Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Why are people so fearful of burglaries at night?

• 05-05-2012 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭

statistics ironically show that over night is one of the least likely timeframes for an intruder to enter your house and it makes perfect logical sense. Alarms tend to be on at that time, out of the ordinary sounds are more noted and people are more likely to view you as suspicious if you're seen in the area at that time.

The most likely time you are to be burgled is during the middle of the day, you can survey the premises without suspicion, there's going to be less or no people in the targetted house and even if there is with TV and everything else its a lot easier to drown out noise you might be causing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

because its dark

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭Brandog

Because you're asleep and vulnerable???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭Daveysil15

Everything is scarier at night including burglaries

• Registered Users Posts: 10,572 ✭✭✭✭brummytom

You're more likely to be burgled while you're asleep than when you're sitting in the living room watching Corrie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

Why are people so fearful of burglaries at night ?

Because you're more vulnerable when you're sleeping soundly in your bed & the fear of someone entering your safe zone when you're at your most vulnerable stems from a basic primal instinct methinks

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

a lot of people out the country are afraid of aggravated burglaries at night

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭DonQuay1

statistics ironically show that over night is one of the least likely timeframes for an intruder to enter your house and it makes perfect logical sense. Alarms tend to be on at that time, out of the ordinary sounds are more noted and people are more likely to view you as suspicious if you're seen in the area at that time.

The most likely time you are to be burgled is during the middle of the day, you can survey the premises without suspicion, there's going to be less or no people in the targetted house and even if there is with TV and everything else its a lot easier to drown out noise you might be causing.

You only get burglaries at night.

During the day - you get break-ins.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Maldesu

Sounds like you have experience. :D

Serious though, during the day most people are at work, so the house security is 'out of sight, out of mind'. The annoyance of the day probably overrides any concern for your TV or other shiny things.

Night time you are in the location, its quieter and you focus more on what you hear outside. It's also the time when you are at your most vulnerable, tucked up in your bed, maybe in some PJ's or arse naked, bare feet and the closest thing you have for a weapon is your iPhone. You hear a noise in the middle of the night, the first thing you do it try figure out what it is and what your supposed to do :-

So you run down the stairs, bellowing at the top of your lungs, barge through the doors (barely noticing that your TV is just fine) to arrive in the kitchen where your 6 year old is staring at you wide eyed, terrified and covered in chocolate.... and your standing in the broken glass of a Nutella jar. :eek:

So, why are we fearful, because we usually don't have a clue as to what the hell is going on and we think the big box on the door will scare away the bad thieving people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭Praetorian Saighdiuir

Ghost Burglars!! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

People are right to be more scared of night-time burglaries.

I've had my house broken into twice (different houses) once during the day, they just forced the front door open, which was bad enough but the most traumatic one was when we were burgled whilst asleep in our beds.

Came down in the morning to utter devastation in the lounge and kitchen. I always thought I'd wake up if anyone broke in but we all slept through it, and judging by the mess, they must've made some noise. In retrospect I'm glad none of us woke up, who know's what could've happened if one of us had gone downstairs.

We were lucky both times, they seemed to be just looking for cash (skagheads most likely) they didn't take anything large, not even the laptop or phones but the thought of someone in your house while you sleep soundly in your bed is horrific and not something I ever want to go through again. Finding my handbag and it's contents strewn accross the back garden was the worst thing. A lady's handbag is a sacred personal item and to this day I always take my handbag to bed with me and put it in my bedside locker.

Sleep well folks :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

because at night they are taken by suprise and are more sleepy and vunerable at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Has happened to me

And I wouldn't say it's fear but it's downright fooking outrage then someone came in and stood over me while I was asleep

You could not be more vulnerable
    And it's being vulnerable that's the difference. Not sure would I say feel violated but something along that line

• Registered Users Posts: 23,973 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

When junkies are burgling, they don't know whether it's day or night, and they also don't care if anyone's in or not. All they want is to find your Apple product so that they can get a few quid for a quick fix.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Lock all downstairs internal doors going to bed, invest in some Personal protection equipment (Not the kind you get in the chemist :D ) if somebody gets in they are confined to one room and you have the advantage of having something in your hand pointing in their direction when you open the door

