Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaeltachts

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭degausserxo

djcervi wrote: »
    Yeah Colaiste arainn mhor is a crap gaeltacht. I didn't think there was a great atmosphere in the place at all. <snip> The focus is a holiday 2bh. Choose Spleodar or Lurgan.

Totally and utterly disagree. Arainn Mhor is amazing - just back from my second course there as ceannaire, seventh course overall. Brilliant atmosphere imo, there's always been a sense of closeness and support between the students, and the teachers all add greatly to it. House competitions, sport competitions, drama competitions, talent competitions - theres loads of stuff to keep everyone busy, and there's so much encouragement to speak Irish, even if you only have a little. They're not strict on Irish in the sense that they won't send you home if you're caught, but there are consequences - can't get a fainne airgead/oir, lose house points etc. - but the language is taken very seriously. College stuff aside; the island is absolutely beautiful, too!

arainnn.jpg

People from the island get involved in the course too; there are always youngins from the island at ceilithe and the bonfire, so there's a deadly sense of community!

I've never been to Lurgan personally, but there were three girls in my house this year who've been there three times and have said that Arainn Mhor is better by far, that there's much more stuff going on and that there's a better sense of fun and more emphasis put on the language, but then again, each to his own.

Which course/when were you in Arainn btw, djcervi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catrice

colaiste acla is not well known but is one of the best irish colleges going.
    staff are nice and ya get to do loads of sports. very friendly atmosphere.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Dante

catrice wrote: »

The problem is you don't speak any Irish there whatsoever.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

catrice wrote: »

1. I would say it is one of the most well known/infamous Irish colleges.

2. Best going? Absolutely not, you will learn a little Irish, yes. Beyond that? Not a chance in hell

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

It's Gaeltachtaí, not Gaeltachts. :rolleyes:

[/pedantry]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 landofdixie

Why not go to Cape Clear?
    Yah, why not. Has great atmosphere, very strict on irish speaking, great activities, great bean an tís , gorgeous new building and what not. safe, clean environment.
    :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 ilovenicotrakie

Hey guy's,

im hoping to go to the galeteacht for my fifth time this year for the four years running ive went to the same gaelteacht and had the best time ever unforch they dont do the same course for thrid years and the same guy who makes the corse btw doesnt do it , so im looking for a galeteacht which is fun, not to strict on irish , quiet and a small group and good place any ideas ? thanks:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Aoibheann.E

hi my friends and i are lookin 4 a gaeltacht in donegal but were finding it hard 2 come across 1 that looks good and reasonable in price :confused: as many gaeltachts in donegal don't have websites and we are sitting the junior cert this summer :(so we want to go 2 1 that is fun, with the irish in there 2! :) and kinda strict bcos i went go colaiste na noilean last summer and found it wasn't strict enough. if you have a idea of a good gaeltacht in donegal i will be pleased if you could write bk :):D

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Baile an Locha

Hey all,
    www.spleodar.com,
    that site will sort everything out for you!!!
    I've gone to three independent courses and they were grand,fun and we learned abit of irish.
    But spleodar coures are unreal fun and you will learn loads of irish!!
    I'l admit they are strict on irish but to be fair,thats what is needed.
    After 2 days you will be speaking irish without even noticing,that's incredible. The classes aswell are really good,even now i use the notes i took in my normal irish class.
    I've gone to 4 and they really are unreal good,
    Any questions and just PM me,
    -John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭happy_feet

I went twice to one that hasnt been mentioned here - Colaisite Mhuigheo in Ceathru Taidhg, in Mayo. 2 of the best summers I ever had!
    Lovely Bean an Ti, she was an absolute ledgend, use to rave with us and all!
    Its quite a small colaiste, which i think is good, because instead of there being all different groups of friends, we were all just friends and all got along!
    Learnt more irish there in 3 weeks then i ever did in school! Whenever i think about it i cant help but smile because theres just soo many good memories! Made me want to study irish at 3rd level!

Gaeilge Abu!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭aliqueenb

colaiste lurgan OF COURSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Aoibheann.E

em is ranafast good?!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Stilla Mellis

Bain triail as na coláistí seo i mbliana. Tá muintir na háite go hálainn agus cloisfidh tú Gaeilge rí-dheas. (rí-dheas? an-deas! an-bhlasta!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ouzie peg

Hi. I have been checking out gaelteachts for my son. He is really struggleing with his Irish. I understand that this is a leaving cert form and my son is only in first year but you seem to have alot of information on the best ones to go to. Could someone give me a bit of advice. He will be going on his own. His interests are in Art, Drama and Watersport. Not so much in Soccer and GAA. Thanks :confused:

If your son enjoys watersports you should consider Coláiste UISCE, Cuan Oilí, Béal an Mhuirtheada, Béal an Átha, Co Mhaigh Eo.

Alternatively try Coláiste Riocard Bairéad, c/o Gael-Linn, ??? , Baile Átha Cliath.

Going to the Gaeltacht requires a bit of preparation if a student is to learn any Irish at all. All this talk of "going for the craic" and "having a ball" is OK but it would be nice to learn some Irish as well. To do that the student needs to know there is someone waiting at home to see what he has learnt and be willing to learn from him. ;)Why not prepare a list of 20, or 30, or 40 phrases in English for which he does not know the Irish and get him to ask Bean an Tí for their local versions. If he collects even 10 such sentences off his own bat during the three weeks he will never forget them and he will want to go back again and again.

Then the Céilí in Eachléim hall has to be the high point of the day - every evening? :DWow!

By the way, don't let the locals speak English to you. :(They will find it easier to make themselves understood in English since you don't know much Irish yet but if they try a bit harder, speak a bit slower, and make the effort to help you they will get more students next year and you will learn more Irish.

Another thing, don't you go around speaking English to all the other students. :mad:They don't want that. They don't expect it. They want to learn Irish. If you are all speaking English among yourselves without a phrase or a sentence in Irish you have failed to take full value from the opportunity presented to you.

I wish I were young again. Ba bhreá liom a bheith [what's the missing word?] arís.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 ClassicCiars

Colaiste na bhfiann Rath Cairn or Ros Muc !! na ghaeltachts is fear sa tir seo agus beidh me mar cinnire !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 668 ✭✭✭ch252

If its watersports he is into then I would recoment coláise uiscee then as mentioned above.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Lurgan in Indreabhan is great. Went before the JC and learnt a ton of Irish and its so much fun. They use all these great computer things too and its a beautiful area. Also @ouzie peg, I wouldn't recommend gaeltacht in 1st year. Everyone is crap at Irish in 1st year, and the gaeltachts usually run a separate, less good program for the first years.

The meaning of the word "Gaeltacht" is "a place where Irish is spoken" -- there used to be "the fíor-Ghaeltacht" where people knew no other language but Irish, then there was "the breac-Ghaeltacht" where some villages were like that, speaking Irish only, and others had "gone all Anglo" and spoke only English. Now there are just "Gaeltacht" and "iar-Ghaeltacht" i.e. once a Gaeltacht long ago but not any more since the houses were all bought be eachtrannaigh who couldn't be bothered to learn the language and the locals, being polite, had to avoid giving the impression that they were talking about these in-comers nor would they embarrass them by asking for Mass in Irish or anything that might upset the new neighbours.

Some Gaeltacht areas are like a building in the dark. You hear nothing but English until someone finds the switch, the electric light comes on and now all is bright. You speak a few words of Irish, enough to let people know you are fluent and want to speak it and Hey! Presto! everyone starts speaking Irish to you and now it is like a cathedral illuminated with son et lumiere. It is all around you. You hear Irish everywhere. Don't be surprised. You're in the Gaeltacht. If you speak only English in the Gaeltacht you'll hear nothing else. You'll come home saying "There's no Irish there." You're wrong.

By the way, the younger you go to the Gaeltacht the better. First Year and Fifth Year are ideal. Second, Third and Sixth Years are good too. Best of all go when you are finished with formal education and exams are no more then you can really enjoy improving your Irish. Go during the winter. Get to know the old people. Invite them up to your home. Record them. Reward them. Be amazed at the richness and colour of their speech and imagery, the extent of their vocabulary, the electrifying sounds of their pronunciation. The closer you get in friendship the better your own command of Irish will be. Give it time. A life-time should be just about right. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

If he likes watersports then send him to cape clear. I went there and loved it. You spend most of the days in the water.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6 catrice

ouzie peg wrote: »
    Hi. I have been checking out gaelteachts for my son. He is really struggleing with his Irish. I understand that this is a leaving cert form and my son is only in first year but you seem to have alot of information on the best ones to go to. Could someone give me a bit of advice. He will be going on his own. His interests are in Art, Drama and Watersport. Not so much in Soccer and GAA. Thanks :confused:

hey try to colaiste acla. its a reall good irish college. they do water sports everyday. its not too big like the others but still get to meet loads of nice people. ive been there loads of times myself and it does really help with your irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭aine92

Ive been in Coláiste Sheosamh in Carna/Cill Chiarain 3 times and I learned SO much irish there and made a load of new friends. The teachers are brilliant as well and there is a load of craic at the ceilis!

I concur, it may sound silly but If its the Irish you're after, this is the place for you!
    And sure the craic is mighty :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 xxlazydogxx

djcervi wrote: »
    Everybody I know who has been there has absolutely hated it. It's very intensive as you have classes in the morning and study in the evening for 2 weeks, except at the weekends. Bru does not foster a love for the language, like other Gaeltacht courses. If you want to learn a lot of Irish I would go to a strict Gaeltacht like Col. na bhfiann, Col. Chamuis or Col. Spleodar, which are known to be strict.

is there a wedsite for that course?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

COLÁISTE LURGAN ALL THE WAY =)
    seriously! couldn't string 2 words together the first time i went there...now i'm almost fluent =) and i'm not just saying that. it's so much more than the irish too - i've made some of my best friends in lurgan, and i've a job there this summer now
    also they have a MASSIVE béim on music there, so if you're in any way musically inclined...lurgan's the place to go ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭ceol18

http://www.lurgan.biz/

there's the lurgan website, there's a page on availability there, i think there's still a few places. cannot recommend this place more!
    but, as many of you have said, an awful lot of irish courses really do depend on what you make of them. if you go just expecting to be spoon fed and come home with great irish you're veeery wrong. the first week is crucial to get into the mindset of at least TRYING to speak irish all the time! you'll know you're doing it right when you start dreaming in irish. ;);)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bowie12

anyone gone to Colaiste O'Doireann on Aran Islands

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

bowie12 wrote: »
    anyone gone to Colaiste O'Doireann on Aran Islands
    Yes, about 14 years ago. The Fear an tí let us stay up 'til 4am to watch the Tyson - Holyfield fight on his (clearly not quite legit satellite receiving) telly. I can just remember my cinnere saying to the múinteoir picking us up the next day "D'ith sé a chluas".*

The school is tiny (I cycled through it about 2 months ago), but it's a great laugh and when it's sunny Inishmór's charms really come out... in winter it's a barren desolate place.

To be honest it's not that different from other gaeltachts around the galway area. A little more encapsulated, smaller (than Coláiste Lurgan for example) and not so strict perhaps. Though the strictness may have changed since I went.

*You probably don't remember but Tyson bit half of Holyfield's ear off in that fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

ceol18 wrote: »
    COLÁISTE LURGAN ALL THE WAY =)
    seriously! couldn't string 2 words together the first time i went there...now i'm almost fluent =) and i'm not just saying that. it's so much more than the irish too - i've made some of my best friends in lurgan, and i've a job there this summer now
    also they have a MASSIVE béim on music there, so if you're in any way musically inclined...lurgan's the place to go ;)

Seriously? :eek: I went there in 1st year and no one spoke Irish. Our cinnera actually told us we could speak English as long as the teachers and banisteoir weren't listening, and she always spoke English to us when we were in our house. I also found most of the girls in my house to be incredibly bitchy and didn't really enjoy it at all. Maybe it's improved since then though.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭Violafy

You can't go wrong with any Coláiste na Bhfiann course. They may be verging on the IRA with their flag salutes and insistance on singing the national anthem 3 times a day, but it's definitely the place where you'll learn the most Irish. Beware of "rang aiffrean" though. :mad:
    Other than that, it's fun enough, although it does get repetitive. Still, if you want to improve your Irish, go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭xclw

I would really recommend Coláiste Uisce in Mayo. www.uisce.ie
    This year Cúrsa E is going to be diansraith meaning it will be geared towards your exams and an intensive irish course. but the beauty if it is you still get to do all the water sports and have brilliant craic :)
    plus i'm going to be of the Ardchinnires there on cúrsa e :D they give everyone the opportunity to go back around halloween and train to be one :)
    I just did my irish oral before easter and i didn't have to study for it at all because when you are there you even start thinking in irish.
    on the downside it is a little expensive and its only 2 weeks but you do get good food and the accommodation is a lot better that other gaeltachts. And you get to do surfing, sailing, archery, windsurfing, kayaking, peer jumping everything there :D

Advertisement