Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

NRL 2014

• 06-03-2014 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭

Start of new season down under, looking forward to seeing how Sam Tomkins goes for my NRL team the Warriors this weekend.

Big turn up for the books in League opener with the Rabbitohs beating the Roosters, 3 of the Burgess boys played for South Sydney. Its some league, shame the BBC or someone don't pick it up, would nicely fill a morning schedule for them, highest quality sport, for dirt cheap.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Slim Charles

It's on setanta only in Ireland i think ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

Brief highlights here of Bunnies v Roosters season opener.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWZH4qY_zqc

Looking forward to following the season as best I can..and never miss State of Origin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

It's on setanta only in Ireland i think ?

Yeah, 20 euro a month. Nowhere on their advertising does it mention NRL, just about every other sport going, but not the Rugby League. Yet Setanta 1 has all the games on their tv listing. Odd.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/subscribe

Only other option might be the Premier Sports online player, tenner a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭n32

Great game on Setanta this morning between NQL and Canberra.

Lovely try by Thurston

n32 wrote: »
    Great game on Setanta this morning between NQL and Canberra.

Lovely try by Thurston

Great try, defence half asleep at the start, but Thurston finished it brilliantly.

• Advertisement

Yeah, 20 euro a month. Nowhere on their advertising does it mention NRL, just about every other sport going, but not the Rugby League. Yet Setanta 1 has all the games on their tv listing. Odd.

http://www.setanta.com/ie/subscribe

Only other option might be the Premier Sports online player, tenner a month.

I have it alright but have rarely watched it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭ciarriaithuaidh

https://www.youtube.com/user/FrancisGonzalezNRL/videos

This guy is brilliant for highlights of games on youtube.

I watched a bit of Gold Titans game on setanta yesterday morning, that try by Kelly (Albert ?) was phenomenal running.

I watched a bit of Gold Titans game on setanta yesterday morning, that try by Kelly (Albert ?) was phenomenal running.

Albert Kelly, great name, sounds like he should be wearing a flat cap. Ran virtually length of the pitch. Looked like he went a bit early and might have been offside, although I only saw one angle. Like a whippet when he got going though.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Nice to see an NRL thread, I grew up in oz in the 80s and went to all the Doggies games for years at belmore before they moved ( including the 1985 winfield cup grand final (SCG) that finished 7-6 still the closest final ever) I thinks year is shaping up to be great... just not for the Doggies unfortunatly.
    my thoughts
    1. Roosters
    2. Nth QLD
    3.Manly
    4. Storm
    5. Bunnies
    6. Penrith
    7.Titans
    8.Just making it... THE DOGGIES!

Love the NRL.

• Advertisement

Still love the Super League , but I'm a bit of a NRL convert, quality of a lot of the games are just something else. Hardest thing for most weekend games is trying to get up early enough to watch them though. (Not the early games, I'm not that committed!)

Just out of Interest Who do people support on here ( if anyone)?

I have only recently taken a small interest in it, and am cheering on the GC Titans

As I say, its newish to me, but looked out for NZ Warriors results last season or 2. Got off to their usual start away from home. Have a good squad on paper. Like the Dragons too, Gareth Widdop got off to a flyer, but don't think either of my teams will be bothering the top 8 this year.

Dont know about that I reckon one of the titans/ warriors will make the 8. I think st george will struggle this year.

Dont know about that I reckon one of the titans/ warriors will make the 8. I think st george will struggle this year.

Hopefully you're right about the Warriors, but aren't they well known for being consistently inconsistent?!

they are, but all the aussie pundits rate them highly this year ( forget the parra game ). triple m nrl podcasts are pretty good with loads of former players and pundits ,pretty funny stuff.

Tight wins for Manly and Brisbane already this round. Rest of the fixtures, starts with stupid o'clock game (our time) between my 2 particular favourites, couple of English lads playing each other

New Zealand Warriors v St George/Illawarra
    Melbourne v Penrith
    Sydney v Parramatta

Sunday

Gold Coast v Wests
    Newcastle v Canberra

Monday

Canterbury v Cronulla

No idea on results here, any gamblers care to give me any bets worth putting a euro on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭n32

Sea Eagles fan, lived walking distance from Brookvale Oval for 12 months. What a venue for a night time game!

there you go I said warriors were tipped for big things this year and they have been awful. great round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,245 ✭✭✭old gregg

I grew up in Bronte and went to school in Bondi in the early '70's so played League through those years and been a Rooster all my life. Living in Ireland now but get back to Oz every few years and try to catch as many games as I can regardless of who's playing. Brookie is a great spot for a night game for sure n32.

old gregg wrote: »
    I grew up in Bronte and went to school in Bondi in the early '70's so played League through those years and been a Rooster all my life. Living in Ireland now but get back to Oz every few years and try to catch as many games as I can regardless of who's playing. Brookie is a great spot for a night game for sure n32.
    I have always liked Manly and Brookie is great.The Chooks will be hard to beat this year they have some side but I reckon Manly could be right up there with them.

It's hard to imagine a season when manly aren't in the mix come finals time. Always liked them too. Even as a kid I preferred their colours to the Roosters when they'd play each other.

I grew up in fairfield and went to Pats everyone supported the eels because of the sterlo connection but I remained true to the doggies my brother was a magpies fan most weekends was a rotation of belmore and campbelltown.

Golly the Roosters v Broncos game was a thriller. Really liking the new time off rule for kick-offs within last 5 mins. Great Roosters win :)

Have they always had Thursday night games or is that a relatively new thing. Great for TV audiences anyway.

Mon the titans!!!

Have they always had Thursday night games or is that a relatively new thing. Great for TV audiences anyway.
    Good for TV the viewing numbers in sydney are really good , terrible for crowd numbers. the numbers this year are at an all time low. Broncos and melbourne bring the numbers up a bit but other clubs are struggling.there is a real cry for clubs to go back to small traditional stadiums (Belmore Cambelltown leichardt oval) and out of anz that is empty week after week. If you look at the manly v parra game on the weekend it looked great with a full crowd versus souths v wests looked terrible but similar numbers. With Bulldogs, Souths and wests sharing the ANZ, home ground buzz has faded a bit. That and the constant cry for a perth based team and another qld. team its only a matter of time before a sydney team is franchised out.

True thing. The ANZ really has killed a lot of the home ground buzz. None of the spirit and atmosphere you'd get at a small local ground and a bugger to get to/from.

Have to say, my favourite ground from the last time I was back was Dairy Farmer's Stadium in North Queensland for a Cowboys v Tigers game. 7pm, 26 degrees, cold beer, cheerleaders to die for and the game had yet to start. Beautiful old setting.

• Advertisement

Fri 28 Mar Roosters v Sea Eagles Allianz Stadium --- Roosters for me but this is going to be a cracker
    Fri 28 Mar Dragons v Broncos WIN Stadium Going--- broncos here
    Sat 29 Mar Warriors v Wests Tigers Westpac --- Tigpies
    Sat 29 Mar Eels v Panthers Pirtek Stadium ---- Panthers but they will have to stop raradra he is an animal
    Sat 29 Mar Bulldogs v Storm NIB Stadium--- Bulldogs but only because Im a doggies Fan
    Sun 30 Mar Rabbitohs v Raiders ANZ ---- Bunnies
    Sun 30 Mar Knights v Sharks Hunter Stadium ----Knights hard one as they are both woeful at the moment
    Mon 31 Mar Titans v Cowboys Robina Stadium
    Cowboys/ JT will run a muck

What Do you guys reckon?

Advertisement