Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limerick v. Wexford, SHC QF, Semple Stadium @ 2pm

• 20-07-2014 10:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭T0001

Limerick v. Wexford, SHC QF, Semple Stadium @ 2pm

Can Limerick bounce back or are Wexford on too much of a roll?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭bennyl10

T0001 wrote: »
    Can Limerick bounce back or are Wexford on too much of a roll?

2pm thurles.. If wanted to update the title..

Game itself,momentum all with Wexford, but limerick I think will shade it just..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Michael Duignan & Donal Óg both tipped Wexford... they are on a roll, have their supporters well and truly behind them, playing some excellent hurling, have taken a big scalp... but I hope that we have enough to beat them at this stage. Would be really disappointing to fall behind another team at this stage of our development.

Changes needed, and improvement needed to deal with the Wexford movement in attack in particular; but their wide count and the space in their backline are things we can expose. They don't ever give up anyway, that's for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭grimbergen

Limerick for me. Wexford being on a roll is over-stated when you consider it came across 14-man Clare and the worst Waterford team in a long time. Just think Limerick have that bit more experience and guile to see them through. Wexford won't have faced forwards like this especially if Limk can find their killer instinct.

Two great hurling counties though with huge support - great to see them going well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

grimbergen wrote: »
    Limerick for me. Wexford being on a roll is over-stated when you consider it came across 14-man Clare and the worst Waterford team in a long time. Just think Limerick have that bit more experience and guile to see them through. Wexford won't have faced forwards like this especially if Limk can find their killer instinct.

Two great hurling counties though with huge support - great to see them going well.

When was the last time Limerick blew a team away? If there forwards were that good, they would have done.

John Allen played a containment game last year because he recognized this. Every game they win is tight and hard fought. They don't have a killer instinct. They've scored 3 goals in their last 5 championship games! And more than most teams, you will see wingbacks and midfielders scoring regularly for Limerick. Not neccesarily a complaint, but it's a sign that the forward line really isn't bursting with firepower.

Wexford's forwards are very good and they have been creating goal chances in every game they've played, including the Dublin game. Very hard to deal with, and though Limerick always bring great fight and intensity, I would have to question their defense this year. Some of the goals conceded (2ND V Tipp and both of Cork's) leave a lot to be desired in my opinion from the players mostly, but also management in their naivety.

Wexford did tire I think yesterday against Waterford and that could be an issue. They barely hit a wide for so long it seemed in that game but somehow ended up with 16. That is their achilles heel.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

I think this might be the final step for Wexford alright. I didnt expect to beat Clare, or think we could. Wasnt at all surprised to take Waterford but I think that may be saying more about how far Waterford have regressed than us progressing. But I think Limerick are an altogether different proposition and should be hurting from losing a Musnter final that they had in their sights for a decent time in that game.

Limerick will have better forwards playing more cohesively than Wexford have encountered this year. And its highly likely that Rossiter is going to be out, and he'll be a huge loss, he had been playing very well this year, particularly as the loose defender playing the ball out of defence. We dont really have adequate depth to replace him. I think midfield will be a great battle between 4 players who are all playing very well this year. Redmond still isnt fully fit and the Waterford game was the longest time he played this year, so not sure if another game so soon will take more out of him. Our forwards are going very well, but Guiney in particular cant be as lazy again. Has an awful tendancy to wait for handy balls to just lob over the bar. Harry Kehoe cant start again. Was completely anonymous for the 20 minutes he started. But in McDonald and McGovern, we have 2 of the most in form forwards right now, so who knows, we certainly are in with a good shout the way we are going.

• Advertisement

Tickets back online for anyone interested in going!

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭00lk

So is it Town End or Killinan End for the Limerick Supporters?
    Or is it whatever you can get your hands on online?

grimbergen wrote: »
    Limerick for me. Wexford being on a roll is over-stated when you consider it came across 14-man Clare and the worst Waterford team in a long time. Just think Limerick have that bit more experience and guile to see them through.

They did beat Clare with 15 in the end... obviously Clare were tired and playing poorly, but Wexford still had to beat them. It's oddly similar to Clare's run last year... people were still picking faults with them right up until the final, but they won the All-Ireland. I don't think Wexford are quite on that level, but momentum is powerful... I think it's lucky that Limerick meet them now tbh.

We should have more experience & guile, but does our management team have that??

When was the last time Limerick blew a team away? If there forwards were that good, they would have done.

John Allen played a containment game last year because he recognized this. Every game they win is tight and hard fought. They don't have a killer instinct. They've scored 3 goals in their last 5 championship games! And more than most teams, you will see wingbacks and midfielders scoring regularly for Limerick. Not neccesarily a complaint, but it's a sign that the forward line really isn't bursting with firepower.

Don't necessarily agree with that though. Just because John Allen decided on a certain tactic in 2013 does not mean that we are lacking... in fact, Allen left off arguably our two best forwards from the starting team, one of whom is our top scorer from play this year. In 2012, he was more adventurous and we scored loads of goals.

And Limerick blew away a team the last time they met a non top team... Clare didn't blow anyone away last year (maybe Laois), neither did Cork.. and are we saying that they don't have firepower?

Downes, Dowling & Mulcahy are all goal threats. Whether we play a system which accommodates them maximising that potential is a totally different matter... but we should have been more clinical against Cork for sure, we seemed content to take the points up until it was too late.

Wexford's forwards are very good and they have been creating goal chances in every game they've played, including the Dublin game. Very hard to deal with, and though Limerick always bring great fight and intensity, I would have to question their defense this year. Some of the goals conceded (2ND V Tipp and both of Cork's) leave a lot to be desired in my opinion from the players mostly, but also management in their naivety.

Wexford did tire I think yesterday against Waterford and that could be an issue. They barely hit a wide for so long it seemed in that game but somehow ended up with 16. That is their achilles heel.

Would agree with us conceding bad goals against Cork/Tipp, that's for certain. Way too much space offered against Cork in particular, the goals were coming.

And Wexford's wide count is a huge weakness... despite having some great forward play, they haven't managed a score bigger than Limerick in 70 mins in any of their games to date.

It'll be a great contest.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Fireball07 wrote: »
    They did beat Clare with 15 in the end... obviously Clare were tired and playing poorly, but Wexford still had to beat them. It's oddly similar to Clare's run last year... people were still picking faults with them right up until the final, but they won the All-Ireland. I don't think Wexford are quite on that level, but momentum is powerful... I think it's lucky that Limerick meet them now tbh.

We should have more experience & guile, but does our management team have that??

Don't necessarily agree with that though. Just because John Allen decided on a certain tactic in 2013 does not mean that we are lacking... in fact, Allen left off arguably our two best forwards from the starting team, one of whom is our top scorer from play this year. In 2012, he was more adventurous and we scored loads of goals.

And Limerick blew away a team the last time they met a non top team... Clare didn't blow anyone away last year (maybe Laois), neither did Cork.. and are we saying that they don't have firepower?

Downes, Dowling & Mulcahy are all goal threats. Whether we play a system which accommodates them maximising that potential is a totally different matter... but we should have been more clinical against Cork for sure, we seemed content to take the points up until it was too late.

Would agree with us conceding bad goals against Cork/Tipp, that's for certain. Way too much space offered against Cork in particular, the goals were coming.

And Wexford's wide count is a huge weakness... despite having some great forward play, they haven't managed a score bigger than Limerick in 70 mins in any of their games to date.

It'll be a great contest.

Wexford scored 5-19 in their opening game this year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

If Limerick can't win this one, I'll give up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭Browney7

Tickets.ie are saying both stands are sold out.

There will be some crowd at this game!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭sjb25

Browney7 wrote: »
    Tickets.ie are saying both stands are sold out.

There will be some crowd at this game!

Yep goin mad for tickets in wexford here got mine anyway and I know good few who have terrace so it must be sellin well also goin to be a massive crowd like Nowlan park can't wait :)

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Tickets were on sale last week . Not fair on Wexford people when they had to play Waterford first before buying a ticket.

thesamster wrote: »
    Tickets were on sale last week . Not fair on Wexford people when they had to play Waterford first before buying a ticket.

Got ours online on the way home from Kilkenny ;) but agree with you but still some will be on sale in wexford park tommorow but I'd go early they say on Facebook they will have a certain amount of stand tickets available

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭thesamster

Got mine . From tipp myself but great to see things going well for Wexford . Ye will bring big numbers on Sunday . It will be almost full I hope . Good weather too . Real championship Sunday ahead hopefully . Good luck

Theyd hardly realistically move it to croker?,.
    And if stands are sold.out.. surely that means all seats are taken and more cant be added..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

Not a chance it will be moved at this stage. Logistical nightmare for those already with tickets.

They missed their chance to have it in Croke Park when setting the fixture. Was always going to be well attended with Limerick Tipp and Dublin bringing decent crowds before it was even decided between Wex and Wat

slegs wrote: »
    Not a chance it will be moved at this stage. Logistical nightmare for those already with tickets.

They missed their chance to have it in Croke Park when setting the fixture. Was always going to be well attended with Limerick Tipp and Dublin bringing decent crowds before it was even decided between Wex and Wat

No not a chance I'd say but that what wexford gaa say iv mine anyway ;) garth brooks all over again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Both terraces still available on tickets.ie now. Got my town end ticket this morning :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭slegs

Both terraces still available on tickets.ie now. Got my town end ticket this morning :D

Not for long once the Wexford panic sets in thanks to their secretary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

The stands will probably sell out so. I'd say some of the Dublin allocation will come back, but obviously there is fierce demand in Wexford, how much does the stand hold, about 20,000 between the two?

Could be 40,000 at this game yet, would be some turnout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

The stands will probably sell out so. I'd say some of the Dublin allocation will come back, but obviously there is fierce demand in Wexford, how much does the stand hold, about 20,000 between the two?

Could be 40,000 at this game yet, would be some turnout.

Wikipedia says 26000 seated.

Apparently Limerick are in the killinan end?

Wikipedia says 26000 seated.

Apparently Limerick are in the killinan end?

From where?

bruschi wrote: »
    Wexford scored 5-19 in their opening game this year

I stand corrected. My apologies.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Its great that it looks like the QFs will have a serious attendance for the first time in ages. Not too sure about this one but I think Limerick probably have the slight edge and will win by a couple of points in the end.

I'd have both provincial champions as the clear favourites for the AI, but I'd really love to see whoever wins this game go all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭gizmo23

Just posted on the limerick forum but there is a whole war going on in wexford we received 2,000 stand tickets with nearly 10 times that looking for tickets

This is going to rumble on for next 36- 48 hours..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭Grats

Surely the capacity number of tickets would have been divided equally amongst the four participating counties? If that's not the case then Wexford should object. Doesn't make sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Should be switched to Pairc Ui Chaoimh...
    No horsefair in Buttevant this weekend..:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭purplepanda

gizmo23 wrote: »
    Just posted on the limerick forum but there is a whole war going on in wexford we received 2,000 stand tickets with nearly 10 times that looking for tickets

This is going to rumble on for next 36- 48 hours..

So which terrace are WX supporters supposed to buy tickets for? Limerick get the Town end I presume?

Not bothered about the seats but would prefer to be with fellow fans at least.

Also stories going around that tickets were on sale last week before the WX v WT game was even started? :mad:

I'm guessing we WX should but tickets for the Tipp home end?

Advertisement