a different Trek series.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,892 ✭✭✭bizmark

its getting better

thats about all you can say for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

i definitely don't think its as bad as voyager was in the early days as for it being a bad idea i don't think so, as the people at the top said what where they going to do sent it further into the future with the enterprise x exploring further and further, they needed a new idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I've liked it from the Start. There's not really been any episode I stopped in the middle of and stopped watching because it was unbearable or anything like that.

Latest episodes are really getting good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's the usual format for Trek series's.

Season 1 - ****e
    Season 2 - Better but not great
    All subsequent seasons, better & good.

The only exception being DS9 which was just complete ****e all the way through.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭davej

I've been watching it consistently since it started and prefer it to Voyager. I think the producers learnt a lot from the relative failure of Voyager and made the appropriate changes. Going for an already recognised (and popular) actor as the captain was a good move imo, Bakula is just such a likeable guy.

There are always going to be a few duff episodes in a season (last nights one for example) but overall I think the BIG story lines (deteriorating relationship with the klingons and the temporal cold war) are pretty solid.

One thing I'm a bit apprehensive about is the
    old reliable borg that seem to be making an appearance..
    http://www.startrek.com/library/ent_episodes/episodes_ent_detail_128643.asp

davej

• Registered Users Posts: 14,148 ✭✭✭✭Lemming

Originally posted by seamus
    It's the usual format for Trek series's.

Season 1 - ****e
    Season 2 - Better but not great
    All subsequent seasons, better & good.

The only exception being DS9 which was just complete ****e all the way through.

I'll agree with that statement, until the DS9 bit

DS9 was pretty unremarkeable until they started to create a conspiracy involving something called "The Dominion". Then at the start of Season4 it got much more interesting. Not to mention rather violent for a Trek Series.

Then in Season 6/7 it got even more so. I can recall one particular episode which was very UN-Trekky in Season 6. The "Siege of AR-571" I think? Very dark and depressing. Not to mention watching a near-psychotic starfleet lad run around a pitched battle knifing Jem Hadar in the throats whilst you can see/hear people dying in the background, along with those blood-curdling death screams. Then at the end of it all, the survivors are practically knee-deep in the dead (of both sides)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Its watchable and pretty good sometimes. Last nights ep on the Cargo ship was actually pretty good! I thought.

Then again i missed last weeks episode on all 3 occasions it was on sky that week :confused: But i dont think i missed too much! Where as if it had been DS9 or Voyager i would have been scouring the binaries looking to download it. I was with Alias but no sign of the ep i needed. :(

Anyway i dont see how people can say Voyager was Shíte as it ended up being one of the best.. like DS9, starts out ok but turns into a cool cant miss bit of Star Trek!

I think the biggest problem so far are the Characters in Enterprise. The only good one is T'pol and maybe Tripp. The rest have yet to develop properly.. well actually Dr Flox is pretty funny i suppose.

Actually the Temporal cold war seems a little far fetched to me... for that era... i mean you dont even see this kind of stuff in Voyager or DS9 or TNG set centuries later!

Enterprise needs more eps that build on character and also build on the whole Federation birth. Im sure it will come.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Im amazed at how some folks dont like DS9. It was the best of the Trek shows. Alot darker than the other series but handled it so well. The last few years of the show were just so kick ass, tho the final episode was a tad on the weak side in the last 30 minutes.

Voyager had to use the Borg every other month to keep the ratings and interest in the show high and turned one of the better ideas to come from Star Trek into cannon fodder.

As someone else has posted I really dont care if I miss an episode of Enterprise and even tho I though Voyager was lame I still watched all the episodes.

• Advertisement

Saruman i acutally thought that last nights episode wasn't the best but the previous weeks one with the klingons in it was quite good. Last nights had an element of humour with the film thing and all but the cargo ship wasn't anything that hadn't been seen before, i was only surprised when the aliens looked for the whole ship instead of the just the cargo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

The ep i missed had klingons? Oh now i remember reading that on the EPG.. something to do with a trial? Sounds a bit like "the undiscovered country" to me!

Yeah you would think last night they would go for the cargo and run.. i guess not... they must have wanted to destroy the cargo ship too.. reason being.. a battle gives better ratings!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I was originally furious when I heard that Enterprise was going to be set in the past (relatively speaking). I must now admit, I like the show. Sure, some of the stories have been a little bit corny, but they are improving. Regeneration last night was very good.

I also like TNG, DS9 and VOY. I didn't like TOS, the animated series and about half of the movies.

NB. You wouldn’t catch me wearing Vulcan ears or Star Fleet Uniforms. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Sloth

I love it even if I'm not a huge fan of Archer. I think most of the characters are great even if Mayweather seems a little bit too close to Harry Kim for my liking. I actually really like Hoishi even if she doesn't get anywhere near enough airtime.
    The episodes have been good if nothing amazing but I'll definilty keep watching it as things will only get better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 144 ✭✭Spock

Its betrer thatn the other series were at the point in time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,949 ✭✭✭BLITZ_Molloy

I think TNG had the perfect combination of good actors and good scripts - and there was that great progression where it started off very light and cheezy and got darker towards the end. Much of the crew in DS9 and Voyager irritated the hell out of me and rendered much of those unwatchable.

I like the actors and characters on Enterprise. The few episodes I saw from the first series had really slow unimaginative scripts though.

Last one I saw where the guy meets frozen alien chick, they hate each other, girl gets injured, guy loses shirt and then they love each other was so unbelivably formulaec.

yeah that was one of the worst episodes going, girl couldn't even act only there to look good, jesus they could have cast some one better.

Advertisement