Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kingston 128gb SSD from dabs.ie €76.28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

In-depth review here.. seems decent alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,815 ✭✭✭stimpson

I've the V100 version in my MacBook (3gb/sec). Cracking drive. Highly recommended for a laptop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,427 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

I got the email from dabs myself!
    Doubt it'll still be at that price when money clears to my credit card on Monday or Tuesday.
    Pity they don't accept laser!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭LiamKK1982

Could anyone tell me if this would work ok in a ps3 and would it make any difference to loading times or general performance

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

iggy wrote: »
    I think the Samsung 830 had free delivery for €99 ,so this one works out about €83 delivered

Samsung drive being twice faster?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

the 830's and the crucial m4's are to the best of my knowledge the preferred ones to get unless you're looking to spend lots and lots of money

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Basq wrote: »
    In-depth review here.. seems decent alright!

That's not the same drive...

Also there's a V200 and a V+ 200, which turns in most results :/. This drive had problems initially but it was fixed in recent firmware. This seems like a reasonable review but I haven't read it yet:
    http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=6488&review=kingston+ssdnow+v200+ssd+7mm

Took the plunge anyway, can't be that bad sure! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 939 ✭✭✭kenyard

been looking at this also. figured there would be comments on it here so dropped in to see reviews... would like to hear from someone about it before getting it...

i guess its cheap because they probably dont work out of the box as expected and need the firmware update.
    All Kingston SSDNow V200 drives now shipping from the factory have the new firmware in place. Current owners with the old V200 drives will be able to download the new firmware update from the Kingston support website.

kenyard wrote: »
    been looking at this also. figured there would be comments on it here so dropped in to see reviews... would like to hear from someone about it before getting it...

i guess its cheap because they probably dont work out of the box as expected and need the firmware update.
    All Kingston SSDNow V200 drives now shipping from the factory have the new firmware in place. Current owners with the old V200 drives will be able to download the new firmware update from the Kingston support website.

I looked into the situation, and after reading the review and seeing that an f/w update could fix any performance issues, I figured why not? for 83 bucks inc delivery it's pretty cheap for an SSD :)

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

marcbrophy wrote: »
    I looked into the situation, and after reading the review and seeing that an f/w update could fix any performance issues, I figured why not? for 83 bucks inc delivery it's pretty cheap for an SSD [IMG]file:///C:%5CUsers%5CDale%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_image001.gif[/IMG]

Same as that, I've been thinking of biting the SSD bullet for a while now and €83 aint too bad imo.

On a side note, anyone have any experience with disc imagers?

I wouldn't use disc imaging software going from HDD -> SSD. Windows sets itself up differently when installing to SSD. You'd be much better off with a complete reinstall, while troublesome it will pay off in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Dirk_digbee

Would I get away with in the short term?

I was thinking of upgrading from Vista to either Win 7 or 8 (when it’s released) so I really didn’t want to reset my system only to have to do it all over again in a few months.

Apologies for getting away from the thread.

Same as that, I've been thinking of biting the SSD bullet for a while now and €83 aint too bad imo.

On a side note, anyone have any experience with disc imagers?

Yeah, i think €83 is reasonable enough for my first go at an SSD.
    Shipped from dabs this afternoon, so i'll hopefully get in by the end of the week!
    Monotype wrote: »
    I wouldn't use disc imaging software going from HDD -> SSD. Windows sets itself up differently when installing to SSD. You'd be much better off with a complete reinstall, while troublesome it will pay off in the long run.

That's a fair point!
    My computer's had this windows set up now for coming on 18 months, so is 'due' a fresh install!

Would I get away with in the short term?

I was thinking of upgrading from Vista to either Win 7 or 8 (when it’s released) so I really didn’t want to reset my system only to have to do it all over again in a few months.

Apologies for getting away from the thread.

It would probably work, of course. But turn off automatic disk de-fragmentation. Vista doesn't make as good use of SSDs as Windows 7 anyway. You could always install a Windows 7 trial and run it for 120 days without a license, if you didn't want to buy immediately. Windows 8 doesn't look really spectacular. I think the most interesting thing is really only a better copy system (for copying files).
    However, if you're not in a hurry, SSDs are probably not going to climb up a lot in that amount of time unless there's a disaster at the factories. We might even see better drives at this price in a few months.

apparently when you run that thing on windows 7(and i assume 8)- windows experience index, it recognises you have a ssd and turns off defrag etc...

although it is pretty much recommended everywhere not to clone a hdd to ssd alright :)

is this compatible with laptops btw? would almost like one for my lappy as i dont often have much space used on it anyway what with external drives

is this compatible with laptops btw? would almost like one for my lappy as i dont often have much space used on it anyway what with external drives

Yes. It is the standard laptop size. Some ultra books will use the slim 7mm SSDs.

