Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sony Xperia S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,163 ✭✭✭✭ED E

April 14th....will it come true?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Anyone know how to fix this issue with screen going black and locking during a call when on speaker? Its driving me nuts and I am really beginning to hate this phone

Here is what happens

I make/receive a phone call and click on the speaker button to allow me to talk over the speaker.
    After about 10-12 seconds (no matter how long I have the screen timeout set to) screen goes blank
    If I want to end the call I have to press the power button, unlock with my unlock pattern and then hit end call

This also happens when I have the phone connected to my car Bluetooth which starts the app Car Home Ultra and in this app there is a setting to keep screen on but that won’t work either.
    I have tried all sorts of apps to keep the screen on and even Tasker to turn my pattern lock off and set screen timeout to never when connected to my car Bluetooth but nothing works

Damn thing switches off the screen mid call

At this stage I can’t wait to get rid of the phone as its now got one long line of buggy software faults that Sony are mega slow to fix. Maybe Jelly Bean might fix this.....if we ever get it.

Anyway if anyone can help with this or has seen this issue on their handset let me know how I can sort it

• Registered Users Posts: 14 cibies

ED E wrote: »
    April 14th....will it come true?

Whats that?

cibies wrote: »
    Whats that?

Date for the start of the JB rollout for us supposedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,379 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

@tui0hcg

If you go into your settings you can select that the power button ends the call so you dont have to wait for the screen

Settings> Accessibility> Power button ends call.

Hope that helps

• Advertisement

Date for the start of the JB rollout for us supposedly.

Don't hold your breath! :)

@tui0hcg

If you go into your settings you can select that the power button ends the call so you dont have to wait for the screen

Settings> Accessibility> Power button ends call.

Hope that helps

Thanks
    I was aware of this but it really is not much good as I still need to have the phone return to the screen that i was on before the phone call took place. I believe that is what happens on stock Android and it also happened on my old HTC. So in other words if I press power button to end the call i still need to unlock the phone to go back to what I was doing before the call. At the moment the screen just goes blank and stays blank even if the other party ends the call or if I press power button to end the call.

Crap Sony bugs that they refuse to fix and with 5 months left on my contract I am counting down the days to when I can get rid of this load of junk.....

Don't even start me on the other faults with the phone or with the Xperia U my wife has or even the Xperia Tipo my daughter has!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

You could be right, im hearing that it maybe released soon.
    Just waiting for my Xperia P to get JB, but it will be after the Xperia S gets it

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Thanks
    I was aware of this but it really is not much good as I still need to have the phone return to the screen that i was on before the phone call took place. I believe that is what happens on stock Android and it also happened on my old HTC. So in other words if I press power button to end the call i still need to unlock the phone to go back to what I was doing before the call. At the moment the screen just goes blank and stays blank even if the other party ends the call or if I press power button to end the call.

Crap Sony bugs that they refuse to fix and with 5 months left on my contract I am counting down the days to when I can get rid of this load of junk.....

Don't even start me on the other faults with the phone or with the Xperia U my wife has or even the Xperia Tipo my daughter has!

What FW you on? I had problems where it wouldnt wake during a call whatsoever but that was back on .42 IIRC.

billbond4 wrote: »
    You could be right, im hearing that it maybe released soon.
    Just waiting for my Xperia P to get JB, but it will be after the Xperia S gets it

New versions have already been certified and XDA members have got their hands on leaked builds(about a month ago) so its at least close to ready if not impending.

• Advertisement

New versions have already been certified and XDA members have got their hands on leaked builds(about a month ago) so its at least close to ready if not impending.

I am currently with Vodafone and I havent flashed my phone yet. I think my android version is something like 2.3.7 . Does anyone have any instructions on how to flash the phone so I can install the latest version of android?

I am currently with Vodafone and I havent flashed my phone yet. I think my android version is something like 2.3.7 . Does anyone have any instructions on how to flash the phone so I can install the latest version of android?

Get flashtool and .2.55 firmware. All available on XDA or XDA Fileserver(completely different site, not affiliated).

Get flashtool and .2.55 firmware. All available on XDA or XDA Fileserver(completely different site, not affiliated).

Cool Thanks for that

What FW you on? I had problems where it wouldnt wake during a call whatsoever but that was back on .42 IIRC.

FW version is 2.45

Should I have a newer version?

FW version is 2.45

Should I have a newer version?

Depending on branding you may or may not be offered it from pc companion, but you can grab it manually with flashtool as above.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭mrs aol

Has anybody got the update?

Nope, no sign of it on XDA earlier either. Was just more BS. Who knows when we'll get it.

Piece of junk phone
    I was having lots of issues and major lag so I did a basic settings reset (not a full factory reset) and ever since I can’t get mobile data to work
    Any ideas how I can get it working?

I will hook the phone up to PC Companion tonight and see if that helps but I am seriously on the verge of going back to a HTC Legend in place of this junk.

Not sure about the Flashtool as I don’t want the hassle of all this rooting and flashing stuff all I want is a phone that works like it should out of the box

Unfortunately few android phones are flawless out of the box, even the nexus' have some issues from time to time.

If sony gets the AOSP deal with google going then the XS may be come essentially a nexus device, but we havent heard much about that in a long while.

I know you shouldnt have to tui0hcg, but if you put in ~30 minutes into wiping and updating, you should have a lot less issues.

I'll give you the steps to start with:
    1. Root current FW
    2. Use Titanium Backup to back everything up to SD
    3. Copy TB folder to PC for safety
    4. Factory reset Phone.
    5. Connect to PC Companion, if it offers .2.55 update with that, if it doesnt then use flashtool(depends on what network you bought from).
    6. Root again
    7. Restore with Titanium Backup - Important, dont restore everything, just your own apps, accounts, launcher, contact data, wallpaper. You dont want to restore the system settings as changes in the FW and using old settings causes bugs.

Tools:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2204321 - Root tool for 2.55, should work for the older version you are on now, but if not
    here http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2219781 is an alternative rooter that should.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.keramidas.TitaniumBackup

Regarding the Data connection settings, you probably wiped the APNs, you can add them manually or the Sony first time setup app finds them automatically(handy as fuark).

If you have any questions lemme know. Once you get used to using TB its an extremely powerful tool to have. Every month or two I do a full backup and push it to drobpox meaning that if my phone was ever stolen I still have all my app data etc, as well as the stuff like contacts that google syncs.

The XS may be a pain SW wise but its just gorgeous hardware, hate to see people be put off.

Thanks for all the info:D

I will give it a go soon and see if I can get it working.

Only thing is that this all takes time – time I really don’t want to spend on a phone that cost a small fortune.

It is a really nice bit of hardware but Sony software lets it down – then again maybe that’s Sony implementation of Android for ya....it’s perfect if you want to tinker around with it but all I want is to be able to install apps I use and have a smooth running phone that wont pack up every 6 or 8 weeks. Same kinda stuff happens with the other Sony phones (U and Tipo) we have in the house and I am not going to go and root them. We also have a 7 inch Samsung Tab 2 and an Archos android radio and they work away fine without this kinda crap so it leads me to believe that it’s the Sony FW that’s causing issues.
    We have had HTC phones in the past too and other than the original Desire running out of space for apps it never gave problems. HTC Legend was just that..... a Legend!

• Advertisement

IDD, Sonys developers are shooting the entire company in the foot. They need to release less models and spend more time on supporting fewer handsets.

HTC sense has had its issues too(generally too heavy back in the day) as has Touchwiz(Samsung), but they've improved where sony hasnt :(

My second phone and every phone since has been SE/Sony, this will probably be the last though(Nexus 5 will be my next).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Ahh, hopefully they made that on hard info.

S should be getting it before the GO, f'ckers.

Regarding the Data connection settings, you probably wiped the APNs, you can add them manually or the Sony first time setup app finds them automatically(handy as fuark)..

Used the set up and it sorted my data connection - thanks a million. Going to look at Rooting over the weekend.

Question.
    If I root and install .2.55 via Flashtool do I really need the Titanium Backup?

I have all my photos/videos/music and stuff on my PC already and I dont mind having to set up things like Gmail an wallpaper and the few apps I use regularly. Whats the advantage of the Titanium?

Used the set up and it sorted my data connection - thanks a million. Going to look at Rooting over the weekend.

Question.
    If I root and install .2.55 via Flashtool do I really need the Titanium Backup?

I have all my photos/videos/music and stuff on my PC already and I dont mind having to set up things like Gmail an wallpaper and the few apps I use regularly. Whats the advantage of the Titanium?

If you dont care about any of your app data then none really. I have 140 user apps and some of them (games, widget apps, data monitors) I care about the data for, a clean install is a pain. If you are the kind of person who mainly uses stock apps and not much else then just do it manually.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40110461&postcount=525

Oh, ohhhh. Hmmm. Doomlord is a long time sony dev and is pretty much always right. *rubs hands together*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,081 ✭✭✭batistuta9

billbond4 wrote: »

in the comments...
    the_black_dragon • 10 hours ago
    ehm guys... that is the Carrer timetable for BRANDED devices... not the sony timetable for free devices...
    17 •Reply•Share ›

Emmanuel van den Brûle the_black_dragon • 9 hours ago
    At least one guy optimistic... Hope you're right
    7 •Reply•Share ›

the_black_dragon Emmanuel van den Brûle • 9 hours ago
    I just trust informations from DooMLoRD (one of the Cyanogenmod/FXP develoeprs) who said it will arrive end of this week... he is very Close with some sony developers
    9 •Reply•Share ›

zaid the_black_dragon • 8 hours ago
    me too i hope DooMLoRD is right
    5 •Reply•Share ›

Pontus the_black_dragon • 8 hours ago
    Yeah, my carrier in Sweden (3) are SUUUUUPER slow with updates but we get it week 17!
    4 •Reply•Share ›

Jonas Johansson Pontus • 7 hours ago
    Super slow? My XV gets the updates one-two days after sony releases it and i have the same carrier and live in the same country as you...... I would rather call them suuuuuper fast...... :)
    0 •Reply•Share ›

fanboygotstuck the_black_dragon • 5 hours ago
    Last time i check that "end of next week" was posted lastweek there are a lot of "by the end of this week" dude, this week will be the 2nd by the end of this week. Good thing i got rid of my ion and never experience this same old sony ****
    3 •Reply•Share ›

the_black_dragon fanboygotstuck • 3 hours ago
    las thursday he said "end of next week"... so end of THIS week
    0 •Reply•Share ›

Lucian the_black_dragon • 4 hours ago
    true, he was right many times.
    0 •Reply•Share ›

not sure what he means by free devices, assuming he means SIM free & he's talking about a generic ROM being put out

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=40110461&postcount=525

Oh, ohhhh. Hmmm. Doomlord is a long time sony dev and is pretty much always right. *rubs hands together*

was just posting that from the comments section of the other link

Free devices means unbranded. Once that comes out we can all just flash it if we want to, we just wont get it over the air or from PC companion till Three/02/Metor etc have had their way with it(usually a few months ^^).

• Advertisement

Free devices means unbranded. Once that comes out we can all just flash it if we want to, we just wont get it over the air or from PC companion till Three/02/Metor etc have had their way with it(usually a few months ^^).

your better going with the generic's anyway aren't you, if your not putting a custom ROM on

Advertisement