Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Cracking letter in today's IT

124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Jawgap wrote: »
    Dublin 15.....doesn't that extend into Meath....:)

That's Castleknock you're thinking of, starts at the Phoenix Park, ends somewhere around Dunboyne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

ThisRegard wrote: »
    That's Castleknock you're thinking of, starts at the Phoenix Park, ends somewhere around Dunboyne.

I once had someone, in all seriousness, tell me that they lived in "Castleknock Upper"

Where's that? I asked.

Again in all seriousness they explained it was from Auburn Ave /. Georgian Village to the Park.

What about the village, says I.

That's "Castleknock Middle" says them.

And beyond the village? I queried.

Oh that's "Castleknock Lower".........they answered.

I think a good chunk of what you are referring to is Castleknock Lower.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Where do most scousers come from?

Everton Town.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think banter between friends is fine, but casting an aspersion on an entire area in the name of a cheap joke never sits easy with me.

Maybe I should be less sensitive, I'm not even from the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭doiredoire

Raam wrote: »
    I think banter between friends is fine, but casting an aspersion on an entire area in the name of a cheap joke never sits easy with me.

No I don't think you should be less sensitive.

I really enjoy slagging and banter between friends and acquaintances but humour can and is often used to put people down. If the slagging is directed at vulnerable or minority groups it crosses a line. I remember working in London in 80s and the jibes and puts downs from some English people was quite clearly a way of trying to put you in your place. When you challenged them the answer was 'I was only joking, have you no sense of humour, it's all in a bit of fun?'

Some of the comments about Coolock in this thread remind me of similar comments I would have got in London years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »

Go back to Poshmarnock and the manor!

Roddy Doyle has a lot to answer for........

.......so has Paul Howard!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭stecleary

Seriously are people from coolock actually taking offence here? Im from coolock all my life and with out winning the lotto I'll be staying here. Its a **** hole like everywhere else in Dublin.
    It's the people that make the area not the houses.
    There are some serious gick balls all around Dublin not just in coolock

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Dublin 15.....doesn't that extend into Meath....:)

Grew up further South (down the Malahide Road) - if people from Cooooooolock can't take a bit of banter they should move to Artane or Beaumont or whatever Donnycarney is calling itself these days......

Clontarf?

Kav0777 wrote: »
    Clontarf?

Clontarf North maybe?

I'm from Clontarf West (Marino).........

.........it's D3, it counts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭Kav0777

Clontarf North maybe?

I'm from Clontarf West (Marino).........

.........it's D3, it counts

straws.jpg

here's something else for you to grasp at ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

ThisRegard wrote: »

I live in the "disputed territory of Dublin 15".

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

doiredoire wrote: »
    No I don't think you should be less sensitive.

I really enjoy slagging and banter between friends and acquaintances but humour can and is often used to put people down. If the slagging is directed at vulnerable or minority groups it crosses a line. I remember working in London in 80s and the jibes and puts downs from some English people was quite clearly a way of trying to put you in your place. When you challenged them the answer was 'I was only joking, have you no sense of humour, it's all in a bit of fun?'

Some of the comments about Coolock in this thread remind me of similar comments I would have got in London years ago.

Yeah, I got that. Mind you, our local (cyclists welcome!) has a lot of banter/slagging going on but there's such a mix of Irish/British/other there - it's usually good natured.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,818 ✭✭✭Inspector Coptoor

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,347 ✭✭✭No Pants

Is that from the same guy who writes the IPayRoadTax website? The writing style is quite similar.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

No Pants wrote: »
    Is that from the same guy who writes the IPayRoadTax website? The writing style is quite similar.

Yes. It's Carlton Reid.

He's also writing http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

monument wrote: »

The observation of lady cyclists in this article gave me a giggle

Autocar1899p1-940x525.jpg

Advertisement