Finally got this today! Took 8 days to get to me :mad:

Did anyone else go for this BA, or was I the only eejit? :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Works grand, the Kingston drive I got came with Acronis TrueImage, took about 15 minutes to image everything over.

You just need to make sure TRIM is enabled and its fine.

Database performance on my Mediaportal installation is around 5 times faster than on a standard HDD.

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Dothehustle

marcbrophy wrote: »
    Finally got this today! Took 8 days to get to me :mad:

Did anyone else go for this BA, or was I the only eejit? :pac:

nope me too
    ordered it on the 2nd and got a text saying it has arrived
    is there any firmware upgrade to do
    much faster ??

nope me too
    ordered it on the 2nd and got a text saying it has arrived
    is there any firmware upgrade to do
    much faster ??

Just got it here on my desk in work, so not sure about the firmware!
    It better be faster, or else it will be going straight back to dabs! :pac:

the firmware upgrade is to stop it getting slower over time.. also apparently increases transfer rates also..
    goodluck with them :)
    i cant be bothered reinstalling everything on my laptop is the only reason im not getting one.. will wait till this burns out or im buying a new one methinks!

the firmware upgrade is to stop it getting slower over time.. also apparently increases transfer rates also..
    goodluck with them :)
    i cant be bothered reinstalling everything on my laptop is the only reason im not getting one.. will wait till this burns out or im buying a new one methinks!

Yeah, I'm thinking about getting one of those 2nd drive caddy's that you put in your optical drive bay, rather than having to get into the guts of this dell inspiron! I can change the boot priority in the bios then, and I'll be laughing :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

I've done multiple systems from HD to SSD without much issues. You generally won't notice the speed differences unless you got testing for them, and even then not always.

The other thing I got from most people I stuck on SSDs was that you don't notice the speed differences until you use a computer without one, then it seems like the dark ages again. All those tiny pauses that you used to ignore just disappear with an ssd.

For reliability, I've one of the older SSDNow drives and it is still going strong 18 months after. It is in a gaming machine so not overly taxed. SSDs do fail in strange ways however but I've yet to see data corruption from one like on a HD. They either work or don't work, never anything inbetween strangely.

Ryaner wrote: »
    I've done multiple systems from HD to SSD without much issues. You generally won't notice the speed differences unless you got testing for them, and even then not always.

The other thing I got from most people I stuck on SSDs was that you don't notice the speed differences until you use a computer without one, then it seems like the dark ages again. All those tiny pauses that you used to ignore just disappear with an ssd.

For reliability, I've one of the older SSDNow drives and it is still going strong 18 months after. It is in a gaming machine so not overly taxed. SSDs do fail in strange ways however but I've yet to see data corruption from one like on a HD. They either work or don't work, never anything inbetween strangely.

I'm sorry, but what do you mean by the highlighted part? :)

As in you probably wouldn't notice the difference going from 400MB/s to 300MB/s. Most users would see any difference. You'd need to be a heavy user or to test out the speeds via benchmark tools or copy tests. They're more responsive than HDDs even when badly set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭Ryaner

As in you probably wouldn't notice the difference going from 400MB/s to 300MB/s. Most users would see any difference. You'd need to be a heavy user or to test out the speeds via benchmark tools or copy tests. They're more responsive than HDDs even when badly set up.

Exactly. I was putting SSDs into machines before TRIM was available in windows, and even under heavy write load the users didn't notice the slowdown after months of use.
    It is very rare that you actually need high sustained throughput during normal usage, even file copying normally has other bottlenecks like the network. Its the random io access that makes SSDs what they are for users, and even a crappy one (the original 6 months worth of drives excluded) will out perform any mechanical HD.

• Advertisement

whats max transfer speed with usb 3 (which i dont have, just curious)?
    i guess that a normal HDD can handle the speeds no hassle? or would having a ssd be of benefit?

only reason to switch to a ssd for me would be boot times and i dont think thats worth 70 euro to me as of yet when it would only cut times in half or whatever

Advertisement