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

mikemac1 wrote: »

..then someone came in and stood over me while I was asleep

Now that would scare the living b'jaysis out of me, I don't think I would ever sleep again :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭PK2008

Because you touch yourself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Has happened to me

And I wouldn't say it's fear but it's downright fooking outrage then someone came in and stood over me while I was asleep

You could not be more vulnerable
    And it's being vulnerable that's the difference. Not sure would I say feel violated but something along that line

I'd say that is scary alright. What did they do when you woke up and saw them there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

my dog sleeps bye the door and patrols the house at night... thats what a dogs for, a deterrent and if the dumb fvcks still try break in there just stupid...

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

I've no strong fear of burglaries or break-ins tbh.
    Theres not much worth taking. x-box, fta-satellite box, tv is old and bulky....thats it ...bar the hoover.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Recessionbust

Chamone MF wrote: »
    bar the hoover.

You should keep that locked away otherwise you are just giving them a clean get away :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The closure of rural garda stations started long ago and tbh was going on before we even entered the recession.
    Loads of them closed during the Celtic Tiger

In some ways it might even be short sighted as the local garda knew everyone and could prevent issues. Like which farmers had valuable machinery and were there suspicious cars following the oil delivery man around and so on

If you have an emergency how is the squad from town going to find you up the hill, in the townland past the parish, before the reservoir but past the national school?
    That's where I live :)

We don't have post-codes and if you need a squad car at night they might never come or be over an hour away

At least the local garda lived with you and knew who you were
    If you're from a rural village you probably know what I mean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

So many horror stories of people bringing bags, car keys etc. to bed with them, and being woken up by scumbags threatening them. I have even heard stories of people realising jewellery had been taking from their room while they slept:eek:. It would be very hard to feel safe in your bed again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭HarryPotter41

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭H2UMrsRobinson

So many horror stories of people bringing bags, car keys etc. to bed with them, and being woken up by scumbags threatening them. I have even heard stories of people realising jewellery had been taking from their room while they slept:eek:. It would be very hard to feel safe in your bed again.

oh good lord, what do I do with the handbag now !!!:eek:

loft hatch ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 112 ✭✭someuser905

on monday at 4am i was woken by someone trying to get in my back door, i came down and he jumped over back wall
    called the garda... they didnt come
    im getting razor wire for the walls and buying some weapons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

farmers out the country often have a dog outside and a shotgun beside the bed
    in case anyone calls

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭mongdesade

M cebee wrote: »
    farmers out the country often have a dog outside and a shotgun beside the bed
    in case anyone calls

Not just farmers out the country, my 12 gauge aids restfull sleep ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭cade

From my own experience the two times my house has been targeted was during the night.

The other four burglaries and four car thefts in my estate in the last year have all happened at night.

There's only been one instance during the day when a guy opened my back gate, walked up my garden towards my house while everyone else was out. He stopped in his tracks and started spewing something about wanting to ask directions when he noticed me staring at him from another corner of the garden. He made a quick retreat when I started questioning his actions.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

In the last house I lived in I often couldn't sleep for fear of someone breaking in. I don't care about stuff being stolen more worried about something happening to my kids or myself. I know a girl whose flat was broken into while she was asleep and the guy beat the crap out of her in her bed. He was a complete stranger to her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Chamone MF wrote: »
    I've no strong fear of burglaries or break-ins tbh.
    Theres not much worth taking. x-box, fta-satellite box, tv is old and bulky....thats it ...bar the hoover.

Read the papers and see that old rural dwellers with even less material possessions than you have had their most precious asset - their life - taken by intruders who either panicked when someone woke up, or else tortured their victim to death in the belief they would tell where the money was hidden.:eek:

I can't get a gun, but I'm very handy with a knife and always have one near my bed. Even if the bastards kill me, I hope the Gardai will have the wit to check the blood on the floor for DNA. As likely as not, it won't all be mine.:):)

http://www.apr-tuote.com/images/puukko5.jpg

Advertisement