Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

** ALL ** Passport Related Questions in here! Please Read Post#1 first!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Anto123

About 3 weeks ago the action was on and a friend of mine got a passport issued the next day after showing proof of travel for a holiday. You need to have the old passport to submit though.

If it's important you should probably go in to the office in person (or get someone else to) and ask. You won't have much luck getting through to them on the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

Thanks Anto123, thats what he is planning to do, he is going to have to fly home from the ME for 24hrs to go to the office, i was just afraid it would be a blanket No Way for anything other than family emergencies/deaths/illness, although, it is an emergency for us, cos if he cant travel for business, he doesnt get paid, and we are broke....our bills wont wait for the passport office to get their act together.

Fingers crossed it wont be a wasted journey home for him, and a very expensive passport application at that! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Alonso69

Cherrycola wrote: »
    Thanks Anto123, thats what he is planning to do, he is going to have to fly home from the ME for 24hrs to go to the office, i was just afraid it would be a blanket No Way for anything other than family emergencies/deaths/illness, although, it is an emergency for us, cos if he cant travel for business, he doesnt get paid, and we are broke....our bills wont wait for the passport office to get their act together.

Fingers crossed it wont be a wasted journey home for him, and a very expensive passport application at that! :rolleyes:

Hi, i work in passport office. I would advice your husband do NOT fly home as he will NOT get his passport. its taking 12-15 days at the moment and as BuffyBot stated medical emergencies/deaths only :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭BennyLava

Where did the post I replied to goto :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Folks, stick to the topic... Save the rants for elsewhere.

I've locked one thread already due to a rant by it's op and deleted a couple of posts from here. The merits or lack of same of the work to rule are not for this forum. This thread is about what services are available or withdrawn in the passport office.

Next person trying to drag the thread off topic will get a ban.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

Not a rant, just looking for information. My passport is up on 25th May. I’ve been aware of this, but haven’t had the chance to apply for a new one in the past months because I have always needed it. For instance, going to an interview in Gibraltar last week. I’ve now been offered the job and would be looking to go before Easter. What is the best thing for me to do? The last time I got a passport I was living in Germany, but got my new passport in Luxembourg, which was fine as I could wait for it and didn’t need the passport to cross Schengen borders. But I’ll be living in Spain but crossing the border every day to Gibraltar so I’ll need it every day. Would this be seen as urgent enough?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

No - as has been advised, medical emergencies/family deaths etc are the only things getting priority right now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 RunSwift

In passport office today and told by officers that I will more than likely be refused travel on my current passport. Not in that bad of state but got wet and the photograph is lifting.

So have to get a new passport. travelling on 24th and the earliest they could guarantee was the 29th. The woman did say it may be ready a few days earlier but she didn't think as early as the 23rd.

Just wondering (out of sheer desperation) if anyone was in a similar situation and if they received their passport early?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mopsey

I sent in my passport before the industrial action upped and have since been told by 2 different people in the office that it won't be ready in time for flying out. It will take minimum 15 days, and with Patrick's day, day 15 is the day I fly out. I contacted the office and AN POST the day I was submitting as I had heard there was a 'Go Slow' on, but they both assured me they were still guaranteeing the service. I paid the extra for the service and 2 days later they announce this stoppage.

I needed to get it updated as there wasn't 6 months left on it. I was told from the office, we're really sorry but it won't be done, and you're powerless, there's nothing that can be done to get this in time.

I had to use my passport in Feb so was unable to send it any earlier. I am losing out on a big holiday which has been planned for some time, it is a big expense and my travel insurance will not cover this. Were going to be down well over 1.5 thousand euro each with flights etc, ruining it for my mother and I.

I can't get my old passport back even...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Cherrycola

• Advertisement

Cherrycola infracted. Pointless comment removed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 367 ✭✭I Drink It Up!

Hi there.

I went to the effort of travelling all the way to Dublin Airport after the FIASCO in Molesworth street this morning.

I explained I was getting a flight from Dublin to London and that the reservation email made mention of the ID required, specifically Passport, Drivers Licence, and......"bus pass". They said the Bus Pass was fine on Aer Lingus flights from Dublin to London.

I went back into Dublin Bus and paid €3.50 for a plastic ID with my name and photo on it.

Is it really the case that I can travel to the UK on this?

It is this kind of ID:

Photo-Id.jpg

I also applied for an age card from the Gardai...but they said they will be 3 weeks getting it sent out. Jaysus.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I thought you needed a passport now?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,186 ✭✭✭kensutz

Won't have a hope with that bus pass

Nah spoke to two Aer Lingus employees and they both said that the Passport was not essential.

So just what do they mean by a "bus pass"??

:confused::confused:

Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

That isn't a bus pass, thats a CIE ID and will not do since the information you provide is not validated against any other source, such as birth cert.

Boston wrote: »
    That isn't a bus pass, thats a CIE ID and will not do since the information you provide is not validated against any other source, such as birth cert.

Okay so how do I get the bus pass?

Is that only for OAP?

Thanks again.

Drugies, the disabled, and old people.

Drugies, the disabled, and old people.

Okay. Marvellous. Thanks.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 24,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Aer Lingus wrote:
    1. Passport 2. Drivers licence with photo 3. International student card 4. National ID card
    5. Bus pass with photo 6. Work ID with photo

Any of the above. What you're getting from Dublin Bus is NOT a bus pass - they mean something issued by the Department of Social and Famly Affairs.

