Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Introducing a new dog.

Options
  • 17-01-2009 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,
    As most of you know, my dog died in September and I'm thinking of getting a new dog in the next few weeks. The house is so empty without a dog and there are so many that need homes so I think its time. The only problem is that my cat Jess who loved our other dog is petrified of any other dogs that go near her. I mind dogs regularly in my own home and she avoids them the whole time they are there. She won't even go in the same room as them and if I bring her in she jumps up on me and digs her claws in because she is so scared! Anybody ever had to introduce a dog into a scaredy cats home? Also, I have heard that most greyhounds are great with cats. Has anyone any experience of this?
    I've added in 2 photos to show you how much she loved our old dog, Cara.
    Any advice, much appreciated!!
    Laura.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,822 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

As I have a Greyhound, asleep on my lap, I am biased. I have had dogs for all my life & I so regret not getting a greyhound earlier as they are fabulous dogs. However I would be wary of introducing a greyhound to a cat as the greyhound will instinctively chase it. I am sure that you could find a greyhound that is ok with cats then the key is to always give the cat an escape route. For example don't have a catdoor in the kitchen if that's where the dog will sleep. The cat has to know that it is safe then it will gradually accept the dog.

Dogs can learn new tricks. I have a Saluki who was trained for hare coursing yet now I can walk her through a field of rabbits off lead & she won't chase.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

We got a 9 week old pup in September, our cat(7yrs) had never lived with a dog (was used to neighbours terrier that is terrified of him) and is quite nervous normally. We introduced the pup when he was tired and held him for the cat to smell, it took a while we had to supervise them at all times when together but cat didn't seem too put out. We put a baby gate on the stairs so the cat can escape upstairs and the dog still sleeps in his crate.
    The dog is very playful and brings the cat toys and chases him(a lot) the cat is very gentle and rarely fights back, but I have noticed the cat comes looking for the dog now, and have seen him chase the dog.
    It's a slow process, I did worry a lot at the start but it can be done.
    Think the breed can be important, also temperament of both animals.
    Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Lauragoesmad

I want to get an older dog from a rescue so getting a pup isn't really an option. Thanks for all the advice though. :)

Advertisement