Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NBA Offseason 2014

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭buyer95

Byron Scott has been offered the head coaching job with the Lakers. Kobe again getss his wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

buyer95 wrote: »
    Byron Scott has been offered the head coaching job with the Lakers. Kobe again getss his wish.

I'd like to see Byron Scott coaching as Swaggy P:

Kevin Love has pulled out of the USA's team for the World Cup. His reason? “because of my current status.” Fox Sports Ohio reports that Love has officially requested a trade to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The plot thickens.

buyer95 wrote: »
    Kevin Love has pulled out of the USA's team for the World Cup. His reason? “because of my current status.” Fox Sports Ohio reports that Love has officially requested a trade to the Cleveland Cavaliers.

The plot thickens.

Yup, afraid of getting injured in the worlds. Pity, I'd love to have seen him play. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

74f0e265cd091203ddcd7b8df825d7e5.png

:pac::rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,832 ✭✭✭NufcNavan

Also PG is rumoured to be changing his number to '13'.

NufcNavan wrote: »
    Also PG is rumoured to be changing his number to '13'.

Is that the number of kids he hopes to have by strippers before he retires? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,287 ✭✭✭padraig_f

Paully D wrote: »
    74f0e265cd091203ddcd7b8df825d7e5.png

:pac::rolleyes:

I'm generally for honesty, but even if you believe that, I don't think you should say it. Sends out the wrong message, 'I'm no taking responsibility, I'm blaming the coach'.

There seems to be a bit of a culture of that with the current Pacers team, blaming someone else, saw it with Hibbert, who was the worst performer coming out and saying 'there are some selfish guys here'.

I think that's probably why Lance got out, he got too much of the blame. Hibbert and George should've been glad Stephenson was doing stuff like blowing on Lebron. It distracted from their own bad performances. Hibbert had a catastrophe in the playoffs and I thought George was disappointing too. Remember the previous year in the playoffs, when the talk was that George approaching Lebron's level? Not so much of that this year.

We'll find out next season where the blame was. Maybe Stephenson wasn't blameless, but he got way too much criticism for what went wrong.

You are generally right, but Jim O'Brien was a horrible coach. No getting around that. There's a reason why he didn't get a job in the NBA after it.

Probably been mentioned already but LeJon is going back to the No. 23 jersey in Cleveland.

• Advertisement

Probably been mentioned already but LeJon is going back to the No. 23 jersey in Cleveland.

Only a number, but ugh, I hate this. Said when he changed to 6, it was out of respect for Jordan...

So I guess that was all bull****.

There’s a cynical PR aspect to the whole Lebron thing that I hate. Bill Simmons and Chuck Klosterman were discussing his “Coming Home” letter on a recent podcast. There’s probably elements of truth in the letter, but there’s no way he’s going back to Cleveland if it’s not a great situation, with tons of young talent and the assets to lure Kevin Love. But the Lebron PR machine dresses it up as this sentimental "I’m Coming Home" thing (small print: it’s a 2-year contract with a 1-year opt-out, if things don’t to to plan).

He’s just so PR-conscious, it makes me nauseous.

Main difference between now and 4 years ago is his marketing team has got better. He's still jumping ship to a better situation.

Byron Scott is about to be given the head coaching gig with the lakers, Scott has said it is all but done, and he will be revealed as the new coach tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭leggo

padraig_f wrote: »
    Only a number, but ugh, I hate this. Said when he changed to 6, it was out of respect for Jordan...

So I guess that was all bull****.

There’s a cynical PR aspect to the whole Lebron thing that I hate. Bill Simmons and Chuck Klosterman were discussing his “Coming Home” letter on a recent podcast. There’s probably elements of truth in the letter, but there’s no way he’s going back to Cleveland if it’s not a great situation, with tons of young talent and the assets to lure Kevin Love. But the Lebron PR machine dresses it up as this sentimental "I’m Coming Home" thing (small print: it’s a 2-year contract with a 1-year opt-out, if things don’t to to plan).

He’s just so PR-conscious, it makes me nauseous.

Main difference between now and 4 years ago is his marketing team has got better. He's still jumping ship to a better situation.

Yes. This times a thousand. No way being a community leader matters as much to him if Cleveland don't have an infinitely better situation with him on-board than a Miami side who can't afford to keep a team who couldn't win the finals together.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 1DRose

It's no coincidence that he left to go to Miami, who had retired Jordans jersey (even though he never played for them :rolleyes:). He probably knew already he couldn't wear the 23 there, so that was his little PPR move. Changing back to 23 or the Cavs just erases that statement. It's not like he is doing it out of fairness to Cavs fans from his 1st stint, they all burned those shirts in 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

1DRose wrote: »
    It's no coincidence that he left to go to Miami, who had retired Jordans jersey (even though he never played for them :rolleyes:). He probably knew already he couldn't wear the 23 there, so that was his little PPR move. Changing back to 23 or the Cavs just erases that statement. It's not like he is doing it out of fairness to Cavs fans from his 1st stint, they all burned those shirts in 2010!

2aak4cl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Rihanna has followed Embiid on Twitter... this guy is winning the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭The Phantom Jipper

leggo wrote: »
    Yes. This times a thousand. No way being a community leader matters as much to him if Cleveland don't have an infinitely better situation with him on-board than a Miami side who can't afford to keep a team who couldn't win the finals together.

