Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rooms in Goldsmith Hall?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mathew

I was in 70.2 two years ago, you'd be two floor above me but identical layout.

5 rooms, big kitchen / living room facing pearse but the rooms face out onto an alleyway looking at new BioSc building. They're pretty quiet which is nice, but for some reason our flat was ALWAYS too hot and the windows only tilt in so there's no ventilation which sucks, I'd say yours will be even worse as heat rises...

Advantages are you don't face the courtyard and are away from security so you'll get away with having people over / small parties a lot
    Thanks for that!
    Have you any idea about the rooms themselves? Are there some big/small ensuite/shared bathroom? Any idea which rooms are which?

Bring one. You will be a popular flatmate.
    Good thing my house recently acquired one we don't need!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mattysullivan

Bit of a bump there...

but if anyone does know about GS, how about 71.2? :P

I'm in 71.2 next year! I went to visit - it's a 7 person apartment. Kitchen has two cookers and two sinks (sounds industrial but it's very nice!) - the storage is wooden and more mod than most of goldsmith. 2 bathrooms.

I'm Max by the way - hello!

I'm in 71.2 next year! I went to visit - it's a 7 person apartment. Kitchen has two cookers and two sinks (sounds industrial but it's very nice!) - the storage is wooden and more mod than most of goldsmith. 2 bathrooms.

I'm Max by the way - hello!
    Haha hi roomie! Fancy this being our first introduction :P That's good I'm glad it's nice! So excited to move in!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

Anyone know anything about 68.4, does the 4 mean its on the fourth floor?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

mercury127 wrote: »

Yes, odd room numbers in that apartment face the courtyard whilst even ones face Pearse St.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tehjimmeh

I lived there for a year. It was ok.

The rooms do vary in their niceness. Some have double beds and are more spacious, others don't. Some have ensuites and some have horrible, tiny, shared bathrooms. Some kitchens are also bigger and better laid out than others. Unfortunately, it's hard to tell without knowing someone who's lived there before.

Also, when I was there, there was no wifi. It was a right pain in the ass having to use a cable.

The sacrifices you make re: freedom to have whoever you want over whenever you want, having parties when you want etc. are really quite annoying and should be given due consideration too. They might not be worth it if you consider that you don't even get to live on campus proper. (that said, sneaking people in is way easier in Goldsmith)

IMO, if you're a scholar or are somehow otherwise getting it for free, I'd probably take it (although were I to do it again, I might have considered what I could have gotten elsewhere for cash in lieu of rooms). If you're not, I'd definitely consider other options. You're really just getting a very conveniently located, but overpriced, low quality apartment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 karenjanenora

This is a very long shot but...anyone in 9.2? Front square....I had applied for rubrics and don't know who I'm living with now!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mercury127

BlueCam wrote: »
    Yes, odd room numbers in that apartment face the courtyard whilst even ones face Pearse St.
    Thanks! I'll be facing onto pearse street then, hope it doesn't get too loud at rush hour. Any idea how many people live in that apartment?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Sir Ophiuchus

tehjimmeh wrote: »
    (although were I to do it again, I might have considered what I could have gotten elsewhere for cash in lieu of rooms)

Less than you might think. Cash in lieu of rooms isn't a lot compared to the cost of rent.

• Advertisement

Less than you might think. Cash in lieu of rooms isn't a lot compared to the cost of rent.
    Well, it's about half the normal cost of rooms AFAIK, which would be around e285 per month for 9 months, I think. If you took it and got somewhere that was, say, e400 per month (which I think is realistic based on past conversations with friends), you'd be only paying e115 per month for rent for the academic year, which is pretty damn good.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭SueGrabbit

Two friends of mine were offered Goldsmith, when they applied for New Square and didn't get it. ?? They both have declined the offer.

It can't be that bad right?

Thanks! I'll be facing onto pearse street then, hope it doesn't get too loud at rush hour. Any idea how many people live in that apartment?

4 people. Can get quite loud, yes.

SueGrabbit wrote: »
    Two friends of mine were offered Goldsmith, when they applied for New Square and didn't get it. ?? They both have declined the offer.

It can't be that bad right?

People's opinions seem to vary a lot. I actively preferred Goldsmith, as I've said.

It's true that Goldsmith is actually quite a bit better than some on-campus accommodation. Some older New Square and Rubrics apartments I've seen are pretty awful (shared bathrooms with cubicles... :/ ). It does have a bit of an undeserved reputation in this respect, although some people would value being able to walk right out onto campus proper to outweigh other factors.

tehjimmeh wrote: »
    Some older New Square and Rubrics apartments I've seen are pretty awful (shared bathrooms with cubicles... :/ ).

...yep.
    It does have a bit of an undeserved reputation in this respect, although some people would value being able to walk right out onto campus proper to outweigh other factors.

That's what the overpass is for. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Rhadamanthus

That's what the overpass is for. :)

About that overpass, it connects into the Sports Centre building, right? So I'm assuming that you can only use it during the hours the Sports Centre is open?

Might seem like a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there's an outside chance of swipe card access or something.

It does not connect to the sports centre and it's open 24/7.

About that overpass, it connects into the Sports Centre building, right? So I'm assuming that you can only use it during the hours the Sports Centre is open?

Might seem like a stupid question, but I'm wondering if there's an outside chance of swipe card access or something.

It goes "through" the sports centre but isn't actually connected to it. The door for the overpass is to the left of the main sports centre entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

I lived in 67.4 which is on the same landing, shared stairwell etc. They are nice but 4th floor means the kitchen window only opens a few inches and the kitchens get very hot due to the fact that the sun shines right into them.

Just on the whole courtyard/ Pearse street comparison. The courtyard may be quieter but the view is crap. Pearse street facing rooms have a much better view over so much of the city and it's not noisy when the window is closed.

IMO Goldsmith is nicer than botany bay and new square. Also, so many of the rooms are single with a double bed, awesome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

They're pretty quiet which is nice, but for some reason our flat was ALWAYS too hot and the windows only tilt in so there's no ventilation which sucks, I'd say yours will be even worse as heat rises...
    You can "fix" the windows fairly easy, the locks are only very basic. For example I used a regular money-box key in mine when I lived there. Close the window and turn the key, the windows then swing open rather than tilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 michaelkwiz

Hi,

could someone do me a massive favour and tell me about room 66.4.3. I understand it is on the fourth floor, but where does it face? is it single bed? double bed? ensuite? what is the apartment like? how many people?

any info would be greatly appreciated!

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Fringe

Odd rooms face into the courtyard. Not sure if it's single or double but you'll be sharing a bathroom with one other person. I think I've been in that apartment before and it's a 4 person apartment that's pretty similar to the other ones in Goldsmith.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 michaelkwiz

Thanks very much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Omhughes

Hi,

could someone do me a massive favour and tell me about room 66.4.3. I understand it is on the fourth floor, but where does it face? is it single bed? double bed? ensuite? what is the apartment like? how many people?

any info would be greatly appreciated!

Mike.

Hi Mike, did you live in 66.4.3. What is it like?

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Jasnah

Bit of a long shot, but anyone know what the apartment 34.5 on New Square is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Muggwoffin

Anybody have any idea what apartment 70.3 in Goldsmith Hall is like?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rugby12

Anyone know anything about 69.3.02? Gimme some gooood newsss!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 aspiringmedic

Ok I know this is ten years old or so but I would really appreciate any help! I just got assigned 71.01.07, is that an en-suite or standard shared bathroom?

many thanks!!☺️

• Advertisement
Advertisement