Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Wheels jammed when starting

• 04-03-2014 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hey, just a quick query but doesn't seem to be too serious. Quite often when i start my car, the wheels seemed to be jammed for a few seconds. it appears stuck. this especially happens when it has been parked up for a couple of days. If i accelerate a little harder it usually comes free in a few seconds and then runs fine.

i initially thought the air pressure in the tyres may be too low but I've checked them and they're fine. any idea what could be causing it? the car's a 06 focus
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭debabyjesus

jimmykeno wrote: »
    Hey, just a quick query but doesn't seem to be too serious. Quite often when i start my car, the wheels seemed to be jammed for a few seconds. it appears stuck. this especially happens when it has been parked up for a couple of days. If i accelerate a little harder it usually comes free in a few seconds and then runs fine.

i initially thought the air pressure in the tyres may be too low but I've checked them and they're fine. any idea what could be causing it? the car's a 06 focus

Just the brakes/handbrake sticking a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,059 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Sounds like sticking drum brakes, very common that the seize up when the car is laid up for a few days especially after rain. A 2006 Focus has rear drum brakes fitted. Happened to my old 05 Focus years back too after returning from holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭nicol

You'll need to get it checked to ensure that the piston in the brake caliper isn't jamming. I had a similar problem last week, turns out the brake pads were in constant contact with the discs when I was driving and it wore them out in no time at all. Only noticed it when I heard metal on metal when I drove. Apparently it's the grit on the roads that is causing it, quite a common problem according to my mechanic.

In hindsight I should have twigged it sooner, I was getting a clunk when I let the handbrake off in the morning and the car was slightly more sluggish when accelerating. Get it checked just to be on the safe side.
    jimmykeno wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Craazysteve

Occasionally get the same issue with my focus when it's been sitting up for a few days after driving in rain. It's just the handbrake sticking on, I find if there's any resistance when setting off then just put the handbrake back on and release it again to free it up. Otherwise, If you just try to power through, you'll hear a nasty sounding metal clunk as it frees up

• Registered Users Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭RandomAccess

If you are parking on flat ground and leaving the car for a long period you could just leave it in gear and not apply the handbrake.
    Certainly wouldn't do that on any kind of even gradual slope though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭Bpmull

It happens on my focus the odd time. It's nothing to worry about if it only happens the odd time not day in day out. The reason it happens a good bit on the mk2 focus is because it has rear brake drums rather than discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 jimmykeno

thanks for all the replies everyone

Advertisement