Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cao rounds

• 09-08-2010 7:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

whats the difference between early round, zero, one and second rounds???
    panicking here!!! help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Round zero is for graduates, mature students, people who deferred last etc. There's reserved places for them, they have no effect on points.

Round one is where the points system comes in, it's the Monday after the results come out and offers places to those with the highest points who applied for the course. There's a certain amount while people either accept the offer, reject it, or ignore it.

Round two is where any places left over from round one are offer to the next set of students with the highest points.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

What time do the offers come out for Round One? Is it 6am for all courses, as the cao website seems to suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭James_LWAU

Will CAO no what results I got in the LC? Say I fail maths will they still offer me my course ( because I can't get into my course with failed maths ) or will I not be offered anything?

Badly worded sorry :o

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

James_LWAU wrote: »
    Will CAO no what results I got in the LC? Say I fail maths will they still offer me my course ( because I can't get into my course with failed maths ) or will I not be offered anything?

Badly worded sorry :o

Yes, CAO will know (sounds ominous!). If one of your courses require maths, and you do not get the required grade, you won't get offered the course.

It goes in this order.
    -Matriculation Requirements (e.g. UCD requires a third language, at least OLD3)
    -Course Requirements (e.g. Maths Science requires a HLB3 in Maths)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Lawliet wrote: »
    Round zero is for graduates, mature students, people who deferred last etc. There's reserved places for them, they have no effect on points.

Round one is where the points system comes in, it's the Monday after the results come out and offers places to those with the highest points who applied for the course. There's a certain amount while people either accept the offer, reject it, or ignore it.

Round two is where any places left over from round one are offer to the next set of students with the highest points.

Say I get offered my second course, and I accept.
    Is there a chance they can offer me my first course, as a result of the above highlighted.
    Or if I accept, its done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

What time do the offers come out for Round One? Is it 6am for all courses, as the cao website seems to suggest?
    Yeah I was able to check my offers at 6am last year, but I heard some people had trouble getting on, depends on how many others are checking the site at the same time.
    Someone on here put up newspaper scans of the points a couple of hours before hand as well.

Is there a chance they can offer me my first course, as a result of the above highlighted.
    Yes, if you get a higher offer you can take it, even if you've already started another course, as happened to Jennie from leavingcert.net last year:
    http://leaving-cert.net/im-a-college-drop-out/

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Or if I accept, its done?
    Accepting your Round 1 offer will not prevent you from being offered a course higher on your preference list if a place becomes available.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Please see the updated CAO sticky at the top of the forum, thanks. :)

Advertisement