Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The all new and only slightly recycled off topic thread (read post 1)

Comments

I do not recommend HBO's The Leftovers. Made by the same guy who made Lost and its very similar. Great acting but the plotline is nonsensical throughout

• Administrators Posts: 53,342 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I loved the first two seasons of Lost but it got weird in the middle and then a bit better at the end.

Well some people are responding positively to The Leftovers. I just find the "mysterious"-ness of it all to be frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭Swiwi.

Well first week at work went OK. They wear scrub tops and a white coat in Switzerland...so no more ironing shirts in a mad rush each morning, sweet as! Boss ("le chef") even let me go early, as the work was done, and the sun was shining outside, sweet as #2! And then I popped by the craft brewery ("brasseur artisanale"), to try the local brews, sweet as #3! Cheap by Swiss standards (5 bottles for CHF14), but then again each bottle only 250 mls. So far "la noire" is pretty much a porter, and "la claire" a wheat style beer. Tonight it's pizza across the valley in the other village, there's a bit of Italian in every country, n'est-ce pas?

In other news, my folk finally got the green light for their earthquake-damaged house to be knocked down and rebuilt from scratch. They still live in Dublin for the mo', so when they finally pack up in 12 months or so, they'll have a brand spanking new joint to go to.

Well, bon weekend to everyone in Ireland, .ak I expect to see you live and active for a certain match where the crusaders try and end the wait for eight...here's hoping anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Alarm is set. I also work with a South African who is Sharks fan, and I've been boldly smack talking him all week even though I've seen only a handful of Saders games this year (he doesn't know that). You better not let me down here Swiwi....

• Advertisement

We should have some beers in town on the Leinster v Ulster friendly day in August and get the Luas out to Tallaght for the game.

What ye reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

awec wrote: »
    We should have some beers in town on the Leinster v Ulster friendly day in August and get the Luas out to Tallaght for the game.

What ye reckon?

Good plan!

On another note, does anyone find those 30km limits on some of the slip roads on the M50 absolutely scandalous? It is far too slow and if you try to obey then you could hit from behind by another car still doing 80km.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

Any cheapish gyms for a day visit around Galway? Going there for a week on Wednesday so looking to workout a day or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Teferi wrote: »
    Any cheapish gyms for a day visit around Galway? Going there for a week on Wednesday so looking to workout a day or two.
    Kingfisher in the University is cheap enough but only open for non members 7am - 9am, 2pm - 4pm and 8:30pm - 9:30pm. Cant remember prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,786 ✭✭✭LostArt

was €8 when i was there early in the new year

• Advertisement

Ah €8 is grand. Cheers folks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭thirteen.

For anyone who hasn't come across it, this thread is gold.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057250466/1

Read through it yesterday - quality. :D

I never really thought I would get married then I read stuff like that...

I read that when it was only a few pages long, I didn't know it had taken on a life of its own - have to go back and read it now!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

ye had been following it and for what ever reason I thought the wedding was last Saturday and came and yesterday I was disappointed to find out I had another week to wait!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

For anyone who hasn't see this - an instructional video by Pete Carroll, Head Coach of the Seattle Seahawks, on their new rugby inspired tackling system, which attempts to completely remove the head from any involvement with tackling.

http://www.seahawks.com/news/articles/article-1/Pete-Carroll-tackles-a-serious-issue-with-instructional-video/5b06fe38-7d15-4414-bebe-4b7a7d74a6b3

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I love AF but by god the tackling of 90% of the teams is atrocious. They're far more concerned with knocking the ball out then safely or efficiently executing a tackle (somewhat understandably in some cases, as turnovers are huge) but it results in some pathetic missed tackles, far too easy hand offs and most importantly injuries.

Interesting video, will watch it when I get home. Seahawks and 9ers would be two of the teams who actually generally tackle well. It makes a difference.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

thirteen. wrote: »
    For anyone who hasn't come across it, this thread is gold.

http://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057250466/1

Brilliant! Should get a kickstarter to get the bridesmaid a go pro to embed in her hair. This **** cannot be missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,979 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Podge_irl wrote: »
    I love AF but by god the tackling of 90% of the teams is atrocious. They're far more concerned with knocking the ball out then safely or efficiently executing a tackle (somewhat understandably in some cases, as turnovers are huge) but it results in some pathetic missed tackles, far too easy hand offs and most importantly injuries.

Interesting video, will watch it when I get home. Seahawks and 9ers would be two of the teams who actually generally tackle well. It makes a difference.

The armour / padding is a slight obstacle in fairness, but I completely agree with you that the standard is almost as bad as the tackling in league.... oh... no... he... didn't.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

Good plan!

On another note, does anyone find those 30km limits on some of the slip roads on the M50 absolutely scandalous? It is far too slow and if you try to obey then you could hit from behind by another car still doing 80km.

The one coming off at Finglas northbound heading towards town needs to be taken at 30-40. Any higher it feels like the wheels will lift. You can tell the people who have and haven't driven it before.

It might be a bit of the metrosexual coming out, but lads I've discovered Lindenblutentee! The bio version is best, where the delicate lime-tree blossom flavours are infused with a subtle smokiness. A perfect caffeine-free tea to drink in the evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Swiwi. wrote: »
    It might be a bit of the metrosexual coming out, but lads I've discovered Lindenblutentee! The bio version is best, where the delicate lime-tree blossom flavours are infused with a subtle smokiness. A perfect caffeine-free tea to drink in the evening.

You accidentlely left your man card in Ireland, didn't you?

• Subscribers Posts: 40,968 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Swiwi. wrote: »

quick, someone get this man a pint'a stout with a jemmy chaser !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

You accidentlely left your man card in Ireland, didn't you?

Loving the Avatar !

Remember the days of the self packing tills up there !

Every poxy Thursday I had to follow my mother around that place while she did her shopping.

My father is a Pioneer and used to get a lot of booze in his job. We didn't have a lot of money at the time so she used to "bring it back" to JC's and get a refund. I remember JC Savage looking up one day and saying "We don't sell this kind. It's way too good for us to sell, I'll take it off you though"

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

http://www.finfacts.ie/Private/bestprice/guinnessindex.htm

Rough guide to average wages and average guinness prices from CSO.

ssaye2 wrote: »
    http://www.finfacts.ie/Private/bestprice/guinnessindex.htm

Rough guide to average wages and average guinness prices from CSO.

The main thing I took from that was €0.20 for a pint in the 60s...

I haven't had a pint for four euro in a long, long time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

I haven't had a pint for four euro in a long, long time

A lot of Dublin suburban pubs have Guinness on average 4 euro and around the country I would say not far off.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

ssaye2 wrote: »
    A lot of Dublin suburban pubs have Guinness on average 4 euro

What suburbs are you living in!?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement