Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

brand new laptop help ?

• 11-02-2009 2:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭

i have a brand new toshiba laptop & it requires vista to run . i have not even turned it on yet so i was wondering if i could install an xp disc & run that on it ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ITDept

I don't think this will work. You may end up with 2 operating systems but still only see 1 (Vista) unless you do some jiggery pokery. Is there a reason why you don't want to run Vista?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What's the problem exactly? Turn it on and i'm guessing it will have some version of vista installed. Happy days!
    If you want XP go ahead, but these days i really wouldn't bother, xp is less secure and windows wont be supporting it all that much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 hannah29

Its fairly easy to downgrade to xp but why downgrade to an inferior OS thats nearly 8 years old when you paid for vista?

Don't believe the crap from idiots trying to run it on 512mb of ram and an ancient Pentium 4 and then say it runs slow, modern OS on modern hardware!!!.

Just try it out, you won't EVER go back to xp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Hating Vista is now out of fashion, it's a good operating system and when you get used to it you won't want to go back. I have XP computers that I'm thinking of upgrading but will probably wait till windows 7.

But it is possible to downgrade if you need to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,010 ✭✭✭besty

Glad to hear some positive feedback on Vista. I've heard nothing but bad things and have a new lappy on the way with Vista.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Fenlig

Every few months i get the temptation to reinstall vista on my machine and I fall for it but its crashes out in most of my games so i normally end up going back to XP simple cos its not trying to tell you how to run your PC.

Only thing that I like about Vista is the fansy design and it seems pretty good at finding drivers for unknown devices other than that its always been a pain.

You can install XP on you laptop but you will need to make sure you have all the XP drivers first. And make sure you have a backup of your vista build.

Advertisement