• Advertisement

BuffyBot wrote: »
    Any of the above. What you're getting from Dublin Bus is NOT a bus pass - they mean something issued by the Department of Social and Famly Affairs.

Can't get a passport because in a country with 400,000 unemployed some grots in the Civil Service have decided they aren't being paid enough.

Don't have a motor, hence no licence.

Not a student...am an unemployed labourer trying to get to London for 24 hours in April.

Don't have a bus pass and just applied for ID from the Guards, who say they need 3 weeks.

Now, I will try the grots on Molesworth St again on Thursday. Suffice it to say there will be a queue like the sales.

Suppose that fails...I need to be in London for my sisters wedding. Is there any sailing+train or something like that I can get done with no passport?

Cheers, and thanks for all the replies.;)

The garda "ID" is not a national ID, it's an age card and you cannot travel on it. You best bet is to do the mail order passport.

The garda "ID" is not a national ID, it's an age card and you cannot travel on it. You best bet is to do the mail order passport.
    That service is suspended due to the industrial action, Boston.

You could be check though, going into england or coming back. You may end up being held by customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Can't get a passport because in a country with 400,000 unemployed some grots in the Civil Service have decided they aren't being paid enough.

:rolleyes: That's not why they've been striking at all. Perhaps you should learn the facts before you go slagging them off?

"The Passport Office on Molesworth Street in Dublin is expected to reopen on Thursday after it was closed due to flooding.

Staff at the office discovered the flooding, which was caused by a burst pipe, when they turned up for work this morning."

You have plenty of time to get a passport before April. If you decide not to fly, there's a Rail & Sail service (about 40 euro each way) to London.

eth0_ wrote: »
    :rolleyes: That's not why they've been striking at all. Perhaps you should learn the facts before you go slagging them off?

"The Passport Office on Molesworth Street in Dublin is expected to reopen on Thursday after it was closed due to flooding.

Staff at the office discovered the flooding, which was caused by a burst pipe, when they turned up for work this morning."

You have plenty of time to get a passport before April. If you decide not to fly, there's a Rail & Sail service (about 40 euro each way) to London.

Yes, I was outside the office today, at 07:30........so there. And they were all inside, having a laugh, except for one desperate chap, with trembly hands and spittle on his chin whom they sent out to talk to us? Were you there? Well then. :rolleyes:

Mr.S wrote: »
    Get the bus to London from Dublin, no ID is checked on ferrys. Think its something like 55euro 1 way?

https://194.106.151.95/EurolinesPublic/EurolinesPublicWebApp/EuroPublicTravelDetails.aspx

Takes about 12hours though.

Cheers, and thanks for your helpful reply. It is starting to look like that option more and more. Many thanks Mr.S:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 allyb

Hi all,

For me its been 15 days waiting for passport express and still awaiting processing.
    lost 2.5K today had to cancel holiday at last min.

All the services still remain but the turn around times for passports is the prob.

With more industrial action inevitable...one could question will the backlogs ever get cleared??

:mad:
    allyb

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Yes, I was outside the office today, at 07:30........so there. And they were all inside, having a laugh, except for one desperate chap, with trembly hands and spittle on his chin whom they sent out to talk to us? Were you there? Well then. :rolleyes:

Why were you there at 7.30am when the passport office doesn't open until 9.30...?

They also weren't striking today, they were closed due to flooding, as announced on RTE news.

When they did/do strike, it's because the lower paid workers in the offices are getting screwed over with pay cuts, while management stay on the same level of pay. I think they're perfectly entitled to strike for one afternoon a week and i'd do the same if I were in their position.

As I said previously, you have plenty of time to get to the passport office before April!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78,234 ✭✭✭✭Victor

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0317/1224266441909.html
    Passport Office shut by flooding
    ALISON HEALY

DISRUPTION: THE PASSPORT Office on Dublin’s Molesworth Street was closed to the public yesterday after extensive floods caused by a burst pipe.

Staff reporting for work in the morning discovered the flooding. The office will stay shut today, as is normal for St Patrick’s Day, but it was unclear yesterday whether it would reopen tomorrow.

A spokesman for the Department of Foreign Affairs said it was awaiting advice from the OPW on reopening the public office.

He said the closure of the public office would not cause major disruption, as most passports were processed in Balbriggan. The Passport Office in Cork was also processing applications, he said.

People who expected to collect passports from Molesworth Street yesterday were redirected to Hainault House, at 69-71 St Stephen’s Green. The spokesman said this advice would apply tomorrow if the Passport Office was still shut.

He said any citizen who needed a passport “on a genuine emergency basis” should report to Iveagh House, 80 St Stephen’s Green, Dublin. He said those awaiting passports should check the department’s dfa.ie website and the media for updates.

The closure follows disruption to passport services due to industrial action. Staff protesting over public sector pay cuts withdrew from public counters on a number of occasions in recent weeks.

Fine Gael spokesman on foreign affairs Billy Timmins said the industrial action at the office had been “increasingly frustrating” for hundreds of people. “Today’s flooding emergency has added to the chaos and the contingency measures put in place by the Department of Foreign Affairs are simply not good enough,” he said.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement