Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vietnamese in Dublin - Pho Bo

• 02-12-2012 11:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭

Having lived overseas for a while we used to eat a lot of Vietnamese food, mainly Pho Bo. We went to cheap as chips Vietnamese cafes and the food was always amazing. Both myself and my husband have a real craving for it but can't find anywhere in Dublin. We found one Vietnamese restaurant but it was quite expensive and had a waiting list when he tried to book :confused: We're looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful. Anyone know of anywhere to get Pho?

Also, does anywhere in Dublin do yum cha (which would probably be called dim sum, I'd say. It's Chinese dumplings/nibbles/cakes with tea). We used to go regularly on Sunday's and it's the world's best hangover cure. We're missing that a lot as well :) Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Saba on Clarendon St does Pho Bo for under a tenner.

Places that do yum cha (in my personal favourite order) are:
    1. Ming Court in Blanchardstown
    2. Imperial on Wicklow St.
    3. New Millennium next to the Gaeity.
    4. Good World on George's St.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 519 ✭✭✭YumCha

You cannot get 'proper' pho bo anywhere. A lot of the Asian fusion type places (Saba, Neon) do a version - but it's pretty lacking.

There was a whole thread about pho recently - I posted about Aobaba on Capel St - which is the closest attempt I've seen.

As for yum cha, my favourite is New Millenium next to the Gaiety - I have it on good authority all the dim sum is handmade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

There is a new dim sum place in Ranelagh called mak at D6, went there a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed.

I read somewhere Pattaya off Nangor Road does dim sum too. But I wonder if it's a proper dim sum menu? You know how some restaurants claim they do dim sum, only to come up with a handful dish of fried eggrolls, dumplings and squids.

tfak85 wrote: »
    There is a new dim sum place in Ranelagh called mak at D6, went there a couple of weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed.

Site looks great! Must give Mak a try. And they have POTSTICKERS!!!

• Advertisement

tfak85 wrote: »

I've tried Mak once - didn't like it at all! Spare ribs came out all clumped together, chicken feet were oily, rubbery and sticky (but not a good sticky - like when a sauce congeals). Would give it another go maybe but it was one I almost said in my other post to avoid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭MurdyWurdy

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone - we'll have to do some sampling. My hubby was only talking about Pho again last night but I didn't mention I was looking for suggestions. Think I'll surprise him this week - I work near Capel Street so might try the one there first.

We went to Saba tonight - he was desperate for Pho and we both really liked it. It wasn't quite as nice as what we are used to but it was very good. It definitely scratched the itch. My only complaint was the beef was sliced very thick which is unusual for Pho. My husband also had to ask for extra chillis to add which we're used to getting on the side as standard but the service was excellent so it wasn't a big deal.

The Pho is 9.95 online but it's actually 13.95 in the restaurant. They must have put the price up. It was worth it though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    2. Imperial on Wicklow St.

Was on Wicklow St today and the Imperial seems to have closed down. To Let sign out front.

Edit: It's actually gone a couple of months according to the IT

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1024/1224325612481.html

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Was on Wicklow St today and the Imperial seems to have closed down. To Let sign out front.

Edit: It's actually gone a couple of months according to the IT

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1024/1224325612481.html

NOOOOOOOOOOOO!:eek:
    I'm going to miss their Duck Noodle Soup

• Advertisement

MurdyWurdy wrote: »

The Pho is 9.95 online but it's actually 13.95 in the restaurant. They must have put the price up. It was worth it though!

It's 9.95 for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭lima

Having lived in Vietnam and Melbourne I got quite used to Pho, especially on a hungover Sunday (I Love Pho on Victoria St!)

Having brought my Melbourne GF back to live in Dublin I have had to go to as far as London and Paris to find decent Pho. We did go to Saba to try their 'Pho' there but it wasn't proper pho at all.

We then discovered Aobaba on Capel St and that is currently the best Pho in Dublin. it is also very cheap at e5.90 or thereabouts. It does chicken Pho too, as well as Summer rolls :-)

I reckon setting up a Vietnamese restaurant in Dublin would make for some serious profit, cheap and cheerful place off Grafton St or in Rathmines for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

lima wrote: »
    I reckon setting up a Vietnamese restaurant in Dublin would make for some serious profit, cheap and cheerful place off Grafton St or in Rathmines for example.

Ho Sen was great. Really really good authentic Vietnamese food at good prices, (very popular with the thirty to forty something gay community, so you know it's quality food), I was there about four or five times. The chef was from Hanoi. But it closed down. I guess there isn't much of a call for Vietnamese food in Dublin.

Rumour has it that Ho Sen is to open again soon. Keep an eye out.

To the posters who suggested places for yum cha - do any of them do a proper "yum cha experience" i.e. people walking round with trays of food and asking if you want some or not or is it all just ordering off a dim sum menu? I want to go with friends for my birthday and I'd love to find somewhere that does yum cha on the weekends like we're used to.

Unfortunately there's no place in Dublin (or even in Europe that I've seen) that does Yum Cha with the trolleys or trays. I heard even in Hong Kong they're phasing the trolleys out :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I think there's a new Vietnamese restaurant opening up on Parnell St. Saw a mention on Twitter recently. Should be good for the pho hots.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭lods

dudara wrote: »
    I think there's a new Vietnamese restaurant opening up on Parnell St. Saw a mention on Twitter recently. Should be good for the pho hots.

Yes, its at 162 Parnell Street East , beside Dance world. Very close to the Parnell Monument. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublins-Chinatown/115232335222683

lods wrote: »
    Yes, its at 162 Parnell Street East , beside Dance world. Very close to the Parnell Monument. :)

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Dublins-Chinatown/115232335222683

OMG - I'm going on a Pho expedition asap!

YumCha wrote: »

OMG - I'm going on a Pho expedition asap!
    Let us know what it's like !

YumCha wrote: »
    Unfortunately there's no place in Dublin (or even in Europe that I've seen) that does Yum Cha with the trolleys or trays. I heard even in Hong Kong they're phasing the trolleys out :(

Boo - we lived in New Zealand until recently and Yum Cha is a big thing there. Loved having them come around with trays of food and just taking what you wanted. Oh well, guess we'll ahve to make a trip back to NZ! Yum Cha is the best hangover cure known to mandkind :)

Also, will definitely try out the new Vietnamese restaurant. Dublin needs a good one

• Advertisement

I'm laughing at this thread now - we're like addicts looking for a fix! :D

lods wrote: »
    Let us know what it's like !

It's real, it's real!! Had the Pho with sliced beef, brisket and beef balls, it was amazing!

I'm already planning return trips to eat my way through the whole menu....nyomomomom

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Having lived in Hanoi for nearly a year, and lived with Vietnamese people in Ha Long Bay on an island for 3/4 of that. I have been seriously seriously craving Pho since I got home...

And nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,475 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm amazed that such well traveled people are surprised and disappointed food isn't the same everywhere in the world.

We grow and harvest our food differently in a completely different environment, we raise, feed, treat and kill our animals differently, it's kept and butchered differently. Our produce is different, it's not the same, even our dried goods are dried differently.

You will not get the exact same produce in Dublin that you will get in Hanoi. Closer to the source you might (Australia)... Mega cities like London might closely replicate some stuff because of large ex-pat communities and forced environments.

I know it's nice to have a reminder of you holidays when you get back, but it's never the exact same!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I've been twice to Pho Viet in the last week - first time service was a bit chaotic (bordering on hilarious), second time service was perfect. Regardless, the pho was great and it costs a mere €6.90 for a decent sized bowl. They do add a 10% service charge, but the prices are very affordable anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭AsianDub

Just back from there. Bit quiet but was in there early. Started to fill up when a Vietnamese family came in.

Had the Pho Viet Special with the beef balls, brisket and thinly sliced beef steak, some fresh Vietnamese spring rolls, an ice coffee and tea. All very nice and reasonably priced. Came to €14.70.
    You get the beansprouts, fresh chillis, mint and Thai basil. Got a lemon instead of a lime.

Broth was nice, not as beefy as some I've had but still nice. Meat seemed to be good quality (imo) and thinly sliced. Noodles were good.

Definitely the best I've had in Dublin. Well worth a visit and will be back to try the other dishes on the menu.

Bring cash as they haven't sorted out their card machine yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Foodfanatic

Have eaten at Pho Viet 3 times already and absolutely loved it.

Had the pho twice and a the noodle salad with pork and springrolls another time as well as fresh springrolls. Everything has been lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭pugwall

I really can't wait to try this place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

any vegetarian dishes?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement