Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

best way to back-up iphoto?

• 26-04-2006 10:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭

Hi.
    can anyone tell me the best way to back up my photos...
    they're not stored in my 'photos' folder, where would i find them?... what format should I save them in... can i compress them? ...

thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

You would find them in your iPhotos folder.
    They are already saved.
    Yes you can compress them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

sinecurea wrote:
    Yes you can compress them.

But since they're probably jpegs - and therefore already compressed - subsequent compression probably won't save you much space. Nothing stopping the OP compressing them, it's just a waste of time and effort IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭m_stan

ghetting back to how best to do it, I personally use some backup software to backup to an external drive every x number of days.

Read here for some recommended software

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭Diarmuid

well seeing as it's a unix based os why not a cron job?
    I have cronjobs that rsync my home account to a remote (cheap linux box) computer everyday. Easy and you can never forget it as you never have to remember it !!

eg
    crontab -e
    0 20 * * * rsync -a /users/whereever remoteuser@remomtehost:/home/backup

and you are done. You could also replace the remotehost with a usb drive.

cf http://www.mikerubel.org/computers/rsync_snapshots/ for more details

Advertisement