Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dropped my iBook G4

Options
  • 06-05-2006 2:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭

Well I know I'm accident-prone but this was just ridiculous... going up the stairs carrying cup of tea and my ibook, tripped on the last step, threw tea all over the laptop before dropping it on the floor as I fell over.....

Sounds quite amusing except funnily enough, laptop now won't work. I dried off everything I could, took out keyboard and dried under it, same with battery, all done carefully. Pressed power on buton and I get either nothing or a really light blue screen with a small folder with a ? on it. When I close the laptop the apple at the back stays open....

Basically wondering, will it dry out and be miraculously fine again? Or have I seriously screwed something up? My exams start on Monday *sighs*

Kinda alooking for reassurance but have a bad feeling about it!

edit: At least getting enough of a response to try and re-install the system, which goes fine for a few steps until I try and select a volume to install into..... It doesn't give me the option of my Hard Drive.... so that's where the problem is? Could it be something as small as a loose connection? Failing that buying a new ahrd drive...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

Kinda alooking for reassurance but have a bad feeling about it!

The folder you describe indicated that the computer cannot find a system to boot from. I would try to see if you can boot up from an OSX system CD disc. You might then try to reinstall a new system. However, I would suspect that the Hard Drive is screwed from the fall and at the worst would require you buying an new HD and installing it in the machine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

Well I know I'm accident-prone but this was just ridiculous... going up the stairs carrying cup of tea and my ibook, tripped on the last step, threw tea all over the laptop before dropping it on the floor as I fell over.....

sorry but i found that absolutely hilarious..

i done almost exactly the same thing..
    tip, don't try to get into bed with a powerbook and cup of coffee in each hand..

it's annoying but it may not be as bad as it seems..
    i dried mine out for ages with a hairdryer after the coffee incident, left it in a hotpress face down for 2 days and it still wouldn't work..
    i left it under my bed open face down for a few days while i began to sort out how i was going to replace it.. then, tried it the next week and it was miraculously back to working perfectly again.. couldn't believe it...

i read up on other people doing the same thing and the majority of them say the laptop usually works again after a good drying out.. just give it a few days without the battery in and don't try to boot it up in the meantime.. good luck with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭[nicK]

Asiaprod wrote:
    The folder you describe indicated that the computer cannot find a system to boot from. I would try to see if you can boot up from an OSX system CD disc. You might then try to reinstall a new system. However, I would suspect that the Hard Drive is screwed from the fall and at the worst would require you buying an new HD and installing it in the machine.

i would imagine at the worst, the logic board would be screwed.. which isn't worth the high cost to replace..
    booting from a system cd sounds like a good idea.. but i still recommend further drying out and leaving it for a few days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭mobileplaza

tragic stuff mate,, get it to mactivate & see if it can be fixed.. hopefully

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

[QUOTE='[nicK]but i still recommend further drying out and leaving it for a few days[/QUOTE]

Good point, I missed that bit. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭angeldelight

Updated the progress so far..... still got my fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭spidermonkey

from what i remember reading before the apple hard drives 'sense' when there falling and move the read/write head in the hard drive out of harms way so it doesn't scratch the platters. so its probably the tea that did the damage. so i'd remove the casing if you can and leave it dry out for another few days!. did you ever go swimming with a watch on and no matter how long you left it dry out it it would still fog up? well you have to take it apart other wise you'll do serious damage when you try turning on the power. ring apple and find out

Advertisement