Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cavalier x Poodle or Bichon Frise mix?

• 21-01-2013 1:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi, we are thinking of getting 2 puppies. Looking for medium sized, friendly, mild mannered dogs that are low/none shedding... in doing some research online the crossbreed of a cavalier king charles with either a mini or toy poodle or a bichon frise seems to be a great fit. we are thinking of getting 2 so that they will always have a friend when we are at work/not home. We have a small back garden and live near a park for work but they would live inside primarily.

Do you think this crossbread would be a good fit and / or would you recommend any other types? any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

The thing about crossbreeds is that people give them fancy names like Cockapoo and Cavachon, and charge a fortune for what is, essentially, a mutt. Also, none of the breeds you mentioned would be classed as 'medium', but as 'small'. Unless you're specifically looking for a non-shedding breed because of allergies I'd recommend going to a shelter and letting them know what you're looking for, then they'll be able to let you know if they have something suitable. Breed clubs are good places to start for pedigrees, and occasionally they might be able to put you in touch with someone looking to rehome an older dog.

I'd recommend staying away from Cavaliers and their crosses because not only do they shed but they're riddled with all kinds of problems, from heart to brain, that can cost thousands in vets bills. It's a shame because they're such a lovely dog, but this is what bad breeding does.

I'd also recommend against getting two puppies at the same time as they will bond to each other, not to you, and training can be even more difficult than usual because of this. If you want two dogs then it's better to get one pup then add a second a year or so later, or to adopt two older dogs. If you live near work then getting one pup at a time is definitely do-able as you'd be able to pop home at lunch time to let them out for a wee, and play a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

No on both counts. Paying money for crossbreeds is encouraging puppy farmers in Ireland.

No reputable breeder breeds two different breeds together. The only thing designer dogs are designed to do is rip off unsuspecting people thinking they are getting something special when the dog is in fact a mongrel.

There are plenty of lovely crossbreeds in pounds. A great number of these will die because they have no homes.

I suggest you keep doing your research as you are searching in the wrong place if you think it is ok to get two puppies at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Please do not buy a cross breed online or pay for one. These are puppy farmers and nothing less!!
    If you want a cross breed then go to your local pound or rescue. Do not support these people!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭aisher

Hi, we are thinking of getting 2 puppies. Looking for medium sized, friendly, mild mannered dogs that are low/none shedding... in doing some research online the crossbreed of a cavalier king charles with either a mini or toy poodle or a bichon frise seems to be a great fit. we are thinking of getting 2 so that they will always have a friend when we are at work/not home. We have a small back garden and live near a park for work but they would live inside primarily.

Do you think this crossbread would be a good fit and / or would you recommend any other types? any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I have a cavalier/bichon cross and she is about the size of a cavalier so bigger then the smaller bichon. Her hair is curly and is thick so needs plenty of brushing to stop it matting but it does not shed which was a big plus for us as my son has asthma and I was worried about the hair. We did bring her to a professional groomer at the start but now we use a razor to keep the hair short and we find it easy to manage. She is a real lap dog and likes to sit in your company all the time - she lives indoors and now at almost age 2 can be left in the house alone for a few hours when we are out, she tends to either sit in the window looking out or sleeping on the kids beds. I walk her twice a day and for the rest of the time she is happy to chill out in the house. I have three kids and she is great with them. Not sure I would get two puppies at the same time - she took a few weeks to housetrain and we used a crate - I would worry that with two puppies they might bond more with each other then with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tellmeaboutit

I'm not opposed to going to a pound to adopt a dog - I've been looking online to get an idea about which kind of dog would be suitable for our living situation in an attempt to make a responsible decision.

I just checked out the hours at the pound and will plan to make a trip there on the weekend. We would prefer a low to none shedding dog because my OH has some minor respiratory issues (although not allergic to dogs).

I'm also not opposed to getting older dogs but was leaning toward puppies as we would like to be able to train them and experience the joy of watching them grow.

Any suggestions on other types of dogs that might suit or if you have one of these dogs, how they are? I'm really not into purebreds due to the high strung nature of purebreds I had growing up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Any suggestions on other types of dogs that might suit or if you have one of these dogs, how they are? I'm really not into purebreds due to the high strung nature of purebreds I had growing up.

Different purebred breeds have different attibutes depending on what the breed is designed for. I can certainly say that not all purebreeds are highly strung unless you actully set out to get a very lively breed or dog that still has a strong working ability. I myself have a very lively breed that needs loads of exercise but that suits my lifestyle.

You will also get crossbreeds that are equally lively depending on what breeds are in their ancestry.

Certainly any crossbreeds with Cavaliers can have lovely attibutes of their own ie. extremely serious health issues. The puppy farmers and back yard breeders who produce them certainly don't worry about health testing.

An idea for you might be to be assessed for fostering and then you can take in a rescue dog with a view to keeping the dog if it works out.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I'm really not into purebreds due to the high strung nature of purebreds I had growing up.

This is a myth OP, for every loopy purebred dog, there's a loopy Heinz 57. And for every chilled out purebred, there's a chilled out Heinz 57.
    Another myth is that crossbreeds are healthier. Whilst real mongrels, with a fine mix of different genes, may enjoy better health than purebreds, crossbreeds (a crossing of two purebreds or early-generation crossbreeds) are just as prone to hereditary problems as their parents were.
    Also, if you cross a low-shed breed with a shedding breed, you stand a high chance of some of the offspring being shedders. So, a cross between a Cavalier (high shed) and a Bichon (low-shed) may well shed fairly copiously. But you won't know this until after the pup had developed its adult coat at 6+months of age.
    +1 on not getting two pups together, especially two littermates (particularly same-sex littermates). It is harder to train two, they do indeed tend to bond more with each other than with you, and there is a pretty substantial chance that once they become sexually mature, their relationship will change for the worse. When two littermates decide to fall out, it tends to be very serious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Have to agree with above, I have two pure bred dogs, one is nuts (lovable and quiet in the house but loopy as hell) and the other is so laid back I sometimes have to check for a pulse!

I see Bichons in rescue sometimes, people don't realize the grooming required and they often don't do well left alone. A friend adopted an 8yr old Bichon last year and she is the sweetest little thing, so much fun and very cuddly, but took a few months to come out of her shell.

I would not pay money for a cross breed, anyone breeding them on purpose is only in it for the money, and is not a responsible breeder no matter what they say.

I have two dogs but got them about 10 months apart, the first one was harder to train, the younger one followed his lead and was much easier, but the two at once would have been nuts.

Any good rescue will have a chat and advise what may suit, then you just keep in touch until something comes along that may suit you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Give us an idea of what you want in a dog, OP. What size you'd like, how much you plan on exercising it, that kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 tellmeaboutit

Thanks for all the replies/help! I am listening to everyone's point about getting 2 puppies at once, and we will consider starting with just one -- I just figured when we go to work it would be nice for the two to have each other, but I see the pitfalls..

I guess my experience with pure breds was the former so its kind of hazed my veiw! I still loved those dogs I had growing up but they seemed to cause havoc at times (chewing up an entire door, carpets, being very loud and excitable well into 5+ years of age).

I spoke to my OH and he says that shedding dogs should be fine for him (has them at his parents home) as long as its not excessive... (I'm no dog expert so not sure if there are shedding dogs who shed more than others).

We are looking for a friendly, attentive dog that is able to be trained who (if a puppy) would grow into having a relaxed demeanor. Since we live in a terraced house, we don't want a noisy dog (such as a beagle, even though they are adorable) but one that might scare off an intruder would be fine (not necessary though). Medium sized -- larger than a toy dog but not a full size. We live near to the Phoenix park so we intend on long walks at the weekends with daily outdoor time in our back garden and local walks outside (though shorter than at the weekend, most likely). Living/sleeping inside.

Probably a dog with really long hair would not suit from what I mentioned above.

We have planned to go to a couple shelters on Saturday -- I see there is one in Rathfarnham that opens at 12. Are there any others around Dublin that we should check out?

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Did I hear someone say staffie? :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Did I hear someone say staffie? :rolleyes:

I was sure it was a rough coated whippet lurcher I heard mentioned :-p

Advertisement