Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Acer Aspire 6930

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

It'll play movies fine.
    As for games you won't be able to play any of the newer one's out now at anywhere near high spec but should be just fine at med - low settings

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

What games are you talking about?
    And are you living in the UK? Or did you just pick that link off google, just curious, as prices in IReland wouild be very different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭mcmc

What games are you talking about?
    And are you living in the UK? Or did you just pick that link off google, just curious, as prices in IReland wouild be very different.

Games im talking about would be guild wars and the like. An odd FPS.

Im from and living in Dublin but the argos down here does not have it on its site. Its about 800 brick down here. But i will be taking a spin up to Newry to get this (cheap beer too:pac:).

Thanks for the input lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

That's a good gaming machine spec wise. Definitely not as poor as neomaster suggested - given the relatively low resolution of the screen, most new games would get by on mid to high-ish settings just fine. Something like Guild Wars would run like butter on whatever settings you can throw at it. In fact if that's the extent of your gaming, you might look at cheaper models - something considerably cheaper with a more budget minded video card would still play Guild Wars pretty well, and the occassional FPS at the previously mentioned low-medium settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭neosmaster

By newer games I mean the likes of Crysis and Fallout 3...

I actually have the 8930G with 2.26ghz P8400 and 9700M GT card and mine struggles with Crysis at high settings

But yes TerrorFirmer is right games the like of guild wars will run not a bother...

If you have the cash to spend go for it....Pretty good spec'd machine

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

I have the 6935g with 2.53GHz T9400 and it handles gaming fine

neosmaster wrote: »
    By newer games I mean the likes of Crysis and Fallout 3...

I actually have the 8930G with 2.26ghz P8400 and 9700M GT card and mine struggles with Crysis at high settings

But yes TerrorFirmer is right games the like of guild wars will run not a bother...

If you have the cash to spend go for it....Pretty good spec'd machine

My last cards were Dual 8800GTS 512mb, about 250% faster then the 9700GT, and I couldn't play Crysis at high settings. It's not a great example to be basing your expectations on ;)

Now talk about games like Fallout 3, Call of Duty World at War, Left 4 Dead - and you're talking high settings at the native resolution. They are a more normal indication of average games performance.

Thanks for the replys fellas.

Do you think fallout 3 on low-med setting would run in it?

Going up to get the laptop tomorrow:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

You've picked an outlet, rung ahead, and comfirmed stock levels, yeah? I found it a nightmare to find what I was lookin for up north.

mcmc wrote: »
    Thanks for the replys fellas.

Do you think fallout 3 on low-med setting would run in it?

Going up to get the laptop tomorrow:)

Fallout 3 would run at high settings.

• Advertisement

consultech wrote: »
    You've picked an outlet, rung ahead, and comfirmed stock levels, yeah? I found it a nightmare to find what I was lookin for up north.

Sure have mate. Its the last one in any of the outlets up north. Its being held untill close of business tomorrow night for me.

Cheers everybody.

Hopefully ill have no problem with it but if i do, ill know were to come for help;)

• Registered Users Posts: 18 bstens

I am hoping to pick up an Acer Netbook next week. I've had enough of this recession and am going travelling for the year and think an netbook will be a great asset.

Was looking at this one.http://www.currys.co.uk/martprd/store/cur_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1979732706.1234555006@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccgfadeghfhdhdhcflgceggdhhmdgmi.0&page=Product&fm=1&sm=2&tm=undefined&sku=488071&category_oid=

An Acer Aspire One A150AB 8.9" Blue Netbook
    It seems like a good enough machine. My only qualm is that it runs on Linux which I have no experience with. I will mainly be using it for email and browsing and possibly watching movies. BUt would lik ehte option to use itunes, camera software etc. Would it be possible or necessary to instal a version of Xp on it as I think alot of apps will not run happliy on XP

Advertisement