Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Are you a masher or a spinner (pros/cons)

• 09-04-2014 5:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭

Have noticed some interesting stats recently when doing workouts on the turbo. When I'm doing intervals I like to mix the cadences a bit and do some at a low RPM, 65-75 and some at a higher RPM, say 110-120 or 120-130RPM. Have only just started using Trainerroad with virtual power and I would deem it to be fairly accurate as I did some testing last year in Trinity on something like a Wattbike with very accurate power. From perceived exertion alone I think the power readouts are pretty close +/-10W but that's beside the point.

Low Cadence
    I find the perceived effort to be higher but my HR rate is telling me otherwise. Also I find it more difficult to keep a consistent power. It's jumping constantly.

High Cadence
    Conversely, perceived effort is a little lower but HR is higher and I seem to be able to keep a much steadier power output to +/-3W easily enough (doing intervals at about 120%FTP).

Curious to hear other peoples experience.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Not a competitive cyclist, so may not be relevant, but for longer hilly cycles particularly, I find spinning saves my knees. On the turbo, I usually have an average cadence of 85 to 90rpm over half an hour, 83-85 for an hour. Tried to bring it up to 100rpm for the half hour, but haven't got better than 96rpm on one of the hilly tacx vr courses. Power output is seems more consistent at high cadences, but lower overall than mashing a higher gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭dancrowley

I guess i'm a spinner. I'll keep between 80-100 rpm, generally. Like smacl said, it's easier on the knees and allows me to go further.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭pprendeville

92 seems to be my sweetspot. Anything below it and i feel I'm labouring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

I am was a masher, it cost me a couple of hundred in physio sessions for my knees last year (kneecaps were grinding or summit), now I'm about mid-way between masher and spinner & my knees are AOK :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,146 ✭✭✭Morrisseeee

Ullrich or a Lance ?

Remember that the masher won the TDF, the spinner won.........nothing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭mcgratheoin

Low Cadence
    I find the perceived effort to be higher but my HR rate is telling me otherwise. Also I find it more difficult to keep a consistent power. It's jumping constantly.

High Cadence
    Conversely, perceived effort is a little lower but HR is higher and I seem to be able to keep a much steadier power output to +/-3W easily enough (doing intervals at about 120%FTP).

Curious to hear other peoples experience.

I may be wrong, but as far as I understand it, doesn't a low cadence place more of the workload on your muscles versus a high cadence placing the workload on your cardiovascular system. Hence when you're mashing a high gear your heart rate may not be as high but your legs are more likely to start hurting and it may feel more painful. In a high cadence your cardiovascular system is taking more of the load so your heart rate will be higher but your muscles may not be hurting as much.

From my own point of view, I'm trying actively to be more of a spinner - my average cadence for the headstrong spin at the weekend was 83, including all the non-pedalling downhill bits. If i take a 10km on the flat at the beginning where there are no pedalling breaks, my average was 91. I try to pedal in and around 90-110 if possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,457 ✭✭✭lennymc

i used to be a masher, but now am more of a spinner, avg about 90ish on a spin. In racing im sometimes sitting at over 100 - 110 (im sure others go faster) and my max is about 150 in a sprint. Sometimes i will mash in the 60-70 range. I find I tire less quickly spinning verses mashing but i think you should be able to do a bit of both.

I may be wrong, but as far as I understand it, doesn't a low cadence place more of the workload on your muscles versus a high cadence placing the workload on your cardiovascular system. Hence when you're mashing a high gear your heart rate may not be as high but your legs are more likely to start hurting and it may feel more painful. In a high cadence your cardiovascular system is taking more of the load so your heart rate will be higher but your muscles may not be hurting as much.

From my own point of view, I'm trying actively to be more of a spinner - my average cadence for the headstrong spin at the weekend was 83, including all the non-pedalling downhill bits. If i take a 10km on the flat at the beginning where there are no pedalling breaks, my average was 91. I try to pedal in and around 90-110 if possible

That makes perfect sense. Cheers. Another odd thing I remembered from last year was in the last stage of the Wexford 2 day I started to cramp the
    last time up the last hill. Was spinning away and all of a sudden I had to slow down and shifted into a smaller gear which naturally reduced my cadence, got out of the saddle and was ok. Can you explain that one for me?

Ullrich or a Lance ?

Dangerous territory there. Would like to comment on Ullrich but afraid of a ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Spinner generally, the lower the cadence the more the power jumps depending on how hard you stamp on the pedals, I find once you get up to 90+ the power you output seems more consistent to me, probably due to the fact its sampling the data every 1 second and at lower cadence that's more prone to variance depending on where in the pedal stroke you are. Anyways that's what I have surmised using my Powertap on the Turbo with Trainer Road.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,590 ✭✭✭jane82

I just cycle to build the leg muscles. I go up big hills in big geRs and eat alot of protein. I find this builds the legs great. The lads that pass by me like im stationary are moving their legs way faster than me on lighter gears. They usually have freakishly little waists as well though which Id say is part of it.
    I read somewhere that between 90-100 rpm is the ideal for energy management. 3 spins in 2 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭witty username

Dangerous territory there. Would like to comment on Ullrich but afraid of a ban.

Ulrich has admitted to doping and besides, there is plenty of DNA evidence to back it all up.