Ease off on the hyperbole a tad. Going to Cleveland is a gamble and they are not a demonstrably better team than Miami would have been this year imo, let alone infinitely better.

It seems like the guy can do no right. If he had changed his number he'd be accused of being a corporate shill / stabbing his former fans in the back etc by encouraging them to buy the new jersey. Have the last few years not been homage enough to MJ or is he supposed to not even utter the number again for the rest of his life? What's more noteworthy is the continuing deference and obsequiousness regarding MJ -god forbid anyone should have the temerity to use the same number.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭stuba

Shelly Sterling wins the court case against Donald Sterling, allowing her to proceed with the sale of the team to Steve Ballmer for $2 billion.

Ease off on the hyperbole a tad. Going to Cleveland is a gamble and they are not a demonstrably better team than Miami would have been this year imo, let alone infinitely better.

It seems like the guy can do no right. If he had changed his number he'd be accused of being a corporate shill / stabbing his former fans in the back etc by encouraging them to buy the new jersey. Have the last few years not been homage enough to MJ or is he supposed to not even utter the number again for the rest of his life? What's more noteworthy is the continuing deference and obsequiousness regarding MJ -god forbid anyone should have the temerity to use the same number.

Don't mind people using MJ's number, it's just d-bags like Lebron I don't like using it. Anthony Davis uses it, that's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭ec18

padraig_f wrote: »
    Don't mind people using MJ's number, it's just d-bags like Lebron I don't like using it. Anthony Davis uses it, that's fine.

In fairness i think the number thing is overblown. Lebron wearing jordans number isn't going to make much of a difference. If teams want to retire great players numbers then thats all well and good, but it the team hasn't retired a number then it's fair game really

• Advertisement

Great read on Kyle Korver from Zach Lowe at Grantland here.

Great read on Kyle Korver from Zach Lowe at Grantland here.

Really great piece if you're into nerdy levels of detail and insight into the game (I am! :rolleyes::D). I've said it more than once on here - Chicago made a HUGE mistake in letting him go to ATL when they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

Stephen A. Smith has been suspended by ESPN for remarks relating to domestic violence.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/29/stephen-a-smith-suspended-espn-domestic-violence-ray-rice-michelle-beadle/

Seems to be a big problem in American pro sports.
    I know a disturbing number of NBA players have been arrested for domestic violence anyway.

BQQ wrote: »
    Stephen A. Smith has been suspended by ESPN for remarks relating to domestic violence.

http://www.tmz.com/2014/07/29/stephen-a-smith-suspended-espn-domestic-violence-ray-rice-michelle-beadle/

Seems to be a big problem in American pro sports.
    I know a disturbing number of NBA players have been arrested for domestic violence anyway.

He's a clown at the best of times.

As for domestic violence, if you think the NBA boys are bad, check other US pro sports for the same offense - way worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭BQQ

He's a clown at the best of times.

As for domestic violence, if you think the NBA boys are bad, check other US pro sports for the same offense - way worse.

I suspected as much, but didn't want to say it without checking first.

Possible by-product of the steroids I would imagine.

Lots of media speculation re: Durant going to Washington the last few days, which has stemmed from LeBron "going home."

It may happen, but we're going to have to listen to that bollocks every night for the next 2 years, aren't we? :mad:

Lots of media speculation re: Durant going to Washington the last few days, which has stemmed from LeBron "going home."

It may happen, but we're going to have to listen to that bollocks every night for the next 2 years, aren't we? :mad:

Yup, that is going to be tiresome to say the least.

If any of you are interested, there's an offer to see the World Cup quite cheaply here:

http://www.livebasketball.tv

Eurosport have the rights so if you have UPC you can watch it for free.

If any of you are interested, there's an offer to see the World Cup quite cheaply here:

Damn, not on for another month. I thought it was sooner. :(

• Advertisement

Good spot, thankfully I have Eurosport so I'm sorted. Looking forward to this though. All indications at the moment are that Derrick Rose will play, looking forward to seeing how that goes, and hoping he recaptures his old form. The inevitable USA v Spain game will be very good this year too. With Love and Aldridge pulling out and Blake going down the US are looking weak in the frontcourt.

Spain on the other hand have the Gasols and Ibaka here so that will be very interesting. Davis I expect will be the starting centre, but after that America are looking a little light on bigs. Sure you have Cousins, but do you trust him to play big minutes against Spain if Davis gets in foul trouble? The guy has never played a big game in all his professional career. I love Boogie, and think he is hugely talented but the doubt about him remains. Farried is more pf an energy guy who grabs a tonne of rebounds, but I don't think his game would translate that well to the international game. After that maybe Drumonnd, but he can be ruled out as an option on sight as the guy shoots something like 30% from the line. International coaches would just keep sending him to the line.

Just a heads up as regards BT Sports, who have exclusive rights to live games on these shores. The Setanta package which includes BT Sport is 1 euro for the month of August. Obviously theres is no NBA for months, but how Setanta work is that after the month is up and you ring up to cancel you will be offered a deal to stay on, probably at a tenner a month. The 1 euro deal means you don't have to pay the connection fee of 15 euro, and if you were to call them up and try and subscribe next October when the season starts again you will pay that and 20 euro a month. They only offer the 10 euro deal to existing customers. They show 2 premier league games a week also if that interest any. So if you are considering getting BT for the NBA next year tomorrow might be a good day to subscribe.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement