Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2gb machines, OK?

• 06-02-2016 7:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

Hi I want one only for web browsing,the odd tv show,maybe a little typing. But would it overload easily and potentially become slow quickly? Available for e200 with tesco and have vouchers. Thoughts appreciated, thanks
    S

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,606 ✭✭✭gctest50

you should think of what it will be like in say 2 years time

• Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

I would not run Windows on a 2GB machine these days. Can you provide a link to the machine that you're looking at?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

It will run OK but it will be sluggish at times depending on what you're doing, even in terms of fairly casual use.

I have a Pentium/2GB/Win8 laptop just for taking notes at meetings, it's grand for a few tabs on firefox and typing.

Also be warned a lot of these laptops required you to party disassemble the laptop to replace the ram (many also only have one ram bank). Mine for example requires me to remove the motherboard to get at the ram bank.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

without a link it's hard to comment

for 200 it's probably a netbook or something without a hard drive. basically a tablet with a keyboard. depending on the model it may even be slower than a good mobile phone and just as un-upgradeable , or it could be old stock laptop in which case the biggest problem will be the battery will have lost a bit of capacity due to shelf life.

warning. far too many entry level laptops these days do NOT have a second memory socket :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: nor a socketed CPU ,if it's only got 32/64GB storage then probably safe to assume you won't be able to upgrade that either.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My laptop has 2gig ram,dual core cpu 1.8ghz
    running mint linux, os.
    I use it for web browsing , youtube,music, watching videos,.rte player etc
    it runs fine, i can open 10 plus tabs at the same time .
    i leave at least 4gig free on the hardrive .
    IF you have vouchers ,.i,d say buy it.
    post a link from the tesco website
    Unless its a netbook or a tablet ,it should be possible to upgrade the ram if you wish to ,
    in 2 years time.
    My android phone , has 1gig ram, works fine for basic web browsing,.or watching
    online video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

riclad wrote: »
    My laptop has 2gig ram,dual core cpu 1.8ghz
    running mint linux, os.
    I use it for web browsing , youtube,music, watching videos,.rte player etc
    it runs fine, i can open 10 plus tabs at the same time .
    i leave at least 4gig free on the hardrive .
    IF you have vouchers ,.i,d say buy it.
    post a link from the tesco website
    Unless its a netbook or a tablet ,it should be possible to upgrade the ram if you wish to ,
    in 2 years time.
    My android phone , has 1gig ram, works fine for basic web browsing,.or watching
    online video

2GB RAM is fine for any Linux distro but not for Windows. I'm running Windows 10 on this with one tab in Firefox open and I'm using 1.5GB RAM. A 32 bit installation would use a bit less but 2GB RAM is pretty low for Windows these days, if you want to have a decent experience.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

PropJoe10 wrote: »
    2GB RAM is fine for any Linux distro but not for Windows. I'm running Windows 10 on this with one tab in Firefox open and I'm using 1.5GB RAM. A 32 bit installation would use a bit less but 2GB RAM is pretty low for Windows these days, if you want to have a decent experience.

Windows manages RAM well. I'm running 10 on 2GB and its perfect for browsing. However, I cant really comment on the OP's deal without seeing the spec.

2GB is low, but its just about adequate. And if the RAM is user upgradeable then it could be a runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,548 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Windows manages RAM well. I'm running 10 on 2GB and its perfect for browsing. However, I cant really comment on the OP's deal without seeing the spec.

2GB is low, but its just about adequate. And if the RAM is user upgradeable then it could be a runner.

+1

I'm running W10 on a 9 year old laptop with 2GB of RAM (and an SSD)

It's perfectly fine for light use (browsing / emails), but obviously you should not open a lot of browser windows / tabs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I would not buy any pc unless its got cpu dual core ,2cpu, 1.5ghz.
    video card at least 150meg video ram ,vram ,
    And it must be upgradeable , i can put in another 2gig ram if i want .
    ram is cheap.
    linux is much faster than windows, but casual users don,t use linux .
    Every website works fine on linux. eg rte player, bbc player .
    linux has a full version of the chrome browser .
    My new laptop has 4gig ram,
    the difference i feel is i can open 20 plus tabs in chrome ,windows 7 64bit .
    vs maybe 12 on my older my 2gig laptop .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

At the 200 euro mark, a chromebook is definitely worth a look. I got myself one with 4G and a small SSD. It's still perfect 2 years later (I mean the kids have destroyed it, but it's still going strong).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭Spirogyra

Am now thinking maybe an iPad might be better,larger memory and could take with me on trips more easily....

Advertisement