Anyway, he didn't mash as much as was made out, that was pro-armstrong waffle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭shaka

Was a masher too , after a bad year back and knee wise going over to the spinner side , finding it hard.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

A spinner on the flat, when climbing it very much depends on my mood. If I feel rested and strong I'll mash that bad boy, but typically I don't, so I spin it all the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

I'm both and something in between. Really depends on the terrain I think. On the flats I'd be rolling around at 80-90rpm, once I hit a hill goes down to 70-80, in case of very steep hills it'll be 60rpm or in case of Kilmashogue lane I'll be just happy to have the cranks turning at all. On descents or flats with big tailwinds I'd be spinning 100-110rpm. The max rpm I don't know, the cadence meter I have tops out at 180rpm.

That makes perfect sense. Cheers. Another odd thing I remembered from last year was in the last stage of the Wexford 2 day I started to cramp the last time up the last hill. Was spinning away and all of a sudden I had to slow down and shifted into a smaller gear which naturally reduced my cadence, got out of the saddle and was ok. Can you explain that one for me?

In a word - No.

I find if i get a calf cramp that getting out of the saddle will help, mainly because I can stretch out the muscle much more when standing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,596 ✭✭✭happytramp

I spin like mad all the time. I probably look ridiculous but my knees hurt if I shift into the big chainring.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Out and out masher. I have never had a low geared bike, and over the last 10 years none of my bikes had working small gears so I operated in the top 3 all the time, or in the case of one just the top one gear for 5 years. I would like to develop my cadence more, the track stuff is helping. Lower gears on my bike are going to be revealed tomorrow I hope (Thank you cdaly_!) and I can work more on it then. I do like the power I have, I am only starting to realize I have any as I get out into groups more.

Stupid question, do you lose power as you go up cadence wise? This would be my fear. Can yo have both comfortably? The power is hard won!

gadetra wrote: »
    Stupid question, do you lose power as you go up cadence wise? This would be my fear. Can yo have both comfortably? The power is hard won!

no stupid questions, only stupid people (who don't ask questions)

power is not necessarily lost when increasing cadence. Power is Work/Time, and work is Force x Distance. In simple terms for cadence calculations, the Distance value is equal to the number of revolutions of your pedals. Basically it means that if you spin twice as fast, you only have to apply half the force to the pedals for the same power output.

no stupid questions, only stupid people (who don't ask questions)

power is not necessarily lost when increasing cadence. Power is Work/Time, and work is Force x Distance. In simple terms for cadence calculations, the Distance value is equal to the number of revolutions of your pedals. Basically it means that if you spin twice as fast, you only have to apply half the force to the pedals for the same power output.

Ahh I get you now. A lightbulb just went off in my head. Thanks for that! I shall go forth and attempt to spin without fear!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

gadetra wrote: »

Yes. Think about track. We wanna get up to a certain speed on a single gear you have to be able to use power to get the whole thing moving as quickly as possible, say a 50x15 in pursuit, then you have to keep lifting and lifting it and then spin what is a pretty small gear realistically at high enough cadence to keep the highest speed possible.

Then for a Flying 200 you'd go bigger gear, maybe 50x14, and even though you get much more time to spin up you're still using power to spin it for as long as possible, as high as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

If I mash, I'll very quickly feel my knees complaining

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,747 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Why? Ullrich admitted blood doping.

He wasn't a "masher" either. He was a beast.

As to the original question, I more naturally spin a lower cadence. When I was a young fella I thought that using the small ring was an admission of failure.

These days I know better and try to keep a nice smooth cadence. Not that I have a cadence sensor, I used one for a while and found it very distracting.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

I always was a spinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cycleoin86

Ullrich or a Lance ?

Tell that to froomy... I think I heard / read that he was spinning 105 when he was attacking on the big alpine climbs (as oppossed to the SMALL (!) alpine climbs) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭XtotheZ

small gears when in the bunch to save my quads.

Big gears on the attack. That said I dont grind, just relevetivly nice cadence nothing special

I train in big gears aswell, to the point that if im going up a climb and i start to feel a loss of speed I drop her down another gear and start pushing harder. Only way to train

XtotheZ wrote: »
    small gears when in the bunch to save my quads.

Big gears on the attack. That said I dont grind, just relevetivly nice cadence nothing special

I train in big gears aswell, to the point that if im going up a climb and i start to feel a loss of speed I drop her down another gear and start pushing harder. Only way to train

Why? What advantage is it?

Brian? wrote: »
    Why? Ullrich admitted blood doping.

He wasn't a "masher" either. He was a beast.

As to the original question, I more naturally spin a lower cadence. When I was a young fella I thought that using the small ring was an admission of failure.

These days I know better and try to keep a nice smooth cadence. Not that I have a cadence sensor, I used one for a while and found it very distracting.

Oops, seem to have missed that confession. Like Lances tweet after it though.

"Jan Ullrich? Warm hearted. Amazing athlete. Great competitor. Loved toeing the line with you my friend."

• Registered Users Posts: 5,812 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Natural spinner here. Ain't got the power for mashing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭mamax

Spinner 99% of the time but go hard downhill, my knees would give up if I mashed any more than that :)

Advertisement